Author Topic: NRA Show  (Read 4342 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NRA Show
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
First off I did not see a good place for this question but since knowing where you are going and where to not stay is great safety advice I went with here.

I through out to my wife about us flying to Houston for the NRA show and did not get shot down.  Now we are looking into it.  It looks like there are no hotels near the convention center.  We have developed a number of questions. 
What areas of the city should be avoided?
What is the public transportation system like?
What should we expect for availability of food in the area around the show?  I drove to the show in Pittsburgh and there were tons of places to eat around the facility that were less expensive then the facility food.  Is that to be expected in Houston, or should it be avoided?
Are there any pother things about Houston that should we should be aware of?

Thanks

tombogan03884

Re: NRA Show
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
Only thing I can suggest is CARRY.
A lot of Katrina refugees were relocated there and the crime rate went up accordingly.

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Only thing I can suggest is CARRY.
A lot of Katrina refugees were relocated there and the crime rate went up accordingly.

Unfortunately, Texas does not have a concealed carry reciprocity agreement with Ohio.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Legal/Reciprocity/index.htm#

I made reservations through the 'Conference Direct Website' and was able to find excellent accommodations just a few miles from the convention center.  As you might expect, there are fast food places in every direction.  If I were flying in, I would rent a car at the airport... I've never cared much for public transportation.  As for 'no go' zones, the area around the convention center is fine and you're likely to see a healthy HPD presence.  Like most places, if you stick to the main roads and use common sense you'll be OK.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »
Its been a few years since I've been to Houston, but as far as areas to go, I'd reccomend the neighborhood around Rice University. Its a gay neighborhood. Say what you want to about gays, but when they move into an area crime goes down, property values go up, and you get some good restaurants. No exeption here. Its safe, the food is good and you get to amuse yourself watching the college kids, and this being Rice where they are all enginerds, its pretty damn amusing. Live long and prosper. ;D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:55:39 AM »
If you act this week you should be able to get this done:

Add a Utah permit to your permit collection!

If your Ohio permit is still good, take a Utah class this week and get the packet off in the mail.  It took most of us six weeks to get the permits back once we sent everything in (getting the fingerprint card is a little tricky sometimes).
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:59:11 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk