Author Topic: New S&W Today  (Read 4143 times)

tombogan03884

Re: New S&W Today
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:52:45 PM »
I would never remove the lock if I was in your shoes! Buy a gun without the lock if that's what you're looking for & save yourself the possible headache. If you do have an accidental discharge the lawyers(& anti-gun crowd) will be all over the removal of a lock that the factory installed. How many cases have you heard where the lock unintentionally engages? I've never heard of it happening....I personally wouldn't buy a gun with a built in lock for carry though.
Micheal Bane details his own occurrence in his blog and on the podcast.  (I have no clue on date, check around the middle of '09
It happened on a friend of mine's J frame but that was because the grip had split on the inside and a piece of wood jammed the lock.

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
The moderator of this forum, Michael Bane has had the lockup problem with Smith's revolver locks.  He's had them all removed.

It's on his blog...it's why I shyed away from the S&W revolvers.  My index finger is my safety, and the grey matter between my ears.  Besides, there is no legal requirement for it in 49 states including MA.

tekoken

• "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
  • Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »
I saw Micheal's article but couldn't find any others....I also saw Micheal posted this after.
I have to tell you that at the last minute, I opted NOT to send the gun back to S&W. Packed it up; put it in the car to take to the shipper and changed my mind.

My reasoning is frankly self-centered, but it goes like this: My 329 did have an action job from Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision, who does the action work on most of my working S&W revolvers. Jim by design DID NOT touch any of the lock mechanism during the course of the action job. However, there was a better than even chance that S&W would point to the action job as the culprit in the jam. I did not want to drag a friend of mine into a potential confrontation with a major gun company. Secondly, Jim asked me for the gun back for him to check over.

I decided that because I bought the 329 used on the retail market and commissioned and paid for the work on the gun myself, Jim should have first crack at it.

If this had been a stock gun provided to me by S&W for test and evaluation, I would have acted differently.

BTW, S&W does not sponsor my shows or my Internet projects.

Michael B

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour." George Washington

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
There is another one later where he talks about recoil causing it to engage.
(had to edit my first post, The Guy in Alaska had the 454 bullets back out of the casing and jam the action. )

tekoken

• "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
  • Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
I'm not saying it can't happen but the only article I found where it did happen was M.B.. And I'll say it again I would never ever ever buy a gun with a built in lock but if someone gave me one as a goof I sure as hell wouldn't put my bank account on the line by removing it! There's plenty of lock less guns out there for sale.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour." George Washington

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:49:53 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk