Author Topic: RANT  (Read 12565 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: RANT
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »
One thing I have noticed over time is how distance has been shortened up in general when shooting. At my clubs pistol range the minimum distance you can place a target is 25 yards. There is almost always no one there when I go. Most of the handgun shooters go to the general range where they can place targets as close as 7 yards.

25 yards is Gun 1.0, 7 yards is Gun 2.0.

Fact is, Bill, most people today are buying guns for SD, not 25 yard bulls eye shooting. SD shooting needs to be within 7 yards / 21 feet, so that is what most people shoot. Maybe your range ought to reconsider their restrictions, they might get more business.

Yes, I would like to be able to hit something consistently with tight groups at 25 yards, but that just ain't going to happen for me. I do not have the time or money to shoot that much and take that much instruction to reach that point. And with my eyes, I am happy with hand sized groups at 7 yards - if I could do that consistently.

I am taking some instruction to improve my SD skills, but 25 yards is out of the question - for me.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »
It's not so much the lack of distance, as it is the total lack of marksmanship. No one is saying you need to shoot 3" groups at 25 yards to be proficient with a handgun. What I see more often than not is emphasis placed on speed and firepower, than on accuracy. Accuracy is accuracy regardless of the range encountered. What I'm seeing isn't so much guys shooting at 7 yards, as it is guys who can't hit anything at 7 yards. Mostly because they are putting way too much emphasis on shooting quickly. A deliberate round that hits is more beneficial than 3 that miss. Regardless of how fast they were fired.

It is much the same regardless if one is talking pistol, rifle, or shotgun. I would rather face one of these "3-Gun" shotgun shooters, than I would a Trap doubles or 27 yard handicap champion in a dark alley.

Timothy

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
My clubs outdoor pistol range is 50 yards with trolleys that cross the range at 7, 10, 15 and 25 yards.  When we're there alone, we set up various targets at different ranges and get a good session transitioning form target to target.

On occasion, we'll do a pin shoot (if there aren't a lot of participants) and set the pins out at 25 yards.  It's quite a different shoot because it's not run and gun at 21 feet but rather, use the basics and make good hits.  We actually get more accurate because you're forced to use the fundamentals.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
The hot setup would be to train for SD at 7 yards, get smooth, fast and accurate.  

Then increase the range to 10 yards and repeat....

and repeat.

same amount of training and practice and shots fired at each range, you just gradually increase the range at which you work to become proficient.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
The discipline affects each persons range,some one who's sole focus is on SD will shoot at shorter ranges, while some.
 one focused on precision, like bull eye shooting will shoot longer ranges.

Take some one like Alf who shots several different styles, he doesn't practice all disciplines at the same range any more than he would use his GSSF pistol to practice his silhouette shooting.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:46:45 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
Maybe we have alot of new shooters these days who need guidance and help?

I generally shoot 7 yards and use a target that silouhettes (for better lack of term) the bones of the body.  I go center mass and strive to hit spine.  So long as most are within 2" of spine I feel OK.  I go for the T also and take more time with that shot.  When I drop to pelvis I'm quicker to fire and get back on target because the bone area is larger and significant hits come easier.

Of course, Mike (M58) can whip me any day.  And did a couple of years back.  However I did nail those little poppers at 50 yards instead of trying to run the course no one had time to run.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Fiveofclubs

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
There is some great conversation so I'll try not to ruin it with my 2 cents.

I grew up a Bullseye shooter, 25/50 yards, one hand, unsupported, 5 shot strings.  If it was outside the black it might as well be a miss and if it's not an X...well, hope the other guys are having bad days too.

Then I get turned on to IDPA USPSA, and three gun a few years ago.  It's a whole new world.  What I learned at first was, I'm slow, but I'm accurate.  Since then I know work on speed more than anything else.  Now it's about shooting fast, and accurate enough.  If it's a 6 inch steel plate you are trying to hit, you can be 2 inches off center and still be good.  Time to first shot, target transitioning, reloads are all other shooting skill just as important as sight picture and trigger control in the right shooting environment.  That said I also see a lot of people at the range that don't have any skill in sight picture or trigger control.  They are all skills with different levels of importance for difference styles of shooting.

I'll leave it with some advice from my father.  I asked why he preferred using his 1911 in the "other center fire" portions of bullseye matches and not a 9mm or his S&W Model 52 (which was more accurate).  He said 2 reasons:  1.  he could perfect his shooting with one gun and not have to thick about different weight, feel, sights.  And 2. .45 is bigger bullet, I can be further off and still get the X.  The point is, "fast" and "accurate" are all relative.
Michael
Five of Clubs
Bullseye, Reloading, IDPA, zombies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk