Author Topic: Question for Janich and others.  (Read 3437 times)

D Haught

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question for Janich and others.
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »
My question is in regards to blade designs. Specifically Tanto vs. Curved clip point blades. Is there an advantage to one over the other for a defensive knife all else being equal?

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Question for Janich and others.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
You've got to read Street Steel by Janich, the blade configuration has been bantered about on several previous posts. If you go to the search here at DRTV and just type in "tanto" you can find the previous posts, by Janich himself, weighing in on his very valid advice.

I think the consensus was a more traditional blade vs. Tanto design. However, to each his own, kinda like firearms.

Just my .02 cents, I know there was some very informative posts regarding blade design and SD applications going back to 09.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

D Haught

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
Alright I'll check it out.

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
In simple terms, if point strength is your primary concern, the tanto is a great choice. For more broad applications, including utility and personal defense, I feel it is less versatile than other blade designs.

I have written quite a bit on this in other posts and in a recent column for Tactical Knives magazine that caused a bit of a flap on the Internet. Nevertheless, I stand by my opinion.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike

D Haught

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more reading on it. In the mean time I've bought a Delica 4 and started carrying that as EDC and I gotta say I'm glad I gave spyderco a chance. I always thought their knives looked kind of weird but I now see the beauty in the design and function. This is my new favorite knife. I'm looking forward to getting an endura as well.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:34:16 PM »

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more reading on it. In the mean time I've bought a Delica 4 and started carrying that as EDC and I gotta say I'm glad I gave spyderco a chance. I always thought their knives looked kind of weird but I now see the beauty in the design and function. This is my new favorite knife. I'm looking forward to getting an endura as well.

Thanks for giving the Delica a chance. I carry two of them every day and they have always served me well.

Stay safe,

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk