Author Topic: Rifle field stripping and cleaning  (Read 4775 times)

LWysocki

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle field stripping and cleaning
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:38:37 PM »
Hey Erik:

Good to have such a valuable resource here!!  Due to the high cost of ammo, I am forced to practice with the Wolf stuff.  I have been shooting their 55 grain and 62 grain ammo and am wondering if there is any additional field stripping/cleaning practice I should employ.  Additionally, is the stuff that bad??

Also, looking forward to your performance rifle class coming up shortly at USSA!!  Thanks!!

Al

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Rifle field stripping and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:46:20 AM »
Ok, Al, I know that I am not Erik, but here goes anyway.

Wolf is a bit dirtier than your typical American load.  If what you are shooting is the newer poly coated stuff, it has been my experience that it doesn't require any extra cleaning outside of a normal cleaning.  If I have shot a lot of it at one time,  500 rounds or more, then I will do a chamber brush as well. 

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
Re: Rifle field stripping and cleaning
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 01:59:26 PM »
Al, glad to see you made it over here.

I'm looking forward to the Performance Rifle course also.  It's going to be awesome!

I would echo the sentiments of Bidah.  I've used plenty of Wolf ammo and never had any functional problems with it, so long as your using the gray, polymer coated stuff.  The velocity is off a bit, it burns dirty, and it's not the most accurate stuff around, but for volume practice inside 100 yards, I think it's good stuff.

You may have to lube up the AR a bit more or increase your cleaning schedule, but otherwise it should work fine.  I wouldn't hesistate to use it.

Ever find out what was wrong with your M4?

Erik

"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk