Author Topic: Thinking of Gettin a SIG  (Read 9574 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Thinking of Gettin a SIG
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
YES I KNOW THEY STILL MAKE GLOCKS! and I have the main Glock I want (Model 30). The SIG when I get one will be a possible nightstand gun, and a sometimes Concealed Carry pistol. And mostly, just because I feel like getting one.

Partly also because of advice I've heard that it's not a bad idea to use what the local police use for a Home Defense gun. And Dallas Police use the 226 (Unless hired before 2001. Then they can choose a GLOCK instead, I'm told.). One thing I wonder is if there is a huge difference in how concealable the 229 is over the 226. I know there's not all the much difference in length of the 1911 Govt model and Officers model grip, but the Officer's conceals a lot better. Of course since I'll only be able to carry it occasionally, I wonder how much it'll actually matter.

Oh, does anybody know if the 229 can use a 226 magazine?

Glocks may be fine for carry and utility, but who want's to take plain old black plastic to a BBQ    ;D

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
If you are thinking of the full size 226, I recommend going to take a look at the FNH USA 40 before you buy. http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0124mb.png

Its lighter and holds more with the slide stop in the right place. But that's just my opinion.

Unless you are getting a great deal online or personal sale, you can do yourself a favor and do a personal Test and Evaluation at a rental range or handle them at a local gunshop. If you are upfront about the situation the sales staff you talk to will be most likely a huge help in your problem solving.
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

Timothy

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
If you are thinking of the full size 226, I recommend going to take a look at the FNH USA 40 before you buy. http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0124mb.png

Its lighter and holds more with the slide stop in the right place. But that's just my opinion.

Good point Tex....Sig puts the slide release right where your thumb lands.  At least for a right hand shooter.  When the SIL is shooting quickly, he rarely gets a slide lock because of it's location.  Makes for a bad/slower reload unless he's counting rounds.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
IMHO, the three critera that divides a holster gun from a CCW is: grip thickness, grip length (i.e. height), and overall weight. Based on these, you're drawing six or a half-dozen here....

I wish more manufacturers would make short-gripped semi-autos with full-length slides. As much as I like my 9mm XD sub, I'd like it even better with the 4" top end mated to the sub frame....that, with the different-capacity mags, would give you a choice b/t a full-sized range gun and a great CCW piece....

Springfield....Glock....Ruger....are y'all listening?.....  8)

I wouldn't mind a Glock 30 grip with a G21 length barrel and slide. I've seen a couple that members on other forums have made for themselves. Had a friend who put together a Colt commander Slide/barrel and an Officer's frame (Another I'd like to have.).

"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
YES I KNOW THEY STILL MAKE GLOCKS! and I have the main Glock I want (Model 30). The SIG when I get one will be a possible nightstand gun, and a sometimes Concealed Carry pistol. And mostly, just because I feel like getting one.

Partly also because of advice I've heard that it's not a bad idea to use what the local police use for a Home Defense gun. And Dallas Police use the 226 (Unless hired before 2001. Then they can choose a GLOCK instead, I'm told.). One thing I wonder is if there is a huge difference in how concealable the 229 is over the 226. I know there's not all the much difference in length of the 1911 Govt model and Officers model grip, but the Officer's conceals a lot better. Of course since I'll only be able to carry it occasionally, I wonder how much it'll actually matter.

Oh, does anybody know if the 229 can use a 226 magazine?

Walter,
I carry my  229, .40  IWB.  As far as concealability of it versus the 226, if you carrry IWB, it all depends on how much barrel and slide that is comfortable for you.  I also carry a full size 1911 IWB from time to time without issue.  I always carry any of my guns IWB simply because I don't want to worry about concealability as it relates to barrel length. 

Another post mentioned the loaded weight of the 229, and yes it is heavier than a lot of other guns, but then again it is all about what you are comfortable with.

Overall, I love my 229.  My step son, who is a sheriff's deputy in the Austin area carries a 226 (.357 sig) as his duty gun and really likes it as well.

-TexGun

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:53:51 PM »

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 01:27:55 AM »
The service life on that Sig is 20,000 rounds. But, if it goes to sleep with you it won't matter.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 10:36:48 PM »
Good point Tex....Sig puts the slide release right where your thumb lands.  At least for a right hand shooter.  When the SIL is shooting quickly, he rarely gets a slide lock because of it's location.  Makes for a bad/slower reload unless he's counting rounds.

I love the location of the slide release on the 229. It's perfect for doing a reload with out having to use the weak hand to release the slide or adjust your grip to move the lever. I've never had a failure to lock the slide on empty because of my thumb either. It's actually one of the things I really like about the sig!
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
I love the location of the slide release on the 229. It's perfect for doing a reload with out having to use the weak hand to release the slide or adjust your grip to move the lever. I've never had a failure to lock the slide on empty because of my thumb either. It's actually one of the things I really like about the sig!

I'll second that...

Distinguished Master

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »
Now let me throw something at you.  I carried the Sig P-220 for most of my career, as an LEO and civilian firearms instructor I had the unique opportunity to test and evaluate many side arms.  My/our top list was and is:
SigSauer for double action pistols [Beretta & H-K tied #2]
Smith & Wesson  for revolvers
Springfield for stricker fired pistols

Many others are also good, but this is how our test came out, with 22 other instructors input/testing.

Anyway consider the P-250, it's convertable to any size frame/shell and several calibers. I now carry IWB the .40 caliber compact, two tone, night sights,4"bbl.  The grip felt a little short so I removed the magazine floorlate and installed a finger grip extender for a Springfield XD (9mm model) Pierce Grip, snug--but working great. Smoothest trigger pull [double action] pistol ever felt.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
Now let me throw something at you.  I carried the Sig P-220 for most of my career, as an LEO and civilian firearms instructor I had the unique opportunity to test and evaluate many side arms.  My/our top list was and is:
SigSauer for double action pistols [Beretta & H-K tied #2]
Smith & Wesson  for revolvers
Springfield for stricker fired pistols

Many others are also good, but this is how our test came out, with 22 other instructors input/testing.

Anyway consider the P-250, it's convertable to any size frame/shell and several calibers. I now carry IWB the .40 caliber compact, two tone, night sights,4"bbl.  The grip felt a little short so I removed the magazine floorlate and installed a finger grip extender for a Springfield XD (9mm model) Pierce Grip, snug--but working great. Smoothest trigger pull [double action] pistol ever felt.

The P250 is an idea I had forgotten about. I've read about them but have no practical experience with one. I generally don't ask to play with guns at the store unless I'm actually considering a purchase. So far I haven't been able to develop enough interest in another sig purchase. I'm sure it will move up on my list eventually, after some higher priority purchases are made.
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk