Author Topic: Thoughts on .40 S&W and .357 Sig?  (Read 4162 times)

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thoughts on .40 S&W and .357 Sig?
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
Just thinking out loud here...

Being something of a late adopter, I've managed to avoid the 10mm-lite and 9mm Magnum crazes.  However, the prepper in me always did like the ability to switch barrels in a handgun and be able to shoot both calibers.  Last year's ammo shortage brought home that point in that I could often get one caliber or the other and 7.62x39 when the rest of the cupboard was bare.

Anyway, the Texas Rangers are looking to switch from a .357 Sig to a 9mm. http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas-DPS-Switching-Service-Pistols-for-Troopers-237019421.html  I have also read that the Fibbies (who spearheaded the 10mm charge that led to the 10mm-lite) are migrating back to the 9mm. 

All of this brings me to the following question: I'm thinking .357 Sig/.40 S&W pistols will be showing up on the used market for a decent price.  Do you think, from purely a prepper point-of-view, that this would be money well spent, or should I spend that money on more 9mm?

Edited to fix typo.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Thoughts on .40 S&W and .357 Sig?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:53:31 AM »
I've had similar thoughts, but I'm not sure I can fully answer your question. I can complicate it a bit more for you, though. If you get a 10mm (at least with Glock), you can purchase drop in conversion barrels for both calibers and still use the same magazines for all.

So far, I've concentrated on just keeping a supply of the calibers I have like 9 & 10 mm.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »
Of course you should buy a .40/.357 sig, it's another gun what's bad about getting another gun??
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
I would look for a 10   when the chp adopted a new pistol they sold off thier 3rd gen smiths for about half of new.  They had maybe 1k rounds and some holster wear but that was it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Conagher 45

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
If you go Glock in a G-22 or a G-23 , for .357sig you just need to get a .357sig barrel your mags will work ok.

To change to 9mm you will need a conversion barrel and G-17 mags or in the case of the G-23 you will need G-19 mags and a conversion barrel.
There is room for all of God's creatures ....., That would be on my plate right next to the taters and gravy.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:53:37 PM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
if you hand load, there is something to be said for keeping the same caliber...I switched to the Glock platform about 7 years ago after shooting 1911s for about 25years... I shoot my 9mm G34 a lot better than I did my .40SW G35... but again, I'm a doddering old man and probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about  :'(

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
I switched from .45 to .40 about 4 years ago (1 CZ99 and 2 XD40's) and I am well satisfied. The .40 actually hits harder than a .45 (on paper) nearly all the FMJ is flat-point and the JHP's are cheaper than the .45;s. When the ammo crunch hit I could still buy all I wanted and the prices didn't go up much. Likewise most LEO's in my area use .40's so the overall pool of ammo is larger than either .45 or 9mm.

Just my .02
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »
The conversion to 9mm makes nothing but sense as the demographics of police forces has changed. Quite a few of the trade in Glocks and Sigs in 357 can already be found through the various distributors. There are always trade in 40's to be found Gen 2 and 3. Glock would seem to be the way to go as conversion barrels are readily available.  Gulf State dist and usually CDNN have them in stock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk