Author Topic: do not buy one of THOSE guns  (Read 11813 times)

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: do not buy one of THOSE guns
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
As it turns out a guy on another forum I'm made this list up just to stir up stuff on the net. I just found this out by accident a little while ago. I took him to task over it.

Thanks for the encouragement Tom but Sam Colt lived in a country where;
"If you build a better mousetrap, the world shall beat a path to your door"
I live in a world where;
"If you build a better mousetrap, the Mousetrap Manufactures Association will call their lobbyists and get the Federal Trade Commission to sue you for unfair trading practices and the Media will do an expose funded by PETA showing you as a mass-murderer who is destroying poor oppressed rodent-beings for your own selfish profit"

Of course, I might just be a tiny bit cynical.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

tombogan03884

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »
SanJuanCB, the question was about the M 14 Haz carried, I should have made that clear but since he was the one busting my chops I sort of forgot about the rest of you, ;D Sorry  ;D.
I have to point out about your post though that NONE of the countries listed issue the M 14 as their primary arm most if not all are semi auto, and used for special purposes, such as DM's Snipers and (I can think of no more degrading end for a rifle) line launching, the USN uses the M14 in this capacity as well.
The Chinese never used the M 14 the Norinco version was initially built for export to the US civilian market, and was about what you would expect from a pirated copy, although their 1911 has a better reputation, based on the one I had it was not deserved.
As it turns out a guy on another forum I'm made this list up just to stir up stuff on the net. I just found this out by accident a little while ago. I took him to task over it.

Thanks for the encouragement Tom but Sam Colt lived in a country where;
"If you build a better mousetrap, the world shall beat a path to your door"
I live in a world where;
"If you build a better mousetrap, the Mousetrap Manufactures Association will call their lobbyists and get the Federal Trade Commission to sue you for unfair trading practices and the Media will do an expose funded by PETA showing you as a mass-murderer who is destroying poor oppressed rodent-beings for your own selfish profit"

Of course, I might just be a tiny bit cynical.

Warhawk, part of the reason Old Sam went broke the first time, this happened to a couple others as well, is that the world was perfectly happy with the mouse traps they were familiar with, Sam, Gatling, Maxim and other successful designers had to cram their mousetraps down peoples throats in order to get the initial large contracts. Sam Colt was notorious for giving presentation revolvers to people who might be able to help with marketing, and Maxim never did get a US contract, ALL his sales were to foreign Govts. In WWI when Hiram Maxim ( born and raised in Wells Maine) died, the British, Germans , and Russians were slaughtering each other with Machine guns, ALL were license built Maxims.

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 12:01:23 AM »
Haha...gotcha. Tunnel vision with text? lol

The point I was making is that the rifle is far from obsolete and is functional, especially in it's niche.

I looked up the Estonian version and I like it a lot!
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

tombogan03884

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »

The point I was making is that the rifle is far from obsolete and is functional, especially in it's niche.

I'll google it, but could you post a link ?
We are technologically savvy, with greater experience and (Presumably) skill levels than the average military recruit, we are not likely to be staging assaults on prepared positions or getting ambushed, with that in mind, the M 1 A is an excellent rifle for us. with an optional 5 round magazine (depending on state game law round restrictions ) it is suitable for any use WE would have for a .308 . The only qualification I would add to that is I don't like the idea of scoping an action directly over the ejection port, for scoped rifles I would prefer an AR or HK type ejection location, I realize that MANY M21's are in service, and working well but that's my little prejudice. 

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 10:15:58 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
Thanks, Interesting stock design.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
Mini-14 would look good wearing one of those stocks.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »
Good reading on the M14.  As a Marine infantryman (MOS 0311) I carried an M1Garand, M14 and M16.  Never did like the M14, never could get used to it, uncontrollable in full-auto.  On full-auto the M14, probably hit the first round and next two, punching holes in the sky.  As far as weight is concerned, watched one guy once with an FN type rifle shooting full-auto, first round on target, next one about 3 foot high and third at least five foot high.  BAR was great but to be accurate you had to be prone, with bipod and hold it down.  Never felt the M14 to be as accurate as a Garand but I only carried the M14 for a year.  Maybe with more time could learn and like it.  At first did not like the M16 but got to know the rifle and enough that I have an AR.  Used the M16 as a Marine infantry/recon and federal officer.  As far as caliber is concerned, I'll take the .308.
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk