Author Topic: Need some Anti-Static gear help.  (Read 3671 times)

Timothy

Re: Need some Anti-Static gear help.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:41:39 PM »
just make sure you touch the body, not the door, the door might not have a good ground

The fill is at the back of the vehicle.  If it's clean, I'll just drag my hand across both doors.  Otherwise, I open the gas fill door and lean on the car. 

Too many people in cold climates jam their gas cap into the  fill handle and get back in the car.  On occasion, the cheap carpets in cars creates a static discharge when they get out and grasp the gas nozzle which can create a catastrophe..

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
Make a grounding wand to stir the grounds and you can ground yourself also.

We had a dingus for a plant manager once, and he decided to paint the entire floor under one of our extrusion presses and handling tables with epoxy paint. In the winter months, the floor gave off static (think waving an inflated balloon near your hair).... and since the aluminum was transferred over graphite and carbon beams and rollers, it took on a charge that could actually be read with a voltage meter. When the saw operators touched the metal, it shocked the heck out of them.....so, we made up grounding wands so they could discharge the metal before running it through the saw.

Don't know if this will solve your particular problem, but might be worth a try.

Go to Lowes and get a grounding plug like this:

Then get:
1. Take a length of wire (such as a section of a coat hanger).
2. A short piece of wooden dowel
3. Wire

Drill through the dowel lengthwise.
Solder one end of the coat hanger piece to the wire and the other end of the wire to the tab coming out of the bottom of plug above.
Insert the coat hanger through the dowel and secure it with epoxy.

Then there is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESD-Anti-Static-Earth-Bench-Mat-600-X-500mm-Includes-Euro-Grounding-Plug-Kit-/380460101519

http://www.tecratools.com/product1183.html

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
That is what I had in mind, Peg.

I'll check into the parts if TAB's fridge doesn't do the job tomorrow.  Might any way since the fridge way come close to needing 3 hands.

I looked for that plug online at Lowes and did not see it.   Grounding plug brought up 4 pages of standard 3 prong plugs.

And just to clarify your instructions,   the dowel rod would be epoxied to the plug to insure the coat hanger connection the ground lug was not pulled loose?

Thanks.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
Basically, what you would have is a metal rod with a wooden handle.... like an ice pick with a wire attached to it. Then the wire would run to the plug ground.....thus making a wand that would ground/discharge whatever you touched with it.

Technically, you could just touch the lug on the plug and be grounded.

I may be missing your needs from the original post...... I was thinking of using it to stir or touch the coffee maker and such to discharge the static as well as yourself.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
Basically, what you would have is a metal rod with a wooden handle.... like an ice pick with a wire attached to it. Then the wire would run to the plug ground.....thus making a wand that would ground/discharge whatever you touched with it.

Technically, you could just touch the lug on the plug and be grounded.

I may be missing your needs from the original post...... I was thinking of using it to stir or touch the coffee maker and such to discharge the static as well as yourself.

got it...the coat hanger is the "stirrer" and the dowel a handle for it.

I could put an alligator clip on the other end of the wire and use that for the connection to the plug lug rather than solder if I want it to be a little bit more flexible.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:02:05 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
UPDATE: The refrigerator works!!  Thanks TAB =)

The temp went up  into the 60's here today, so I'm going to verify the good results under adverse conditions, but it seems like it works.  A bit more cumbersome than Peg's grounded stir rod, but it  works already. ( looks like)

Thanks for the suggestions.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk