Author Topic: Thoughts on S&W M&P 9mm  (Read 4626 times)

drlove1981

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thoughts on S&W M&P 9mm
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
What does everyone think about the M&P 9mm?  I am looking to upgrade my carry gun to this with a Comp-Tac MTAC holster (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=455984)?  Has anyone had experience with this holster?

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
Re: Thoughts on S&W M&P 9mm
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »
I have an M&P in .40 and absolutely LOVE IT! So much so that I will be adding a compact model M&P to my inventory in the next 21 days. I am strongly considering a M&P in 9mm even though I have never cared for the cartridge. But my faith in th gun has somewhat swayed me to considering giving the caliber a try. You can't go wrong with 17 rounds of firepower in a gun you know will go BANG EVERYTIME! Not to mention that S&W customer care is better than I could ever ask for!
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »
I have an M&P9 and I think it's the most accurate 9 I've had. Always works, fits the hand very well, etc.
Good gun, and not a bad price.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
I carry the M&P 40 Compact in the MTAC holster.  Both the firearm and the carry system are top notch.  The holster needs about2 weeks of wearing all day every day to break in good, then tighten up the retention screws a bit as the gun will loosen them a bit, and you will forget you are wearing it.  Mine fits so well I didnt even have to go up a pant size to make teh IWB work for me.  I wear it at about 4oclock.  I love the you can adjust the cant to your preference.  Here are some pics I took.  Please excuse the beer belly.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
How snappy does the compact feel in .40. My biggest reasoning for putting the 9mm at the top of a short list (even though I don't particularly care for 9mm) is that .40 seems a little snappy even compared to my .45.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:30:12 AM »

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
It really isnt that bad as long as you have the finger extension.  Without the finger extension, ever shot feels as though it is on teh verge of leaving yoru hand no matter how hard your grip.  But with the finger extension, it is no more snappy than mu buddies full size XD 40.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Heard some really good reviews on those holsters. Thanks for the post and pics. I wear my Desantis IWB in the same location even for a lefty, with my M85, it practically disappears except for the top of the grip. Which in practice drills, is a little tough to draw.

With a holster like the MTAC, I could change it up a little bit and get a slightly higher "holstered" position, Which I prefer.

My Don Hume IWB does this with my Walther PPK/S. but it can profile with an untucked T-Shirt. But is very accessible.

If I could find an IWB Yaqui type holster with good retention, similar to the MTAC, I could carry my full size M+P, FN9, or even my 1911, even in S. Florida.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

mjg710a

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
When I realized I had two guns G27 and a 1911 .45 that I wasn't shooting much due to ammo prices, I downsized and bought the M&P9c now that is my one gun that I carry and shoot a lot.  I am partial to compact guns but love the full size M&P9 also.  You can't go wrong with either.

Mike

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
The M&P in a TTGunleather IWB is my EDC. It is controllable and comfortable to shoot though I did have the sear worked over by Dan Burwell in PA to shorten the trigger break and reset.

stahlmangc

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
My lovely wife gave my my first handgun - M&P Pro - for my birthday in August. 5" slide with performance center trigger and fiber optic sight. This thing was SUPER accurate right out of the box. Out of 3500 rounds of 9mm (115gr, 147gr ball mostly) I have had 2 failures to lock back on an empty magazine....my fault. My thumb was snug up to the slide release. After figuring that out, I have had ZERO problems with operation. My biggest issue right now is the Fiber optic rod broke. I've replaced it several times, but the slide keeps breaking it. Plan on replacing it with a Dawson Precision front sight which is a little more protected. I think this is more of an issue with the sight rather than the gun. I would HIGHLY recommend this fine handgun.

Gray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk