Author Topic: Thinking of Gettin a SIG  (Read 9575 times)

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thinking of Gettin a SIG
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
SEXY!

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
I've got the 229 and think it's a great gun. I've never shot the 226 but I don't think theirs enough of difference to matter. Which one can you get the best deal on?? That would be the decider for me. I don't know, but do they have the same mag capacity? For me though the sig's are a range / home defense gun. Their to heavy for carry in my opinion. I have carried mine but that was in the early days when I was still learning about CCW. ::) Their are far better pistols for carry on the market for a better price. Sig's are rather expensive.
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
Good guns...I've got a Pro 2022 in 9mm and a GSR 1911- both very nice. They make the 2022 in 40, and at about $450 it's the most underrateed gun out there.
Yes, they're top heavy, expensive, and a little clunky, but they're well made, sexy, and that "To hell and back reliability" slogan is dead on.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »
I almost bought a 226 equinox but heard a lot of bad stories about the wood grip screws backing out and the grip falling off.  BUt I will say that the equinox wood grip is the most comfortable grip i have ever held in my life and the polished raised edges on teh equi look amazing.

I have always prefered the 226 over teh 229 on asthetics alone.  The 229 has all teh edges rounded off to prevent snagging for concealed carry.  looks wierd to me

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
A little blue LocTite goes a long ways with grip screws.  Buy a tube and leave it in the range bag.  I've had a tube of red and blue for years.

Warning.....don't use the red on small fasteners.  You'll shear off the screw or bugger the head before you can remove it.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:12:22 PM »

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 02:19:54 AM »
YES I KNOW THEY STILL MAKE GLOCKS! and I have the main Glock I want (Model 30). The SIG when I get one will be a possible nightstand gun, and a sometimes Concealed Carry pistol. And mostly, just because I feel like getting one.

Partly also because of advice I've heard that it's not a bad idea to use what the local police use for a Home Defense gun. And Dallas Police use the 226 (Unless hired before 2001. Then they can choose a GLOCK instead, I'm told.). One thing I wonder is if there is a huge difference in how concealable the 229 is over the 226. I know there's not all the much difference in length of the 1911 Govt model and Officers model grip, but the Officer's conceals a lot better. Of course since I'll only be able to carry it occasionally, I wonder how much it'll actually matter.

Oh, does anybody know if the 229 can use a 226 magazine?
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »

Oh, does anybody know if the 229 can use a 226 magazine?

The answer is Yes, BUT the 229's base plate is a contoured plastic piece, were as the 226's base plate is a flat steel piece. Also the 226 mag is about 1/4 in longer than the 229 mag. So while the 226 mag will work in 229 it will stick out the bottom a little bit and for me it the lip of the steel base plate rubs on my pinky finger. That would be okay if I were in a S.D. shooting and needed to borrow a mag from a 226 user, but would get old real quick at the range without a glove or something to protect my finger. And in .40 they both hold 12 rds. I have one 226 mag that I bought used just because it was cheap and because it gave me another extra mag.  ::) I also think the 229 with night sights and Crimson Trace laser grips would make and awesome night stand gun with limited CCW use (due to the wt.).  ;D Oh and one more AND I don't think the 229 mag would fit in the 226. :P
Mike Kramer
2AF Life Member

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
IMHO, the three critera that divides a holster gun from a CCW is: grip thickness, grip length (i.e. height), and overall weight. Based on these, you're drawing six or a half-dozen here....

I wish more manufacturers would make short-gripped semi-autos with full-length slides. As much as I like my 9mm XD sub, I'd like it even better with the 4" top end mated to the sub frame....that, with the different-capacity mags, would give you a choice b/t a full-sized range gun and a great CCW piece....

Springfield....Glock....Ruger....are y'all listening?.....  8)
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »
IMHO, the three critera that divides a holster gun from a CCW is: grip thickness, grip length (i.e. height), and overall weight. Based on these, you're drawing six or a half-dozen here....

I wish more manufacturers would make short-gripped semi-autos with full-length slides. As much as I like my 9mm XD sub, I'd like it even better with the 4" top end mated to the sub frame....that, with the different-capacity mags, would give you a choice b/t a full-sized range gun and a great CCW piece....

Springfield....Glock....Ruger....are y'all listening?.....  8)

+10  ;D

I would love to have a full length slide on my M&P9c. I actually put the slide of M&P9 on the c model and it fit but fore a 1/2 in. gap at the end of the frame wear the spring was exposed. ??? I would carry it that way but for all the dust bunnies you'd pick up.  :( 
Mike Kramer
2AF Life Member

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
Heck, my Commander 1911 is about the same size but its lighter (by nearly 1/2 pound), thinner and still maintains a 4-1/4" barrel length.  I think I'll stick with what I've got.  Besides, when you're on a budget, buy what you trust and beware of the old guy with one or two guns...

When my SIL carries any of his Sigs, he prints everything.  He's just to damn skinny to carry anything without it dragging his pants off and won't consider something else because it's "what the SEALS carry".........which may or may not be true....who cares!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk