Author Topic: XD loaded chamber indicator  (Read 4255 times)

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
XD loaded chamber indicator
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
I bought an XD .45 about 5 years ago.  Not long after I got it, the loaded chamber indicator got stuck in the up position.  Actually it appears to be kind of halfway between up and down, but it still sticks up.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Anybody know an easy fix?

tombogan03884

Re: XD loaded chamber indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
I've never seen an XD apart, but I would bet that if you disassembled it and cleaned out whatever channel or slot it rides in it would solve your problem.
Might need to get in there with a pipe cleaner to do it.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »
Like Tom said, it may be crud in such a tight space (I never realized how much crud and gunk can get in tight spaces until I finally did a total dis-assembly of my Glock). Try squirting some Kroil in there and maybe blowing it out with a can of compressed air.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
Springfield is REALLY good about their waranty.  I've had two in without a problem
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Springfield is REALLY good about their waranty.  I've had two in without a problem

If you decide to go with sending it back please let us know what they say for future reference.
I know that a lot of people will check past posts for this type of specific information.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:24:13 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:27 AM »
Mine gets crud in it and sticks up.   Not a big deal to me because, hey, as everyone knows:  #1  "A gun is always loaded".    I figure once it's really stuck it's time to give the slide a really good cleaning, too.   Could always take it out and narrow it a bit, reducing the tolerance on the sides.

I've been tempted to take mine out altogether but, then I might get DQ'd for disabling a safety "feature". 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »
Try soaking the area with Kroil Penetrating Oil, and allow it to sit overnight. Then blast the entire area with compressed air. Repeat that process several times. You'll be amazed at what comes out. I've become somewhat of an "expert" at finding ways to clean guns without taking them apart. I've seen too many horror stories over the years.

I knew one guy that ruined a Colt Woodsman trying to get it back together. There was no need to disassemble it. He just did so to clean it. I have one that has had at least 5,000 rounds through it over the years, and it has never been apart. Much the same can be said about the Ruger Mark II and Mark III pistols.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
In many cases, if you can't readily find the Kroil, PB B'Laster works too.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/LPS-Presolve-Orange-Degreaser-15-Ounce/dp/B000LDKZK6

I have a can of this stuff also. It works well in "getting the gunk out" of nooks and crannies in firearms. It's gentle and won't hurt the finish on grips and stocks. Just be sure to oil well after you use it because it will remove oil just like brake cleaner will.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
I sometimes use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber since it's made for guns, and now I have a C&S Dunk-Kit and can soak my guns for days at a time if need be. I had to soak my PPK and use Gun Scrubber too to get the brown rusty looking gunk out when it was brand new. http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=Dunk
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk