Author Topic: A QUESTION FOR THE ATF  (Read 2040 times)

nobbie333

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A QUESTION FOR THE ATF
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »
Is a rifled shotgun barrel a rifle or a shotgun?

Than if you have a Thompson Center Arms Contender pistol can you put a rifled shotgun barrel without getting a aow tax stamp?

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A QUESTION FOR THE ATF
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »

According to hunting rules and regulations, in most states (if not all) it is considered a shotgun...... That is what most deer hunters  use in shotgun only states.

I don't know about the second part of your question.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »

Neither. It's a barrel. As nobbie333 pointed out, a shotgun sporting a rifled barrel is still a shotgun.

Than if you have a Thompson Center Arms Contender pistol can you put a rifled shotgun barrel without getting a aow tax stamp?

The TC shotgun barrels are 24" aren't they? I think that alone takes them outside the realm of AOW.
The barrel is longer than 18" and the overall length is over 26".
The 45 Colt/.410 barrel is still a rifled pistol barrel I believe. (like the 45/410 Judge "snubby")

ATF.Gov is only a search away.

Asking questions of gun legality on a forum is never a good idea. Any free advice is usually worth what you paid for it.
Would you put your butt on the line, and possibly in federal prison, because somebody on the internet said it was OK? Better you than me...
CHECK THE LAWS OF BATF AND IN YOUR STATE!!
If nothing else, you can contact Thompson Center and ask. They don't want you to violate the laws any more than we do!
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:07:40 AM »
I used to Machine Thompson Centers barrels, .45/410 barrels come as short as 14 inch now, they used to make 10 inch but no longer make that length in ANY caliber.
No special stamp is needed from the Feds, your STATE may vary though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk