Author Topic: Unintended consequence  (Read 1521 times)

tombogan03884

Unintended consequence
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091216/ap_on_re_us/us_snow_covered_stoplights

MILWAUKEE – Cities around the country that have installed energy-efficient traffic lights are discovering a hazardous downside: The bulbs don't burn hot enough to melt snow and can become crusted over in a storm — a problem blamed for dozens of accidents and at least one death.

"I've never had to put up with this in the past," said Duane Kassens, a driver from West Bend who got into a fender-bender recently because he couldn't see the lights. "The police officer told me the new lights weren't melting the snow. How is that safe?"

Many communities have switched to LED bulbs in their traffic lights because they use 90 percent less energy than the old incandescent variety, last far longer and save money. Their great advantage is also their drawback: They do not waste energy by producing heat.

Authorities in several states are testing possible solutions, including installing weather shields, adding heating elements like those used in airport runway lights, or coating the lights with water-repellent substances.

Short of some kind of technological fix, "as far as I'm aware, all that can be done is to have crews clean off the snow by hand," said Green Bay, Wis., police Lt. Jim Runge. "It's a bit labor-intensive."

How about scrapping them and going back to incandescent's ?

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
Re: Unintended consequence
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
DOH!
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
Talk about irony.  The CO2 released during production of the extra energy required to run the incandescent bulbs could have easily been offset by the trees used to make paper for the accident reports.   ::)  Wrap you brain around that one, Mr. Gore!

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
Not to mention the money saved on electricity can now help fund the research into how to keep the lights cleared.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »
Go green...  I feel bad for the people that got in a wreck, but thats damn funny.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:47:32 PM »

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:54 AM »
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
 New for Christmas the "Chia Chump"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk