Author Topic: Steel Challenge for old farts  (Read 1000 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Steel Challenge for old farts
« on: December 19, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
as age and athleticism seem to be inversely proportional to me, (osteo arthritis in my left knee) a couple of older (age and experience) shooting buddies and I have been shooting more and more Steel Challenge matches....for you that might not be acquainted with the event, these are fixed distance and orientation stages of round plates and larger rectangular steel plates, 5 of which comprise a stage, one small plate being identified as the stop plate...plates are painted for each shooter... each stage is shot 5 times, and the lowest 4 scores are added for stage time... five or six stages per match...USPSA divisions plus rim fire pistol and rifle divisions... PCC and rim fire are shot from low ready...center fire from the holster... many clubs use timers that are BlueTooth enabled and record directly to the scoring tablet...

downside is that it takes a minimum of 150 rounds to shoot a 6 stage match...

upside... it allows old farts that have some shooting experience to continue to play and not compete in an athletic competition... and it is fun to beat the high speed low drag kids with a USPSA number 100,000 higher than your original... regards Les

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: Steel Challenge for old farts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:28:06 AM »
I tried to get Steel Challenge going in the clubs I was a member at in Minnesota, and couldn't get it to grab.  Problem is the small population, and those who don't like to follow organized rules.  I hope to get going on it here, along with more SASS and static like bullseye and smallbore.  Age isn't always a shooter's friend.  Also hoping the new knee will help with some of my participation.  Can't wait! But, thinking one will lead to a second.

Back to your post, Steel Challenge has a benefit over many games in that there is a class for almost any shooter.  I think I recently counted ten different classes, with at least four for rimfire.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
I'll probably start SC next year.   Kinda depends on what our local ICORE club does.

Question is which gun(s) should I start with?  .22  or Revo or Production?

Don't think I'll try for all 11 divisions right away.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
.22 would be a good start, because, I'm assuming you are a normal shooter, every shooter has both a pistol and rifle in rimfire.  And, it is cheap to shoot.  If handgun only, I would go production for extra rounds on makeups.  Then you can add a pistol caliber rifle, then ... until you are shooting all eleven.  You're welcome  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »
I built a rim fire rifle open (RFRO) as I had given away my 10/22 used for the Sportsman's Team Challenge to a cousin...and wanted something more reliable than the conversion unit for my AR, but wanted to retain most of the AR ergonomics (shoulder stock and grip) that I was accustomed to

I went with a Brownell's BRN22 receiver with integral rail and barrel, a Ruger Bolt, charging handle, and BX trigger group, but put it in a PMACA chassis that would mount the AR grip and stock... an angled fore grip was cantilevered off the front of the chassis... topped with a Holosun 510

for a pistol a pretty much stock Ruger MKIV lite with a Tandem Kross brake and Holosun 510

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:32:27 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 08:02:57 AM »
Steel go bong        ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk