Author Topic: Shooting Gallery Has Jumped The Shark  (Read 38778 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Shooting Gallery Has Jumped The Shark
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
Tom...I do need to correct one point here...the lever action rifle is an efficient self-defense tool in and of itself, not simply because it's more PC in certain jurisdictions. The tool works, and works well. You may not like the looks of the Mossberg product, but that's your opinion. But looks have nothing to do with the gun's efficiency as a self-defense tool. In fact, adjustable stocks actually are pretty useful accessories if you have students. Because you don't like the look, color, ergonomics, tail fins, brand name of ANYTHING doesn't mean that thing is "bad," only that you don't like it.

The Boberg @ 5000 rounds working life? I believe when te military adopted the Beretta 92, 5000 rounds was the specified working life for a military pistol. I'd rather know what the manufacturer was thinking when the gun was designed. Also, I seriously doubt an ultralight small framed .357 revolver would survive 5000 rounds of 125-gr JHPs. Another one of my touchstones is that ALL tools have both specific uses and specific limitations. If I wanted to shoot hot .357s every day of my life, I would choose the appropriate tool to let me accomplish that goal...and it wouldn't be an aluminum/scandium/polymer frame snub.

And BTW, why do you suppose Kel-Tec didn't sue Ruger, Taurus, et omnes for patent violations?  Hmmmmmmm...maybe because there weren't any patents, because the Kel-Tec .32s and .380s were nothing more than the logical extension of a pocket pistol line that goes all the way back to John Browning? Exactly the same reason everybody and his dog Fred makes 1911s...guns are old, old technology, and there's very little "stunning innovation" involved. To use a music analogy, it's more a question of how well your orchestra interprets Beethoven than the ability to write brand new forms of symphonies.

The Ruger LCP is one of the best-selling handguns of modern times; the Kel-Tec is a footnote. Why might that be? The free market is indeed heartless, but it remains the very best way for large groups of people to relate to each other on an economic landscape. I believe in the market.

Michael B

That's exactly my point .
No one else in the "gun media" would admit that if you held their feet in a fire, or water boarded them.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
I was hoping to find Pinky Tuscadero from Happy Days on this thread. Had the biggest crush on her in the 70's. I would have jumped a shark for her.

Where is this shark thingy???

BAC

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
I was hoping to find Pinky Tuscadero from Happy Days on this thread. Had the biggest crush on her in the 70's. I would have jumped a shark for her.

Where is this shark thingy???

Leather Tuscadero is actually a distant cousin of mine.  True story.

thecooler

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Well, as explained in the last podcast.  Competition may not be what your interested in, old timer.  But, as Michael calls them, Gun Culture 2.0, this is all new to them.  Competition is definitely on their minds.  Hell, I've even thought about an IDPA match or two and I've been shooting for 30 years.  Here's a thought.  If you don't want to watch the episodes with competition, then don't.  I think you might just learn something if you did watch and whats the harm in that.
Chad
Horn Lake, MS
"A free people, ought to be armed."  George Washington

tombogan03884

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 11:30:50 PM »
What it really boils down to is MB is not interested in appealing to a particular group of gun owners , but to all current or potential gun owners.
You don't like what he's doing this week, don't watch the episode, he'll have something different next week.

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 02:54:51 AM »

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2012, 07:37:11 AM »

The gigantic vast majority of Internet venom about POS guns comes down to, "I don't like it," "I have wildly unrealistic expectations," or "I'm too damn cheap to buy anything but crap ammunition and I'm puzzled why it doesn't work well." Cheap stuff doesn't have the fit or finish of expensive stuff...surprise. All guns are ammo-sensitive to some degree...surprise. If it's a new gun and there's a problem with it, the gun companies will stand behind their product..surprise.  All guns fail occasionally...as do all things made by human hands...surprise. 99% of the guns made today will shoot better than their owners can hold...surprise.

There are definitely individual POS guns...I've had my share. But when I got another example they worked as specified. I'm luckier than most because I get to shoot a larger sample of guns than most, and when you shoot more than one sample you have a very different view. And when I have a problem with a gun, I ask for an explanation from the company...how did this happen and what steps are you taking to make sure it doesn't happen again? I have walked into gun companies and asked to see their rework line, then counted the number of guns in for repair. I've sat in customer service departments and discussed customers and problems. I've taken issues I've heard on the Internet to manufacturers and asked whether the problems were true.

It frustrates me, to be sure. If I could find a freakin' toaster that worked half as well as the crummiest  gun I've ever bought, I'd be a happy man!

Michael B

Actually, this post would make for a great episode of SG....How To Separate Internet Myth From Gun Fact....it would be a great help for those new to Gun Culture 2.0.....
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »

I'm looking at bring some additional regulars on board, a la TOP GEAR,

have a few ideas there ;)

how about a star with a reasonably priced gun   have a say Ruger 10/22 or something else set up with a olympic small bore targets  and 10 shots, 1 shot on each individual 10 target and see how they would go  with a leader board, 

Don't worry to much about being "respectful"...you could probably look up the word "as&%ole" in the dictionary and find my picture!

Michael B

think i might be sitting next to you there ;) 

also you mentioned about air rifle's and doing something next year,   have you thought of including part on olympic shooting with how close and competitive the shooting is.  also seeings it might be fresh in peoples minds with the 2012 games in the UK

and an show or 2 with Aussie guns and filmed on location ;)

PS  anyone noticed how much popular guns are  and noticed how much Apple Inc has grown,  ....   coincident.... 
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »
Leather Tuscadero is actually a distant cousin of mine.  True story.

Now that is cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk