Author Topic: This sound scary to you  (Read 1470 times)

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This sound scary to you
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »
<http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,27574,24709661-2682,00.html>
New South Australian gun laws target bikies

November 26, 2008 10:55am
NEW gun laws described by Premier Mike Rann as the toughest in Australia will come into effect from midnight tonight.

The main target of the new laws are outlaw motorcycle gangs and police will have the power to issue prohibition orders against people found near an illegal weapon or in the company of someone with a weapon.

The maximum sentence under the new laws has been increased from two years to 15.

A three-month gun amnesty will also begin on December 1 and run until February 28.

Mr Rann said the laws had been designed to target unlawful use of firearms to commit violence and criminal acts.

He said they created a new range of offences including possession of a firearm in contravention of a prohibition order and residing in premises where a firearm was present in contravention of such an order.

Mr Rann said the penalties had been increased because he, like many others, were frustrated at the some of the penalties being handed down by the courts.

"Once a prohibition notice has been slapped on somebody it virtually proscribes what they can do," he said.

"It virtually gives the police unprecedented powers of search in terms of any state or jurisdiction in Australia or anywhere we can find overseas.

"We asked the police what they needed in the fight against bikie gangs who we know are involved in murders, rapes and manufacture and distribution of drugs.

"These laws are designed to take it up to the bikie gangs. This is about preventative action."

Mr Rann said he knew there were some civil libertarians who would try to say bikie gangs were operating "knitting circles".

He displayed a whole series of weapons which had been confiscated from bikie gangs and they were in plastic bags because they were currently evidence awaiting use in trial.

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

1776 Rebel

Re: This sound scary to you
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:04:26 AM »
Sorry to hear this kind of stuff from down under. I don't doubt that America is perfectly capable of rolling over to politicians like that also. Look at how Obama is practically worshiped by the press and a majority of voters. As William Randolph Hearst said in a different context "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." The press can shape the minds of the majority of our fellow citizens very easily. I don't want to say that we are doomed but it ain't gonna be easy mate !

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
You guy's scare me!!! 

I cite the things that have happened down there as illustrations of what can happen, and your "leaders" keep digging you in deeper and deeper in the name of safety and civility  :'(
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:23:26 AM »
You guy's scare me!!! 

I cite the things that have happened down there as illustrations of what can happen, and your "leaders" keep digging you in deeper and deeper in the name of safety and civility  :'(

yep  got to love how the pollies think that the need to protect us from our self's

and how the sheepal just let it happen

I guess it could be worse  I could be in the UK   ::)
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »

yep  got to love how the pollies think that the need to protect us from our self's

and how the sheepal just let it happen

I guess it could be worse  I could be in the UK   ::)

Good lord! I hate to break it to you, but you are WELL on your way there!  :'(
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:52:05 AM »

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »
The politicians and the mainstream press are willing to mislead us as long as we are willing to be misled.
It is certain that the same forces at work in Australia and the UK are at work here.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk