Author Topic: Anyone With An M1 Garand Tried This McCann Adj. Gas Plug From Brownells?  (Read 7152 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So the M1 mantra is milsurp loads, and store bought 30-06. AND if you do shoot store bought "hunting rds". use lighter 150 gr. bullets, to spare excess pressure on the op-rod, bolt, etc,...

For the record, until my CMP milsurp ammo cans came, I went and used store bought 150gr. Federal 30-06 SP "hunting rds." without a hiccup. As a matter of fact, they were more accurate.

However, since the 30-06 is loaded in a variety of weights, and fast/slow burning powders, this looks promising. Midway has another adj. version, I was just curious if one has tried or has positive feedback on this one from Brownells.

I want to be able to shoot ANY 30-06 rds. should (something) happen to inventory. Although I have a pretty "decent" current supply of US milsurp M2 BTFMJ.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1538/Product/M1-GARAND-ADJUSTABLE-GAS-SYSTEM

Thank you.

tw
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Anyone With An M1 Garand Tried This McCann Adj. Gas Plug From Brownells?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »
I've never tried one, but this might be a better choice, just so there are no small parts to keep track of;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20456/Product/ADJUSTABLE-GAS-SYSTEM

There is the advantage to having specific set screws to use instead of having to guesstimate.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
The schuster gas plug is what all the CMP guys told me to run. 

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
The schuster gas plug is what all the CMP guys told me to run. 

Thanks CJ and capbyrd, do you know if the instructions are specific enough for a given load? Or are you "experimenting"? The Schuster has 4 gas ports, I'm assuming from wide open to standard M1. I was just curious if it covers a setting for 168-187gr and 187-220gr...

I would hate to try a 180gr round, and make my best "guess" on how open the gas valve is, and have something "break".

Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type                                Velocity                    Energy
150 gr (9.7 g) Nosler Ballistic Tip    2,910 ft/s (890 m/s)    2,820 ft·lbf (3,820 J)
165 gr (10.7 g) BTSP              2,800 ft/s (850 m/s)    2,872 ft·lbf (3,894 J)
180 gr (12 g) Core-Lokt Soft Point 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s)    2,913 ft·lbf (3,949 J)
200 gr (13 g) Partition             2,569 ft/s (783 m/s)    2,932 ft·lbf (3,975 J)
220 gr (14 g) RN                     2,500 ft/s (760 m/s)    2,981 ft·lbf (4,042 J)
Test barrel length: 24 inch 60 cm

I dig a little more around. Thanks again.

tw

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
With the schuster, you start with the port fully open.  It makes the rifle a single shot.  and you close it a little more everytime until it starts cycling properly.  Once its there, you lock it down.  You can readjust later if necessary if you change your loads but the idea of the plug is to give it a way to to bleed off some of the pressure that would bend an op rod. 

Sponsor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk