Author Topic: Cross-dominant quandary?!?!  (Read 4367 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cross-dominant quandary?!?!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
Welcome to my new world!

I'm wildly right eye/side dominant...unfortunately, I've lost most of the vision in my right eye thanks to some botched surgery a couple of years back (that didn't quite make the legal definition of "malpractice").

After a certain period of anger, typical male stubbornness, by god I can do this, sort of denial, I sucked it up and started shooting right hand/left eye. I've always shot both eyes open as a competition shooter, and I initially thought my eyes would adjust to the left-eye-dominant on their owns. Didn't work...I had to go through a long period of closing my right eye to force my left eye to do the heavy lifting. I'm working on both eyes open again...I do notice a similar slightly to the left point-of-impact than shooting right-eyed and I'm still not as fast as I was in acquiring the sights.

Mounting long guns left-handed, now that't still a...challenge...LOL!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

tranefan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:18 PM »
Michael, let me first say that I really enjoy Shooting Gallery and TBD. Secondly, thanks for taking the time to give your input.

I posted this issue on some other boards as well and I've received great comments. I'm pretty sure my initial thought that "I'm bringing the sights (ie....gun) too far over in an attempt to "meet" my left eye" is the problem. I'm going to consciously bring my head over to my right arm instead. I think that may work. Thanks, Jim

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
 "I'm going to consciously bring my head over to my right arm instead. I think that may work. Thanks, Jim"

I have a friend who is a good pistol shot and fast, He does bury his right eyesocket in his right bicep, to obscure the right eye and align the left.  He is using the weaver stance with the right arm straight out, not bent, He does get tennis elbow from this technique from time to time.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tranefan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:31:28 PM »
I thought I'd show a target shot under different circumstances for a comparison. I did this four weeks ago when I took my time with my Pro Raptor. It's the day I bought it and also the first time I had fired a 1911 in 15 years. I was "hammer" firing yesterday which resulted in the "spread" on the target in the first post.

tranefan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »
OK now I'll really muddy the waters. Here's the result of a typical day with one of my 3" K frames. What is it, CED, flinching or too little trigger finger? I'm more confused now than before.  ;) ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:35:54 AM »

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Trane,

My thoughts in general on this topic are in this thread: http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php/topic,5773.msg69231/boardseen.html#new

That offered this:

I forgot to mention that this was done at 7 yds. using a weaver stance and cranking them out at a fairly rapid pace while focusing on the front sight.

Might be part of the problem... try locking both arms out and not putting that back pressure with your offhand, which could be causing more of a cant, especially when shooting rapidly with a shorter trigger pull.

-RJP

tranefan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
Trane,

My thoughts in general on this topic are in this thread: http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php/topic,5773.msg69231/boardseen.html#new

That offered this:

Might be part of the problem... try locking both arms out and not putting that back pressure with your offhand, which could be causing more of a cant, especially when shooting rapidly with a shorter trigger pull.

-RJP

Thanks for your time and comments Rob. As I stated earlier, I really enjoy TBD and have actually got my Wife (who is largely a non-gun person) to watch it with me. I think she has picked up some information that can help her to keep safe on the road (she's a flight attendant). We look forward to next season already.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk