Poll

Who's the best candidate for real thinking Americans ?  Why ?

Bachmann
4 (16%)
Perry
15 (60%)
Cain
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Bachmann, Perry or Cain  (Read 8660 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Bachmann, Perry or Cain
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »

Let's hope it was a real moment and not one for show.

I agree on the electability, just don't know who he really is.

read  my latest post here.

Here's the thread
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=17248.0

To go straight to the linked article click here

http://www.redstate.com/izoneguy/2011/08/14/seventeen-17-things-that-critics-are-saying-about-rick-perry/

OK. You all know who I support but this thread is about three other candidates so I'll give you my take on them. I'll start with the one I like most of the three and go from there.

Herman Cain
I like his authenticity, he doesn't have that politician feel to him. I know that's completely subjective but a big part of this process are the subjective factors each of us decide is important to us. Another thing I like about him is has executive experience. The man knows how to come up with a vision and sell it to others. He has the right values to me. He is a social conservative as well as a fiscal conservative. Admittedly, I don't know much about him beyond the basic stuff that I have read in the media but what I have read I like.
I agree with everything you say here . My 2 questions are  1, has Obummer poisoned the well for black candidates ?
2, While he has executive experience, is that enough to allow him to wield political power effectively.
I can run the crap out of CNC milling machines, and CNC punch presses, but I can't do anything on a CNC lathe, the controls are different.

Michelle Bachman
I like the fact she voted against raising the debt ceiling and voted against Obaminy Care. But based on her background as a lawyer who sued tax payers on behalf of the IRS, I question her core fiscal values as a conservative, wannabe libertarian. She also has voted consistently to take some of our civil rights away (Patriot Act). For me, when someone calls themselves a conservative I'm going to look at how they stand not just on the traditional issues that have defined what a conservative is but also issues that have typically been the domain of liberals. Michelle Bachman gives me pause when I use that yardstick.
I'm not familiar with her career with IRS, I will say, we already have a butt load of Lawyers in DC. That's part of the problem, lawyers never actually produce anything but arguments that disregard right and wrong in favor of the placement of a comma in a document.
Her support of the Patriot Act is perfectly in line with the Conservative principle of a strong National Defense, also people like the Ft Hood shooter, (He was shot in the act, in front of dozens of witnesses, there is no alleged. ) shows that there are those in the country who we need to be suspicious of.
One problem I have with her is that she supposedly suffers from migraines, I have worked with a guy who had that problem and when one hit him he was barely functional the rest of the shift.
On the other hand he returned to active duty as an Army Combat Engineer.

Rick Perry
I really am concerned about this guy for several reasons. He ran Al Gore's campaign in Texas back in 1988. One doesn't get to that level being on the fence. I still believe he is a collectivist and I believe these convictions will be manifest should he become president. Then there is his attendance to the Bilderberg conference in 1997. For those of you who don't know this is a super-secret invitation only event. Many government officials from around the world, and business leaders from around the world, get together to discuss and form strategy on a global scale. The people who attend this conference are globalists who wish to diminish or eliminate national sovereignty. Again, fence sitters are not welcome there. They only invite those who are willing to drink from the cup of globalism. And let's not forget his foot dragging on putting a bill backon the calendar that would have made TSA groping a felony in Texas. When it finally got back on the calendar in the special session, enough house members had been contacted by the government to change their votes and the bill died. That one stinks...In short, "Slick" Rick Perry is an example of an establishment candidate we do not need. I know he says all the right things but I would encourage everyone to do their research; this goes double for me....
These and several other issues are covered in TW's link, check it out, it's long, but worth it.

Thanks!
-FA

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:28 PM »
"I agree with everything you say here . My 2 questions are  1, has Obummer poisoned the well for black candidates ?
2, While he has executive experience, is that enough to allow him to wield political power effectively.
I can run the crap out of CNC milling machines, and CNC punch presses, but I can't do anything on a CNC lathe, the controls are different."

Tom, I don't think Obama has poisoned it too much. Let's face it he may be the one of the worst if not the worst president we ever had, but I think he is light years ahead of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Cain steps in and offers a good choice for conservatives.

As for the second question, I have to say that is an excellent question for which I don't have an adequate answer. My best answer is his executive experience trumps Obama's community organizing but someone who ran a lemonade stand would qualify on that standard.  ;)

On Michelle Bachman, you make some good points...

As for Rick Perry, I will check out TWs link and do my due diligence.

Thanks!
-FA

tombogan03884

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
"I agree with everything you say here . My 2 questions are  1, has Obummer poisoned the well for black candidates ?
I can run the crap out of CNC milling machines, and CNC punch presses, but I can't do anything on a CNC lathe, the controls are different."

Tom, I don't think Obama has poisoned it too much. Let's face it he may be the one of the worst if not the worst president we ever had, but I think he is light years ahead of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Cain steps in and offers a good choice for conservatives.

As for the second question, I have to say that is an excellent question for which I don't have an adequate answer. My best answer is his executive experience trumps Obama's community organizing but someone who ran a lemonade stand would qualify on that standard.  ;)

On Michelle Bachman, you make some good points...

As for Rick Perry, I will check out TWs link and do my due diligence.

Thanks!
-FA

That was why I started this thread. I still haven't voted in my own poll  because I still have not made up my mind.
It is imperative that we find the right candidate that the most people can support.
The most important votes are not the national election where Dems will vote D and Rep will vote R, it is the primaries where we pick the D and R candidates.
We really screwed the pooch last time.

tombogan03884

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »
I thought Bachmann was a Governor ?
This article says Congresswoman.
Note how they skip over Cain and the others who beat Romney .

http://news.yahoo.com/pecking-order-gop-field-shifts-race-wh-211957404.html

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Suddenly facing two serious rivals, GOP front-runner Mitt Romney declared on Monday his business background sets him apart in the presidential race and dismissed the buzz over emerging challengers as "the political winds of the day." Rick Perry insisted no one could go "toe to toe" with him, and rising star Michele Bachmann tried to turn her Iowa straw poll victory into gains against both men.

In less than a week, the slow-to-begin race for the Republican nomination has accelerated and undergone a dramatic shift, essentially becoming a three-way contest for the chance to challenge President Barack Obama next year.

Romney, who has been riding high for months while other Republicans have been struggling to emerge from the pack, now finds himself facing two significant foes in Perry, the Texas governor who formally entered the race only Saturday, and Bachmann, the Minnesota congresswoman who won the Iowa straw poll that same day.

"It's a wide-open race," Gov. Terry Branstad declared after a five-day stretch that saw every Republican presidential candidate show up in his state, where party caucuses kick off the GOP nomination fight next winter. While Perry entered the nomination battle, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, exited, further reshuffling the deck.

Over the next few months, Romney, Bachmann and Perry will try to win over a GOP electorate angry at the change Obama has brought and looking for a candidate who has the right mix of credentials to beat the incumbent Democrat.

More at link

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
After conversing with some folks whose political knowledge I respect:

Rubio is too valuable in the senate to be veep.

Cruz is the ultimate 'up & comer'

Bachman needs to lose some 'DIVA' ism

MP
Best Wishes, Mike.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 05:27:08 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
I just got this from Cain

Herman's Weekly Commentary: "Inside the presidential debate: A missed opportunity for the voters"

Published: Sunday, August 14, 2011

First, let’s clarify some of the media noise about my campaign and my intentions.

I am running for president, seeking the Republican nomination. I finished 5th in the Iowa straw-poll last Saturday ahead of six other candidates. The candidates who finished ahead of me spent millions on TV and radio advertising, and we spent $0.

We have no debt beyond travel and other expenses, which we settle within 30 days after the end of the month. We are raising money at a rate ahead of expenses. We are running the campaign like a business. What a novel idea, and it’s working!

With a national name ID of just 46 percent, I have no intentions of dropping out of the race. All of those predictions of the demise of my campaign are all self folly.

Now, last week all media eyes were on Iowa with the latest presidential debate and the Iowa straw poll. Both events are barometers of knowledge of the issues and their respective solutions, presentation, communication skills and how well a candidate can get his supporters to turn out for events. But neither event is a predictor of who will ultimately win the Republican Party’s nomination.

On most of the really important issues, the other candidates and I are not that far apart. We all generally agree on not raising taxes, reducing federal spending and the size of the federal government, and that the current administration has the nation headed in the wrong direction.

The differences in how we would each change that direction is what the public wants to know. But that was not easily apparent due to the way the questions were structured, and the disproportionate amount of time each candidate had on camera in front of a national Fox News audience. Most of the questions were directed at the politicians about what they had done, or not done, or said, or not said in the past to put them on the defensive – or to them against one another to spice up the exchange.

The fiery exchange set up between Representative Bachmann and Governor Pawlenty did not achieve a substantive outcome for the viewers. Both candidates were simply trying to hold their ground against each other over differences they had back in their home state of Minnesota. It was counter-productive.

During the break following former Speaker Newt Gingrich’s challenge to Chris Wallace about gotcha questions, I thanked him for doing so because gotcha questions were also counter-productive. Newt’s long political career gave him more inherent authority to do that without being perceived as a whiner.

And then there were the three questions from Chris Wallace to me, which I was suppose to answer in one minute, which was the time we were allowed to give a response – or we get that annoying bell indicating that we have gone on too long. During the following break, I pointed out to Chris that answering three questions in a minute was not practical. He vaguely agreed.

But I did manage to salvage part of that packed minute to point out my four-part solution to the immigration problem: Secure the border for real, enforce the laws that already exist, empower the states to enforce those laws, and promote the current legal path to citizenship. It’s called legal immigration.

As the lone businessman problem-solver, I had my hands full up against eight politicians in a tightly structured format. I was actually only on air for about 7.5 minutes of the two hour program, against the eight politicians who were all on camera longer except for one. Although Mitt Romney was a businessman early in his career, his tenure as a governor, as a previous presidential contender, and his on-going defense of RomneyCare makes him more of a politician.

One of the most rewarding moments for me was when I had the opportunity to distinguish myself as the candidate most focused on economic growth and jobs. I took advantage of two opportunities to give some specifics about my previously released economic vision for America (Commentaries on June 27,July 4 and  July 11, 2011). Feedback from various sources suggested that the response connected with the audience.

Another enjoyable moment was when I responded to a question about being serious about securing the border with a moat with alligators and a barbed wire fence. Spontaneously, I simply said, “America needs to learn how to take a joke.”

Upon reflection, the American people do have much more of a sense of humor than a lot of media people, because people at rallies and town hall meetings get the joke. They laugh! Media people want to know if I’m serious. That’s a joke!

Although former Gov. Pawlenty has announced that he is ending his race after last Saturday’s Iowa straw poll, he was one of the most genuinely nice opponents in the race. I wish him well in wherever his future takes him.

Whereas the debate gave some people a chance to learn about some of the candidate’s ideas for solving problems, different people have different ideas about who won. So pick your favorite candidate and declare them the winner.

But clearly, the American people lost an opportunity to learn more than they did.

While I will cheerfully support any one of these three, I think I have to come down behind Perry.
Govs traditionally make the best Presidents (except that A hole carter ) and the biggest problems facing America, aside from the democrats, are SPENDING and JOBS, Perry, based on his performance seems to have the best handle on that.

tombogan03884

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
Bachmann is done, she just doesn't know it yet.
It was bad enough that she confused John Wayne, the American icon with John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer.

But now, Haz posted in another thread that today, on the anniversary of Elvis's death, she wished him a happy birthday. She did this in South Carolina.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/politics/Bachmann-mistakenly-wishes-Elvis-a-happy-birthday-127881778.html

These type of mistakes indicate that she is either dumber than dirt, or she picks lousy advisers.
Neither one is a trait we want in a President.
In fact, I would say that picking bad advisers is a bigger sin than being stupid herself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk