Author Topic: Round in the Chamber  (Read 17426 times)

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Round in the Chamber
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
I carry Glocks (usually, a 26), and I always carry a round in the chamber. I feel very comfortable, confidant, and safe. I usually carry iwb in a Crossbreed, but also occasionally carry in a pocket or owb. I typically use the safety on guns that have them; however, I prefer not having them. In an emergency, I don't want to have to worry about putting a round in the chamber or taking a safety off. It also helps when you have capable but less experienced person around; if they need it, all they have to worry about is target id, aiming and trigger control. With that said, to each their own; whatever, makes them most comfortable.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
I hope I don't sound stupid but if I'm carrying I carry on my belt, bag/off body, or shoulder holster I've never pocket carried. I assume with pocket carry it takes longer to draw so as Mr. Bane says you have to go to the gun sooner. But is there a higher risk or potential for AD with pocket carry?

I would think its one of the carry methods like off body that its a must to have a round chambered. No Israeli carry when it comes to deep concealment carry do to added time to draw. But do you ever feel nervous about a pocket carry in your front jean pocket or shorts. Just wondering.  

I pocket carry along with IWB, and in most circumstances I believe the pocket gun will be the one I would respond with.  

When walking outside, I have one  hand in my pocket holding the gun, a Ruger LCP, ready to remove it from the holster....so, yeah, I go to the gun earlier because I'm already there.  

I even started carrying a second LCP so I could carry something in my strong  hand if needed and still have a hand on an LCP....besides, it also is a NY reload for the LCP.

A warning note:  A round that is repeatedly stripped from the magazine and fed into the chamber will most likely have a set back of the bullet in the case due to repeated impacts with the feed ramp.

There are a few ways to avoid this..

1: rotate rounds in the magazine so no round gets excessive feeding 

2: shoot often enough that the rounds are spent before set back becomes a problem 

3: manually insert the the +1 round back into the chamber with the slide locked open and release the slide.

1 is a PITA, 2 is great if it is always possible and 3 has some drawbacks -  the ejector might not engage and/or the ejector/case might be damaged in the process if there is a tight fit for the ejector at the chamber. 

A visual chamber check after loading the round will verify if the ejector is engaged or not

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
I prefer to have my primary on my hip either iwb or owb because my instinct is to reach there first. In winter, I occasionally carry the 26 in a coat pocket and my 19 on my hip. The 26 stands a good chance of being first drawn since my hand is often in my pocket already. But, the 19 would be drawn if my hand was out of my pocket. Pants pocket generally only occurs if I'm out I'm the yard it just making a quick/close trip to the store. Pants pocket draw while STANDING is fairly quick, but not instinctual for me. Either way, a round is chambered.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 12:23:46 AM »
3: manually insert the the +1 round back into the chamber with the slide locked open and release the slide.

1 is a PITA, 2 is great if it is always possible and 3 has some drawbacks -  the ejector might not engage and/or the ejector/case might be damaged in the process if there is a tight fit for the ejector at the chamber. 
A visual chamber check after loading the round will verify if the ejector is engaged or not

Damaging the extractor is more than a drawback, it means a DOA gun and/or a guaranteed jam. 
You can cycle the slide by hand slowly and not have the round bang into the feed ramp. Just make sure you seat the round fully in the chamber and the slide is in battery when you are done.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »
or just do what I do and shoot them up every couple of weeks.  Granted its been a few months since I have been able to do that.   way too hard to get sd ammo these days.  Its just easier to rotate at this point.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 01:11:01 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk