Author Topic: Body Armor for the home  (Read 23475 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Body Armor for the home
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »
i'd be really shocked if a bullet from a hand gun could make it thru a old cast iron tub.  Crack it all up yes, make a very loud noise, but not pentrate.   Many of them are in the 5-600 lb range... They often take 6 guys to get out of a bathroom.  Many are ~ 1/2" on the sides.

I was thinking more for areas ABOVE the level of the iron, or to drape over the top. So on this one we are thinking alike :o

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »
Don't put too much faith in cast iron tubs. True, they are better than plastic, but how do you break up an old tub to get it out? Hit it with sledge hammers. What's a bullet? A fast moving lightweight sledge hammer.

My guess (and that is all it is) would be that one or two shots in different places would cause spalling on the inside, especially the porcelain covering, and then the tub would fall apart. Anyone have any real-world experience dropping the vicious and cunning cast iron tub?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
Had not thought of the spalling from the porcelain. But getting cut by flying chips is still better than getting shot. as to it breaking up, probably, but in that situation any hits on the tub would most likely be by accident, the BG would be focused on the threat he can see, YOU and will not be concerned with the tub, if he even notices it.
As for breaking up cast iron tubs, ARE YOU CRAZY !!! Do you have ANY idea what people pay for that kind of stuff ? $500 - $1000
Dude, You need to watch a few episodes of Antiques Roadshow !

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
Had not thought of the spalling from the porcelain. But getting cut by flying chips is still better than getting shot. as to it breaking up, probably, but in that situation any hits on the tub would most likely be by accident, the BG would be focused on the threat he can see, YOU and will not be concerned with the tub, if he even notices it.
As for breaking up cast iron tubs, ARE YOU CRAZY !!! Do you have ANY idea what people pay for that kind of stuff ? $500 - $1000
Dude, You need to watch a few episodes of Antiques Roadshow !

Yes, but do you notice they never ever pay you what they quote?

And when I tried to get rid of mine, I could not find anyone who was willing to give me more than $100 - and that is if I took it to them. That was then, this is now . . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
you guys really don't want to know how much I've spent on older "claw foot" tubs... lets just say when all is said and done, a trip to wilson combat will be cheaper.   ;D   I've got 3 sitting in my back yard now waiting for homes...  Just like old fixtures, unless they are really messed up I save them.  A single handle for a fixture can start at $20( and go way, way up) from a slavage yard, if you can't find one and have to pull the stem and have a new end brazed on your looking at atleast 100 + the handle. 

Having broken up  tubs from the 60s  its work, I mean work.  unless its teh only way to get it out of the building you don't want to do it.  Then again there is about 300 lb diffrence between those and the ones from the turn of the centure.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:01:23 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
I just noticed you are in ND, I KNOW you would have got over $500 if you were here on the East Coast, These yuppies eat that sh!t up. some friends of mine redid an old farm back in 2000, those were the prices they were quoted to deliver an old Claw foot castiron tub, She finally found what she wanted for $650 but had to move it herself. (or her husbands self  ;D  )

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
I just noticed you are in ND, I KNOW you would have got over $500 if you were here on the East Coast, These yuppies eat that sh!t up. some friends of mine redid an old farm back in 2000, those were the prices they were quoted to deliver an old Claw foot castiron tub, She finally found what she wanted for $650 but had to move it herself. (or her husbands self  ;D  )

Made my bones in Chicago, as they say, had a 100+ year old Victorian in Evanston for almost 30 years. Tried restoring parts, spent beau coup hours at Salvage 1 in a really really great neighborhood in Chicago </sarcasm off>

J.B. Books

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »
Back on topic, please guys...... try to take the off topic stuff to PMs or an appropriate area in the future guys or at least also include pertinent info in your posts.

Thanks.

-RJP

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »
Have you ever had any rounds go off while reloading?
Not yet Thank God ;D
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk