Author Topic: It sucks to be Rick Perry right now.  (Read 3112 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It sucks to be Rick Perry right now.
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:13 AM »
I actually feel sorry for the guy. I don't know enough about him to say whether I would support him or not, but God has voted. He just threw a rattlesnake onto the front seat of the car Perry is driving at high speed. The poor bastard has gotten smacked in the face with a dead mullet over a nonsense issue he didn't ask for or care about. But due to a death, he now has to answer whether he will raise the stars and bars with tax payer money while running against a black President who represented, wait for it, Illinois. You can't make this stuff up. Only in Texas. ;D
FQ13 Who is just cynical enough to go to Sam's tommorrow to stock up on popcorn. This one should be a blast. ;D

Confederate plates could be touchy issue for Perry

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- A decision on whether Texas should issue a license plate commemorating the state's Confederate heritage has landed square in the lap of Governor Rick Perry -- just as he begins his run for the presidency.

Elected officials generally manage to insulate themselves from approving specialty plates, which can be a highly controversial topic with little gain for the politician.

But when the nine-member board of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles met earlier this year to make a decision on whether to approve plates featuring the Confederate flag, one member was absent and the vote was a 4-4 tie, DMV spokeswoman Kim Sue Lia Perkes said.

Another ballot, set for June, was canceled when a member died unexpectedly.

With the member who was absent during the first ballot apparently keeping a lid on how he might vote, and public pressure mounting on the other members over their positions, the appointment of a replacement for the deceased member is especially weighty -- and fraught with political landmines for Perry.

The new appointee could wind up being a tie-breaker.

But even if not, the decision either way could provide fodder for Perry's political rivals as he attempts to win the Republican nomination for president and sidestep accusations of racism and censorship being lobbed by both sides of the issue.

Interested groups are urging Perry to appoint a ninth DMV board member who sees the issue their way.

"We just don't think that this sort of a racist relic should be licensed by the state, or should be used in any way by the state of Texas," said Mark Glazer, executive director of Progress Texas, a liberal activist organization.

He says his group got thousands of signatures for an on-line petition urging Perry to specifically appoint a DMV board member who will vow to defeat the license plate.

The Texas NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) also opposes the rebel plate.

"Many would view that, quite frankly, as treason," said Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP Washington Bureau.

"The Confederates meant to destroy the existing governmental structure. But when we dig deeper, the issue becomes even more offensive to many African Americans and those who sought freedom for those of darker skin in our country."

Granvel Block, the Texas division commander of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, which requested the plate, said the purpose would not be to honor the Confederate government or its policies supporting slave-holding policies.

The plates would honor his ancestor and the other Texans who fought for the Confederacy, which he said included African Americans who joined the Confederate Army in the final months of the war. There are several black members of the SCV's Texas division, Block added.

"This is not about slavery. This is not about race," he said. "Our intention is to honor and acknowledge the pride that we have in our ancestors, and in our organization as well."

TRICKY TOPIC

It's a tricky topic for Perry, who at a Tea Party movement rally once spoke openly of Texas seceding from the United States.

If issued, the plate, which would mark the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, would join dozens of specialty plates pushing causes ranging from supporting the arts to preserving the horned toad.

Motorists would pay a fee to get the plate, which would go toward placing markers on the graves of Confederate soldiers.

The plate would feature the Sons of Confederate Veterans logo, which includes the familiar "Confederate Jack" red battle flag.

Block says Texas has recognized the service of Confederate soldiers for generations. He notes many of the buildings in Austin that now house government offices were constructed using money from the Confederate veterans pension funds.

Nine states have approved or are in the process of approving license plates honoring Confederate veterans.

The SCV is a federally recognized nonprofit organization, and Block called it "the gravest discrimination" for Texas to honor other nonprofits with specialty license plates and reject his organization's proposal.

"We would have the situation in Texas where you have hundreds and hundreds of similar organizations requesting license plates, and not one being denied, not one, until they get to ours," Block said.

The role of Texas in the Confederate States of America has always been a sensitive subject in the Lone Star State.

Pro-Confederate lawmakers had to depose Governor Sam Houston, the legendary hero of Texas Independence, to install a secession convention. After secession was approved, Houston argued that Texas should revert to its former status as an independent nation rather than join the Confederacy.

Even though some 70,000 Texans joined the rebel army, tens of thousands resisted secession.

(Editing by Karen Brooks and Jerry Norton)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: It sucks to be Rick Perry right now.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »
You are such a loser! This is an issue? Nikki Haley dealt with the same issue (thereby negating your "only in Texas" jibe) a couple of months ago.

Did you happen to notice the lovely little quote from the NAACP rep? Putting the commemorative flag on the plates is treason? Right out of Alinsky's playbook.

Layoff the popcorn, it's effing with your brain. What's left of it after your stint in academia anyhow.

And no, this won't be a "blast". It is just another annoying attempt at historical revisionism in the interest of "diversity".
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:51 AM »
You are such a loser! This is an issue? Nikki Haley dealt with the same issue (thereby negating your "only in Texas" jibe) a couple of months ago.

Did you happen to notice the lovely little quote from the NAACP rep? Putting the commemorative flag on the plates is treason? Right out of Alinsky's playbook.

Layoff the popcorn, it's effing with your brain. What's left of it after your stint in academia anyhow.

And no, this won't be a "blast". It is just another annoying attempt at historical revisionism in the interest of "diversity".
Don't PMS in my direction Path. I think I said twice in my post that I actually am in Perry's corner on this one whatever he decides. Its not fair that it landed on his desk now. But it WILL be an issue. It will hurt him with Southern conservatives if there is no plate, it will hurt him with northern moderates if there is one., And if there is a Confederate plate approved by him every black voter who can walk will make it to the polls in the general election and that turnout might make the difference. It did last time. Don't shoot the messenger Path, I'm just speaking the truth here. I will also note in parting in re your shot at the NAACP's comment about the Confederate flag representing treason (which, if we're being honest it did) is that the Republican Party branded the Democrats as the Party of "Rum, Romanism and Rebellion" for decades. Now to me, as an Anglo-Catholic Southerner who enjoys a good mojito, that sounds like a party, but apparently others thought it was a bad thing. ;D
FQ13

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:51:05 AM »
I will also note in parting in re your shot at the NAACP's comment about the Confederate flag representing treason (which, if we're being honest it did)

I disagree.  They Confederates weren't trying to overthrow or subvert the government.  They were just trying to leave the party.  I don't see how that violates the Constitution.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
I disagree.  They Confederates weren't trying to overthrow or subvert the government.  They were just trying to leave the party.  I don't see how that violates the Constitution.
Well, that little matter of interpretation was what the war was all about now wasn't it?  ;)
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:13:35 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
The facts on the treason thing are that the NAACP spokesman is an azzhole .

Putting the Confederate Flag on the License plate is no more treason than flying the Texas National flag over the Alamo, or the British and French Flags at Fort Ticondaroga.
On the other hand, organizing and leading the Confederacy was seen by the victors as an act of treason and several Confederate leaders, including Jefferson Davis, were charged, with that crime.
The Confederate flag on Texas plates simply recognizes the historical fact that John Bell Hood, and the Texas troops fought with such tenacity and courage that the victorious Union Army named a Fort after Gen. Hood .
This is just a Dem attempt to undermine a good candidate in favor of their darling Romney.\

Well, that little matter of interpretation was what the war was all about now wasn't it?  ;)
FQ13

No FQ, that isn't what the war was about, the war was about property rights and states rights, despite the BS decided on by Congress.
The Abolitionists violated the Constitution :

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Slaves were property, emancipation with out compensation to the owners was unconstitutional, exactly the same as if the Feds came and confiscated your John Deere.
John Deere or John Henry, the principle is the same.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »
The facts on the treason thing are that the NAACP spokesman is an azzhole .

Putting the Confederate Flag on the License plate is no more treason than flying the Texas National flag over the Alamo, or the British and French Flags at Fort Ticondaroga.
On the other hand, organizing and leading the Confederacy was seen by the victors as an act of treason and several Confederate leaders, including Jefferson Davis, were charged, with that crime.
The Confederate flag on Texas plates simply recognizes the historical fact that John Bell Hood, and the Texas troops fought with such tenacity and courage that the victorious Union Army named a Fort after Gen. Hood .
This is just a Dem attempt to undermine a good candidate in favor of their darling Romney.
I think the NAACP agrees with you Tom. They aren't saying that supporting the plate is treason, they are saying that the Confederacy was treason and it shouldn't be honored. The only question is whether the plate/flag or whatever honors the men or the cause. Its a fair question with good arguments both ways. Personally I don't care. I'm just pointing out that Perry could have done without this nonsense.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:48:52 AM »
I think the NAACP agrees with you Tom. They aren't saying that supporting the plate is treason, they are saying that the Confederacy was treason and it shouldn't be honored. The only question is whether the plate/flag or whatever honors the men or the cause. Its a fair question with good arguments both ways. Personally I don't care. I'm just pointing out that Perry could have done without this nonsense.
FQ13
The NAACP spokesman is still an ignorant azzhole.
There is no question about who is being honored.
Any half informed student of the Civil war knows that the Flag referred to was the Confederate battle flag, not the national ensign
( I had to change that, the "Stars and Bars" actually was one of the Confederate national flags but is not the iconic one we are talking about. )

15 seconds research, 10 to type in the subject, 5 for my computer to load.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »
Here's a historical foot note to jam up the butts of the Race baiters.

http://www.stonewallbrigade.com/articles_black_confeds.html

troduction

As far back as the American Revolution, African Americans have fought in every conflict this country has been engaged in. A number of authors have studied the participation which blacks played for the Union and Confederate governments during the Civil War. Most of these writers have focused on the Union army since it employed a large number of blacks as soldiers during the conflict. "When authors do cover the Confederate side, they usually limit their coverage to the free blacks of New Orleans who formed a regiment of "Native Guards" for the Louisiana militia and the Confederate effort late in the war to employ slaves as soldiers" [2]. Civil War historians have not given these blacks their due recognition, and have left the truth of their involvement for the Confederacy covered in obscurity and confusion.

As many as 90,000 blacks, slave and free, were employed in some capacity by the Confederate army. The majority of these men fall into two categories, as military laborers or body servants. The fact that some Southern blacks might have played an important role for the South is a very controversial issue. Scholars have avoided the difficult task of linking any blacks to the Southern war effort. One of the main reasons they choose not to attempt this is because they are afraid of confronting the great paradox that exists. Why would any slaves or free blacks work towards a Southern victory when this war was seen as one to sustain blacks' enslavement and degradation? The point of this paper is to seek out exactly what kind of role any blacks, free or slave, served in the South during the war and to examine the reasons why they would support the Southern war cause.

Much more at link, this is just one of the several references I found.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk