Author Topic: Ruger vs smith wesson vs the competition  (Read 4298 times)

Sharkattack123

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger vs smith wesson vs the competition
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
I am debating if I should get a ruger, smith & Wesson or something else?
Pros/cons?  Pricing? Quality?

Appreciate any help you can offer

Thanks,
Kevin

Sharkattack123

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger vs smith wesson vs the competition
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
Also, I read ruger is sold out near term, should I wait or just buy another?

Are sold out situations common? What's behind this?

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
Ruger will be less expensive and is built stronger.
Be advised however that Ruger is currently unable to keep up with orders, if it's not on the gun dealers shelf now you will have a long wait.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 911
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »
I have no experience with the LCR vs. the Bodyguard, but I would take a S&W J frame up against anything any day!  In my gunshop visits I see many J frames of many versions on the shelf.  With all the advancements in poly, the good old tried and true pocket revolver has been overlooked by many.

If you are looking at something like the LCP, I have heard and seen pockets of shortages already.  However, the Kel-Tech is every bit as good if you are willing to spend a little less and settle for a little roughness in the grip checkering and logo.

I carry a LCP because my first pocket pistol was a Kel-Tech, and the veterans on here will remember my difficulties getting comfortable with the lack of a safety.  After I went back to that platform I spent a little more for the Ruger, but I can not tell a difference in anything except the fine details of the checkering and logo.  The J frame is carried quite a bit, and I don't feel the need for poly.  Unlike many, I don't care if the bluing rubs off or I get some surface rust from sweat.  It is a tool that is meant to be used, I use it, it will wear - Get over it!  My favorite,  but second most carried gun, is my full size 1911.  It is SST, because like MB, I feel it should be worn in the shower  ;D

I guess I'm ramblin' today  :-[  Oh well.  I'm having fun.  Are you  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
All boils down to what you're looking for and what feels right in your hands.

Revolvers or Autos?
Caliber and capacity?
Personal defense, plinking, competition, or all of the above?

I'm personnaly not a big revolver person but I have a couple.  One Ruger Single Six and a SW Model 10.  They are both great guns but I don't use them that often. 
My daughter has an M&P9 that she likes  and HATES the wife's Glock, but my 1911 fits her small hands better so she can control it better (hows that for odd?)

To many people I see in our local shop just buy the first on the dealer shows them based on nothing more than name and don't really know what they're getting.  There was a guy a while back that just asked for a 38 but obviously had no training or idea what he was looking at.  The shop owner handed him a Taurus snubby, not a bad choice, the guy looked at it a minute and set it down when the owner said it was made in SoAmer  Next he handed him a Charter Arms, again not a bad gun, and the guy bought that one.   Both guns were nearly identical and this guy would have been OK with either.  My money is the gun will never be shot, never leave the box in the closet. 

If you're buying any firearm get more than the minimum training with how to use it and PRACTICE with it.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:50:59 AM »

tekoken

• "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
  • Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
I don't own any Ruger handguns but I do have a couple Smiths. I have a 442 without the internal lock that I pocket carry with a couple speed strips & a M&P9. They are both awesome & I would highly recommend them. The 442 is small, lite & I carry it 90% of the time (I carry a Colt Commander the other 10%) without any issues. The M&P is a sweet shooter, has great ergonomics & is pretty compact for a full size pistol. I'm gonna order a Crossbreed holster for it & carry once in a while. You can never go wrong with a Smith & Wesson, they've been in the game for a couple years!
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour." George Washington

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
Re: Ruger vs S&W - Revolver View
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
The Revolver View

Yeah, really don't know what "class" of gun you're looking for.

Something very small?
Medium sized carry?
Field or Hunting?
Bears?

Or ...You used the the word "competition", so I immediately thought of "competition".   If you want to try you hand at Steal Challange, IDPA, ICORE, USPSA or Bianchi REVOLVER class, you'll find overwhelmingly S&W dominates.   While Ruger builds some strong handguns, I figure there must be something about S&W that causes their guns to dominate the competition.   Granted a few of those competitors (team S&W) are paid, but that doesn't account for the other 98% of the competitors.

In the old days of main frame computers there was a saying that you couldn't go wrong buying IBM.   Well, that kinda holds true for DA revolvers and S&W.   You might find Ruger or Taurus that fits a niche (like .357 ++p hand loads).  All depends on what you're trying to do with it. 

Of course, if you're looking for Cowboy shooting or semi-autos, then ignore my postings.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
Narrow down your criteria, and we can narrow down suggestions in regard to make and model +'s and -'s....

Welcome to DRTV Sharkattack123.

"What's behind this?"
you ask......???

Massive amounts of "We The People" buying them.... ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
A GP 100 w/ a 3" barrel is a find wheel gun. S&W makes a model 325 that I think is a VERY fine revolver.
If you don't  have anopinion already, I would sugget a revolver that takes .45 acp w/moon clips. If not, a .357 is a good choice in revolver caliber. IMO..
If it's something for a sock drawer, a Charter, or even a Taurus is a good value.. Don't get a ported barrel.
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk