Author Topic: Airguns on podcast  (Read 2832 times)

AE3007H1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Airguns on podcast
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
Michael, I am happy to hear you discuss the validity of air/pellet guns as a valid tool to have.  I have a Gammo brake over barrel spring type that shoots the lighter pellets at 1200fps (supersonic) and the heavier (cheaper cost I might add) pellets at 1000fps (subsonic).  When I shoot the supersonic pellets it has the crack of the sound blearier being broken, sounds kinda like a 22L.  The important thing is that with the heavier pellets that I my opinion will be better for hunting, it is very quiet!   This is important in a WORL type situation.  If you are say, hiding your family somewhere and you need to hunt, the last thing you want is the report of gunshots alerting others of you location.  You covered the costs and such, I chose the spring loaded version so NO MATTER WHAT I can have this weapon in use without the need of special equipment.  This only comes in useful in a true survival situation.  Either way, I like your thinking and hope you keep up the great work!
AE3007H1
TeamKLR2bar

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
Re: Airguns on podcast
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »
Very true about a tool that requires no special equipment. With the hi-zoot super fast pellets, my Gamow is loud, even with its "suppressor." It does calm down with the hunting pellets. It is crazy accurate, too. I'm going to buy a 2-stage hand pump for the air rifles just to see how at works. I do think the .25 Benjamin takes it up a notch for hunting. As I mentioned , I wanted the .25 in case I have to deal with a coyote issue. The Benjamin is heavy, especially compared with the Gamo.

We'll be doing more on them!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

AE3007H1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Airguns on podcast
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Good to hear you will be doing more on them.

I performed a test this past weekend on sound level.  I used a Radio Shack digital SPL meter to test the difference in sound pressure level of my Air Rifle vs. 22L both using supersonic and non-supersonic ammo.

the results are as follows:

.177 Air Rifle                        7.9g Sub-Sonic Lead Pellets  ~1000fps   63db

.177 Air Rifle                        5.4g Supersonic PBA Pellets  ~1200fps  74db

.22L H&R 150 Leatherneck    38gr Remington Subsonic     ~1050fps     74db

.22L H&R 150 Leatherneck    32gr CCI Stinger Supersonic  ~1640fps   78db

The biggest difference in perceived volume was the .22L had a deeper tone due to the actual explosion of the round firing where the pellet gun's largest sound was the report of the supersonic pellet.

Just thought you and others might like the data...
AE3007H1
TeamKLR2bar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk