Author Topic: Episode #9: Movement through a dark home....  (Read 13418 times)

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Episode #9: Movement through a dark home....
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
First and Foremost I want to thank everyone for the amazing and informational show that you put on. Having a show on television that does not display firearms or other weapons as only used by the criminal element is exceptional! So thank you all very much.

Now onto my question/comment.

The demonstration in the episode was done in a dark training "house" and so I can fully appriciate the crude nature of things. However it lacked doors. Doors have to be one of the biggest variables in clearing a path from a safe room to whatever it is you feel merits doing as such. It is taught that doors should always be closed in a house since they can delay the spread of fire. So keep that thought in mind.

The use of weapon mounted lights was shown as non applicable for civilian use. The very true fact that a weapon mounted light requires you to point the weapon at what you intend to illuminate, this was the deciding factor in not using them. None of the pro's were shown or demonstrated. 
Hang onto this thought.

Going back to the "Dark house", most of the ones I have had the pleasure of entering have all had concrete floors. Concrete does not creak and whine as you walk along it, the doors all open smoothly and without the same noise. Real houses make many noises all with the very real potential of giving away locations of either party. Again I ask you to hold onto this thought.

With a good backround painted I feel I can ask my questions.

How do you operate doors in a safe manor with both hands already in use?

For legal purposes, it is good to notify the authorities yourself and to inform them you are armed, how do you do this with both hands in use and will this verbal communication also provide location for the trasspass?

For states that do not have a "Castle Doctrine" you must be able to prove that you could not escape your house, how do you proceed with any of this in that circumstance?

With the noise issue mentioned above are there ways to help mask

Again I want to point out that I understand it is impossible to paint with a big enough brush to cover everyones circumstance in 20 minutes and I think that you all do a wonderful job with what you can. These are all just questions that I formulated while watching.

Thank you
Josh

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
Josh,

I am supposed to be loading most of my belongings into a container to move across the country before I get on a plane this afternoon and fly to Europe.... but I'd rather take a quick shot at answering those questions:

First: blah, blah variables.... blah, blah specifics.... blah, blah don't move unless you NEED to.....blah, blah etc..... as usual and don't forget that sometimes things just suck and you have to figure out how to deal with them. Thinking the problems through and discussing the options is the way to start that process, which is what watching TBD and these follow up discussions are all about!

Next: Having a flashlight on your firearm as a back up is certainly still a good idea. That could allow you to use a light when you truly needed to be doing something else with the other hand. If you can only have one, I vote for using the one not on the gun.

How do you operate doors in a safe manor with both hands already in use?

You should be able to  manipulate a door handle with a flashlight in your hand. You don't need the light on (and there are probably good sound tactical reasons not to have the light on, at that time if you are moving quietly anyway.

For legal purposes, it is good to notify the authorities yourself and to inform them you are armed, how do you do this with both hands in use and will this verbal communication also provide location for the trasspass?

First: It isn't for legal purposes, it is so they know that a good guy has a gun when they show up: Not getting shot purposes! Again, you should be able to do this with the light in your hand. Furthermore, you probably don't need light while you are doing this.

For states that do not have a "Castle Doctrine" you must be able to prove that you could not escape your house, how do you proceed with any of this in that circumstance?

Escape if you can. Same procedure. This would be one of the reasons that you would "need" to move. I'm not a lawyer, but I teach that if you stay in your room with the door shut, call the police, yell out a warning and then the guy breaks into your room you are now trapped and have every right to defend yourself.

With the noise issue mentioned above are there ways to help mask? 

Possibly, but it is an effort vs. benefit issue. I'm not putting in a new floor so I can sneak through my house. But that is a question for a contractor. (If anyone has advice along these lines, please take it to the general tactics area or PM Josh. Thanks.)

-RJP

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 05:33:51 PM »
Mr. Pincus,

I am honored and humbled by your speedy responce, you certainly did not have to do that.

After carefully reviewing my questions and the answers given I came to both a repsonce and a retraction.
No one method of doing anything is 100% right or wrong or applicable in all situations. I am more than sure that staff at TBD took a very long and hard look at the tactics taught at a wide variety of institutions and choose the lesson plan best suited for the widest group of people. My own training dictated a very different course of action during "dark time" encounters. I applied what I had learned to your lesson and easily came up with contridictions that I thought were worth discussing.
After a period of review I have come to the conclusion that they are not. I saught out the training I did and taylored it around my lifestyle. It may be a bit presumptuous but the more I watch the show, the more I feel that it is geared to get people interested in training enough to go out and seek training for themselves. More importantly I think you and the staff go out of your way to make it known there is more than one way to do things. 

In ending I want to thank you again for your very quick answer that was given at a time you really should not have. I hope the trip goes well and you come back safe and sound to begin filiming for the 2010 season of TBD. I really appriciate all that you do and eagerly await Wednesday for the next addition of TBD.

-Josh 
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
Josh,

Trust me: your questions provided a much needed distraction!  It is now about 2:30 am in Slovakia and the class here is going well! and, I expect to see my stuff in a few weeks in Virginia....

I'm glad that you put some thought into the concepts you asked about..... I do think you are accurate in your opinion that TBD is all about encourage people to think through the problems and search for answers..... possibly through training tailored to their circumstances.

Thanks again.

-RJP

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »
Thought provoking episode. Lots of food for thought. Has me reevaluating my game plan on home protection and use of light.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:30:12 AM »

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
After reading this forum I had a thought that being in my home I would want the LIGHTS OUT have an element of surprise in my side during an home invasion, I have one advantage that the perp does not have! and that being I know the layout of the rooms in my house, the placement of the furniture, I can use this all to my advantage  and by leavening  the lights off  would restrict the movement of the Perp, and may slow him or her down by trying to navigate through unfamiliar place with limited or no light to get around foot stools, end tables or other furniture. Keeping this is to your advantage by not  lighting up! your house, also I know the few squeaky floor joints he does not all this is to your advantage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk