Author Topic: Old eyes, training, blinding flash of the obvious...  (Read 6945 times)

NoBite

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Old eyes, training, blinding flash of the obvious...
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
As I crowd in on 60 years of age and wear trifocals, I have finally admitted to myself that I don't pick up the front sight as fast as I once did. To compensate, I have been using a stick-on 20/20 Optix lens on my shooting glasses. This actually does bring the front sight into focus for me. However, yesterday at the range something rather obvious dawned on me. In a self-defense situation I am quite unlikely to have these shooting glasses on. I will either have my regular trifocal glasses on or no glasses at all. Shouldn't I be training, then, in my regular glasses and/or in clear shooting glasses?

That being the case, maybe it's time I consider an alternative to the excellent Heine Straight-8 sights on my pistol. XS big dot sights come to mind. I have them on a J-frame. It may be time to put them on my other pistols. Anyone else come to these conclusions?
Live every day like it's your last; 'cause one day you're gonna be right.
- Ray Charles

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Old eyes, training, blinding flash of the obvious...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
You need to think about how to shoot with no glasses I'd say....

Probably the best approach is to fit your defensive weapons with a Laser sight....assuming you can see the dot at SD distances unaided.

With the Laser, you don't even have to be looking at the sights.

Another approach, and this would be for backup sights should the Laser fail to operate, would be some of the non-standard sight configurations.

I favor the XS sights.  http://www.xssights.com/?gclid=COX0tdmuvbMCFZGPPAodgQgANg

And another is the Advantage Tactical sight.  http://www.advantagetactical.com/

Both of those eliminate needing to discern the front/rear sight relationship with the detail required with standard sights

Don't know how any of these options might work for you, but they do help me.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

NoBite

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Thanks. I had not thought of a laser sight.  :P   Perhaps the XS big dot and a CT laser grip would be a good combo for my XD-9. And, yes, training with no glasses (well, for training I'll use un-enhanced shooting glasses) is my best option.

Okay, now to sock away some money to make this happen.
Live every day like it's your last; 'cause one day you're gonna be right.
- Ray Charles

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
As I crowd in on 60 years of age and wear trifocals, I have finally admitted to myself that I don't pick up the front sight as fast as I once did. To compensate, I have been using a stick-on 20/20 Optix lens on my shooting glasses. This actually does bring the front sight into focus for me. However, yesterday at the range something rather obvious dawned on me. In a self-defense situation I am quite unlikely to have these shooting glasses on. I will either have my regular trifocal glasses on or no glasses at all. Shouldn't I be training, then, in my regular glasses and/or in clear shooting glasses?

That being the case, maybe it's time I consider an alternative to the excellent Heine Straight-8 sights on my pistol. XS big dot sights come to mind. I have them on a J-frame. It may be time to put them on my other pistols. Anyone else come to these conclusions?

There's a sight at the front too?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
There's a sight at the front too?

If you look close, Jay.  It is supposed to fit in that blurry notch at the back.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:43:27 AM »

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
If you look close, Jay.  It is supposed to fit in that blurry notch at the back.

There's supposed to be a notch?
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »
There's supposed to be a notch?

Put your tongue against the rear sight.  You can feel the notch if your tongue isn't too numb  ;D ;D
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
Just ordered a Crimson Trace for my Glock 21SF today. I highly suggest lasers. Just be able to use iron sights when the batteries go down or in case of an EMP.

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
Put your tongue against the rear sight.  You can feel the notch if your tongue isn't too numb  ;D ;D
Nope, ain't gonna do it!  It'll be like a twelve volt battery, I know you kind!  :o ;D
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
Nope, ain't gonna do it!  It'll be like a twelve volt battery, I know you kind!  :o ;D

You heard about the time I coached a friend into blowing the fuses in our physics class during a movie?
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk