Author Topic: "Call out the Militia!"  (Read 5468 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Call out the Militia!"
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
from Gunblast.com :

Call Out the Militia 
 by Mark Pixler

December 22nd, 2012

In the aftermath of the horrible murders at Sandy Hook Elementary, everyone is demanding action to ensure that nothing like that will ever happen again. At either end of the political spectrum we have calls ranging from “confiscate all guns except for those in the hands of the military and police” to “arm all the teachers like the Israelis do.”

Well, the debate can rage on ad nauseum as to where along this continuum we should act, but as the debate rages, budding “Adam Lanza copycats” simmer. People with sick minds feed on each other – and on the media coverage their actions generate! The longer we wait to act, the more likely THEY will act. Regardless of how “the debate” turns out, we need a short-term solution to counter the threat. I have a humble suggestion that could immediately be put in place to deter such shootings, and IT’S FREE!

Simply call out “the militia.”

In this case, the militia would have to be composed of members of our military and police forces – folks who should be acceptable to both ends of the political spectrum – because pretty much everyone agrees that they, at least, ought to be armed.   

My idea is to rotate qualified and heavily vetted volunteers from the ranks of the active-duty military; Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard reserves; Army and Air National Guard; municipal, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies; and retirees from all of the above to serve part of their time as, let us call them “guardians,” at their local schools. To simplify the logistics of the undertaking, I recommend that part of the selection process for such guardians include picking folks who reside in or near a particular school district where they would serve.   

Now, the selected guardians would have no “official” capacity at the school other than as a citizen – who happens to be a trained professional – to provide an armed presence to respond in the unlikely event of an attack on the school. Yes, we are grimly aware that such attacks happen, but “statistically speaking,” they are still unlikely, and would be even less likely to happen if said guardians were present.

Great! So who pays for this?

We’ve already paid for it! Our police and military personnel have already been trained and are paid to “defend our country” and to “protect and serve.” My suggestion is that these folks be asked to volunteer (i.e. another one of the selection criteria) to do this as not only their civic duty, but also as another part of the “defend our country/protect and serve” equation.

For active-duty military and LEOs, it would amount to taking a vacation/sick/PTO day as little as once every few months or so to do “guardian duty”; for reservists and National Guards, it could serve as part of their “one weekend a month and two weeks a year” obligation and/or count as points toward their retirement; for retirees (and everyone who volunteers) it counts toward the betterment of mankind.

OK, so who provides the arms and ammunition?

Again, we’ve already paid for the arms and ammunition used to train these professionals; and if they can’t or, for whatever reason, won’t provide their own personal firearms to accomplish the School-Guardian Mission, I’d be willing to bet that America’s gun owners would donate some of theirs! We did it once – during WWII – so that the United Kingdom, which had previously disarmed its subjects, could defend itself from a feared Nazi invasion. We can do it again, to defend our schools from feared invasions by deranged sociopaths.

Honestly, I can’t imagine that ANY active, reserve or retired service member or LEO would refuse to donate an occasional vacation or sick day to ensure that our schools are safe. If any ONE of them would, then all hope is lost.

I also can’t imagine that anyone – even the most Left-thinking along the political spectrum – would object to “the military and police” stepping up to protect our children. Short of arming teachers – to which they would NEVER agree – I believe this is the best alternative.

I’m not sure about arming teachers, anyway. It’s not their job. It’s not their orientation. We’ve seen it proven that they are willing to DIE to protect their students, but I’m not ready to ask them to KILL. I’d want to leave that to the professionals.

That said, (tearfully, I assure you) I believe if a program such as this is implemented and PUBLICIZED by the mainstream media, as well as all the viral media, knowing that any schools in the area are protected by the likes of Navy SEALS, Army Rangers, Marine Corps Recon, Air Force Para Rescue Jumpers, municipal SWAT team members, et al, will serve as a deterrent to the likes of any “Play Station ranger” or “X-Box commando” fantasizing about shooting up a school. The mere thought of it would make his Huggies go to “condition Hershey,” and he might just stay home, or, better yet, seek professional help!

Mark Pixler

Best Wishes, Mike.

44s rock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: "Call out the Militia!"
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »
Works for me!
NRA Life Member

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:25:06 AM »
Not for me, reinforces the idea that ordinary citizens can't be trusted with weapons, only those who are "professional" enough to handle the Glock .40 (cue DEA agent shooting himself in the foot) should be "allowed" armed in a school. Lots of FAIL there.

And, according to the Founding Fathers, we are the militia, they hated the idea of a full-time military and there were no police.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Path.

oldkat69

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Fides sed veritas
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN THE MILITIA.

WE ARE THE MILITIA.  I AM ASHAMED OF YOU.

YOU PROBABLY LOAD YOUR BULLET HOSE WITH GINOURMOUS CLIPS............

Sorry Pathfinder,  I sprayed down the room before I read your post.
I used to be open minded but my brain kept falling out.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:34:10 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »
Not for me, reinforces the idea that ordinary citizens can't be trusted with weapons, only those who are "professional" enough to handle the Glock .40 (cue DEA agent shooting himself in the foot) should be "allowed" armed in a school. Lots of FAIL there.

And, according to the Founding Fathers, we are the militia, they hated the idea of a full-time military and there were no police.

+1

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
http://www.lawandliberty.org/what_mil.htm

When asked what the Militia was, George Mason, one of the Framers of the U.S. Constitution, said, "Who are the Militia? They consist now of the whole people, except for a few public officers." Yet we also see statutes like 10 USC 311, which defines it as "all able- bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 13 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States." Some state statutes define it as "able-bodied males" of different age ranges, such as 16 through 59.

(when ever I look for that I always want to call him JAMES  Mason for some reason  ;D  )

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
— Tench Coxe, 1788.   

"The militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, ... all men capable of bearing arms;..."

— "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic", 1788 (either Richard Henry Lee or Melancton Smith).

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on
Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

If we are ready to violate the Constitution, will the people submit to our unauthorized acts? Sir, they ought not to submit; they would deserve the chains that our measures are forging for them, if they did not resist.
— Edward Livingston

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. — Jon Roland, 1976

You get the idea....Sadly, so many do not.

"every terrible implement of the soldier are the birth-right of every American,,," yes,... that includes "evil" black rifles, and every damn other implement I can afford....

http://constitution.org/mil/cs_milit.htm

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk