Author Topic: Rifle  (Read 2022 times)

timcomi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:27:52 PM »
I have a Savage 110 in .243. It shoots great now (under 1 MOA with good factory ammo). I was thinking of sending it to a gunsmith to get it worked over. I like to shoot and have hunted my whole life but I don't know what a gunsmith would do to the rifle, or if it is worth it. I wanted to start shooting more and maybe even compete. Any suggestions?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
First:  Welcome to the Nuthouse!  You need to wander over to the Introductions thread and let us know about you.

Second:  It sounds like you have a good sound rifle to begin with.  Shooting that well with factory ammo, unless you are a top pro the only thing I can think of is a little trigger work and polishing of the innerds.  I would suggest you think about all your likes and dislikes with the gun, find a gunsmith that specializes in rifles used for what you want to do, and sit down with him and talk it over.

Third:  We can always wait for Billt to chime in.  You'll recognize Billt.  He's the one wandering around with a bullseye on his back, because we all hate him  ;)  Actually, we are just waiting for him to have the "big one," so we can all go to his estate sale  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

timcomi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
Good reply. Thanks for the advise. There are a couple of gunsmiths in my area and I will call them.

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »
I think his wife is as much of a gun nut than he is.  SO I think we'll be waiting on that sale for a long time.

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
Oh.. and wow.. how easy it is for thread drift on here.  I was once told by my gunsmith it is easier to make a mediocre rifle into a shooter than an already good rifle better.  I don't know what your rifle is. I have never shot your rifle so I don't know what it could use to make it better.  If you could share what you think would make it better.  I'd be along with M on this and say polishing the inerds of the trigger is about the best you can do.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:32:03 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
Hello timcomi, welcome to DRTV, saw the "rifle" title in the handgun thread and just had to check it out. ;)

Sounds like the rifle you have is fine, if you are used to it, shoot it well, why bother? Unless your really wanting to invest in some "tweaking", sounds like the money could be better utilized in buying another, scope, rifle or handgun.. or stocking up on ammo.

Just my .02 cents. Glad your here.

tw
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
Take the money you were going to spend on gunsmithing and put toward extra ammo and maybe a trip to Gunsite....
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk