Author Topic: Streamlight, one major hiccup  (Read 3124 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
Streamlight, one major hiccup
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:10:07 AM »
I like Streamlight.   I really do.  I like them better than Surefire and of course way better than Maglite.  I have two TL-2s, two weapon mounted lights and the Pro Tac.

DON'T FORGET: 

The spare lamp in the TL-2 Xenon version, which I don't think they make any more, is another plus for the non-LED version.  I had forgotten and was please to find it carefully tucked and padded under the metal cap on the lens assembly.

WELL BUILT:

Completely took my TL-2 apart.  I mean completely.  Very well built.

THE NEGATIVE:

The reason I took my TL-2 apart was I dropped it from about 5 feet and it landed squarely on it's face.  It didn't work after that.  Turns out the bulb popped out of its socket.  Replacing a bulb, remember the spare, isn't a problem.    But mine had dropped into the reflector compartment.   Here's the negative, it took a spanner wrench to unscrew the reflector from the lens housing.   Very tightly assembled, which is good, but I doubt if one could do it by abusing a pair of needle nose pliers.  It was that tight.   In an emergency, you'd just leave that bulb in the reflector, put in the spare and get on with it.   

So if I have any complaint about this light, it is that the reflector should provide more support for the bulb so it doesn't fall out, even under high g stress like dropping it.  And the reflector shouldn't require a special tool to remove.

ALL in ALL GO STREAMLIGHT.  RAH RAH RAH.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 607
Re: Streamlight, one major hiccup
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:23:58 AM »
I don't even remember the old light I have...I've been buying the cheap LED's for around the house.  It occurs to me though, they would be useless after an EMP event.  Light bulbs, however, should shine as brightly as ever.

Alf, what's your line on good lights with bulbs and not LED's?  May be time to invest in some.  I can recharge batteries...even after an EMP.  Model numbers..useage?????

So...Xenon bulbs and the flashlights that support them.  It will give a blinding edge if an EMP ever happens.  We can probably get them for a song now...bulbs from eBay maybe? 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »
I have a Streamlight Scorpion on one of my ARs but it's the least bright of the 4 different models. If I actually used it I would want a brighter one. When I bought it I was looking at SureFire too but I think they were a lot more expensive. I would probably buy another Streamlight for a weapons light. For general use I have MagLites and Harbor Freight lights that are only $5 or sometimes free when you buy something. So far I've never had to take my Streamlight apart and I'm not looking forward to ever doing so.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
Alf, what's your line on good lights with bulbs and not LED's?  May be time to invest in some.  I can recharge batteries...even after an EMP.  Model numbers..useage?????

I bought all LEDs for my bug-out, car and get home kits.  Might rethink that, as you have a point.  Since the purpose of these isn't "tactical" but survival I was looking for long life for the batteries.   For my bug-out and get home kits I chose Dorsey line of flashlights that use AA.  I was trying to standardize on type of battery.  Plus low cost as I have about 6 different lights in the different kits.  For tactical, I'm definitely in the Streamlight camp.

Ever read One Second After?  A post-EMP story.  Has some good ideas/lessons in it.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »
..... . For general use I have MagLites and Harbor Freight lights that are only $5 ...

I have had "disposable" flashlights, like cheap Home Depot 3cell AAAs.  And "Larry's"   But they are just that, cheap.   The switches fail or the battery contacts become intermittent.  I throw them out.   I have never liked the twist on/off interface of Maglite.  And their tail cap switches haven't been anymore reliable for me than the $5 lights.

Pretty much have thrown out all but my Streamlights at this point, at home and at work.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:53:58 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 06:44:27 AM »
Buying opportunities.  It always helps to get your financial controller on-board with a purchase.   So after the active shooter seminar, Miss Kitty says she wants a tactical flashlight with strobe.

Bing! Just ordered 2 Streamlight, ProTac HL USBs.   One big advantage with these is that you can use regular Li-ion batteries as well as the re-chargeable kind.  The Li-ions have a 10year shelf life, but just in case you're off the grid and can't find replacement batteries you switch to the others.  Besides the charging option, this model has a slimmer form factor  than the other 750-800lm model.  Plus, I think, I can flip the clip and carry it lens up, which I prefer.  And we're on Amazon Prime, so 1 day shipping was free.

(I also showed her what a great deal AIM Surplus had on the green tip 5.56 ammo.  Miss Kitty is all about great deals.  Got a case coming on Monday.   SCORE.  Life is good.)
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk