Author Topic: After the Buy Back in Australia  (Read 2239 times)

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
After the Buy Back in Australia
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:22:25 AM »
here is some info regarding what happened here after the Government Gun Theft (Buyback )

The reforms banned the use of semi automatic and pump action shotguns and rifles, destroying more than 700,000 weapons taken from a population of 12 million adults.
this is at a cost of over $500 Million to the Australian Public (Tax Payers )

as it has been over 10 years now there has been a fair bit of research on this

McPhedran, S., & Baker, J. (2008).  The Impact of Australia’s 1996 Firearms Legislation
http://ic-wish.org/McPhedran%20Baker%20Impact%20of%20Australias%20Gun%20Laws%20Executive%20Summary.pdf

this is the actual report and is well worth the read http://www.cjcj.org/files/the_impact_0.pdf

then there was this one that that was done later

The authors Dr Lee, a professional researcher, and Dr Suardi, a senior lecturer at the University of Melbourne, examined all prior research on the buy-backs and applied numerous scientifically accepted statistical tests to data emanating from as far back as World War One.

Not only do the authors find that there has been no tangible reduction in homicide, but they also find there has been no effect on suicide rates in Australia because of the buy-backs, initiated by the then Prime Minister John Howard in 1996 to ‘make Australia a safer community’.

Of course, the findings are of no surprise to the SSAA, which has long decried the buy-backs as nothing more than political ploys to placate an uneducated public’s fears.

With the benefit of more than 10 years hindsight and statistics available since the initial buy-back in 1996 now available to academics, the jury on the effectiveness of buying and destroying legal firearms from law-abiding and licensed sporting shooters is in. It is a shameful waste of public money.

At the time of the 1996 buy-back, the SSAA urged back that the money would be better spent on mental health initiatives. Unsurprisingly, research from the government’s own agencies has shown time and time again, that it is the mentally ill and the criminals who perpetrate acts of violence with firearms, not the licensed sporting shooter.

Our only hope is that today’s politicians of all persuasions have learnt from the lessons of the past and will think twice about targeting and persecuting licensed shooters for the acts of the criminal or mentally ill.

For a .pdf version of The Australian Firearms Buyback and Its Effect on Gun Deaths by Dr Wang-Sheng Lee and Dr Sandy Suardi

http://www.ssaa.org.au/capitalnews/2008/2008-09-04_melbourne-uni-paper-Aust-gun-buyback.pdf

hope some of the info in these will help you all
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

philw

• Top Forum Member
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
Re: After the Buy Back in Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:26:10 AM »
Further to this

I was sent this in an email today
The International Coalition for Women in Shooting and Hunting (WiSH) have issued the following release:

Media Release
Embargoed until December 8 2008

Gun Law Study Shows Way Forward for Policy

New research has drawn the line under disagreement over the impact of Australia’s gun laws.

Published in the Sydney University journal Current Issues in Criminal Justice, the study traces strengths and weaknesses of a series of papers on firearms legislation, and highlights best-practice approaches to evidence-based policymaking.

Study co-author and WiSH Chair Dr Samara McPhedran said “In the case of firearms legislation, the studies all point in the same direction – no impact on firearm homicide, and no conclusions about firearm suicides because non-firearm suicides were also falling.”

“Unfortunately, research in other areas is not always so consistent, which poses a real challenge to policymaking.  To help overcome this, we provide some simple guidelines to enhance knowledge about evidence-based policymaking in this country.”

The guidelines include scrutiny of the type of data being used, awareness of the merits and limitations of different analysis methods, and evaluation of the results of multiple studies.

“Sound policy relies on the quality and weight of the evidence.  Our study shows that quality and weight of evidence does not come from ‘Flimsy Evidence Appearing Real’.  This is a predictable trick of anti-gun extremists, who present flawed conclusions designed to cause FEAR.”

Executive summary: http://www.ic-wish.org/CICJ%20Enhancing%20EBP%20Executive%20Summary.pdf

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:26:05 PM »
Good information, I hope that forewarned is forearmed.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »
here is some info regarding what happened here after the Government Gun Theft (Buyback )

The reforms banned the use of semi automatic and pump action shotguns and rifles, destroying more than 700,000 weapons taken from a population of 12 million adults.
this is at a cost of over $500 Million to the Australian Public (Tax Payers )

And this makes me wonder.......... what would the gov't actually have been willing to do if everyone had just said NO?

I hope we never have that opportunity.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

philw

• Top Forum Member
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:08:07 AM »
And this makes me wonder.......... what would the gov't actually have been willing to do if everyone had just said NO?

I hope we never have that opportunity.

with the Media over here it was never going to happen.

and the other issue we had / still have  is some shooters think we don't need guns like that or just roll over and let another restriction happen 

there are some laws getting repealed to make it better.

one good thing happening is there is in NSW we have  Political party that has 2 members elected that is called the Shooters party, they are making a difference and really sticking it to the Greens here

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:38:38 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
with the Media over here it was never going to happen.

and the other issue we had / still have  is some shooters think we don't need guns like that or just roll over and let another restriction happen 

there are some laws getting repealed to make it better.

one good thing happening is there is in NSW we have  Political party that has 2 members elected that is called the Shooters party, they are making a difference and really sticking it to the Greens here

Good luck with everything...I truly hope they wake up and things get better for you.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk