Author Topic: What shot size for home defense?  (Read 31739 times)

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What shot size for home defense?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »
Which of the 2 would be better for a maximum 30 feet?

I'd go for the #2 & #4 mix for your first two rounds, then run two buck, and finish it off with slugs.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
I'd go for the #2 & #4 mix for your first two rounds, then run two buck, and finish it off with slugs.
I've got an 8+1 and a 6+1. In the safe, they are kept patrol ready, so nothing in the chamber. Should I run more of the rounds of Home Defense ammo before the buck and slugs?

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »
Rob, the Pincanator seems to recommend # 9 shot.  It works, yet doesn't over penatrate into other rooms.  If you have room for 6 to 8 shells, # 9 would give you lotsa bang for the buck perhaps.
NRA Member

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »
I've got an 8+1 and a 6+1. In the safe, they are kept patrol ready, so nothing in the chamber. Should I run more of the rounds of Home Defense ammo before the buck and slugs?

Depends on your likely situation.  The Home Defense ammo's primary task is knock down without over penetration, if you've got family or live in public housing I'd run more HD before anything.  The idea is if you must drive an attacker from your house or engage someone outside, than you may need the opposite of the HD and need the penetration power of buck or slugs.  So if your cars are being broke into you may need the buck and slug if you receive fire from the BG on the other side of the vehicle.  In that case you could quickly discharge the HD in an attempt to suppress the BG or you could rack them from your weapon and start with the buck.  If your inside and need to hit someone behind light cover, such as in the kitchen, then you'd need buck.  You may not want to run any slugs at all.  Judge your situation make that decision, but I think the key is to give yourself the ability to be effective in most environments around your property.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »
Depends on your likely situation.  The Home Defense ammo's primary task is knock down without over penetration, if you've got family or live in public housing I'd run more HD before anything.  The idea is if you must drive an attacker from your house or engage someone outside, than you may need the opposite of the HD and need the penetration power of buck or slugs.  So if your cars are being broke into you may need the buck and slug if you receive fire from the BG on the other side of the vehicle.  In that case you could quickly discharge the HD in an attempt to suppress the BG or you could rack them from your weapon and start with the buck.  If your inside and need to hit someone behind light cover, such as in the kitchen, then you'd need buck.  You may not want to run any slugs at all.  Judge your situation make that decision, but I think the key is to give yourself the ability to be effective in most environments around your property.

I'm not in public housing, but the houses are packed in pretty tight in these tract homes. Did you see the finale of Southland on NBC? Regina King's character drives away some gang hitmen with her pistol-gripped pump. She does go from the safer upstairs to chasing multiple assailants outside, which I wouldn't have recommended, but it was still a great scene. It made my wife appreciate te shotguns more.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 12:47:24 AM »

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

in some states {flechettes} are even illegal.

I'm sure they'd do the job, but to have enough to fill my Mossberg 590, I'd have to spend $60 since they're $18.95 for 3 rounds. I'll stick with my 00 Buck (Currently Federal), thanks. Of course the carry pistol is usually what I have at hand most often.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »
I live in a rural area and have opted for 4 rounds of #6 followed by 2 of 00 Buck and then 2 slugs, in a Winchester 1300 Defender with 20" barrel.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »
I know I'll get flack for posting this, but having fired literally tens of thousands of 12 gauge trap loads in my lifetime, and Melanie has fired thousands more that I've reloaded in all of our clay busting, I load my "House Gun" with 12 gauge trap loads. These consist of 1 1/8 ounce of #8's over 17.5 grains of Hogdon's Clays powder.

My reasoning is this. We, like many, live in a cookie cutter, track built house. It is a very nice home, but with that said I could easily kick my way through an outside wall with a pair of steel toed combat boots, and one of those "5 hour energy drinks". Bottom line, over penetration is a very serious issue! Shoot at a bad guy and accidentally hit a good guy, (neighbor), and you are looking at the a$$ end of a 6 or 7 digit law suit you will most likely lose depending on how badly you hurt, cripple, or outright kill them. To be honest shot size doesn't really matter across a living room or bedroom. The shot hasn't had enough distance to spread. If a 1 1/8 ounce trap load can break a clay target traveling at 60 MPH 35 yards away, it will easily cut a 2X4 in half from the sofa to the dining room table. I've tried it. Slugs are great, as are buckshot, but with these law schools spitting out lawyers like peanuts from a vending machine, you don't need anything from the muzzle of your gun going over your property line. If it happens when these ambulance chasers get done with you, you may be wishing the bad guy won! Just my .02 cents.  Bill T.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 01:30:37 PM »
Lots of good stuff here guys, but we're also getting repetitive... putting this one in the archives.

-RJP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk