Author Topic: what to do when the police come?  (Read 9712 times)

willzp

• Forum Member
  • Can't get any better than this !!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what to do when the police come?
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I would love to know what you should actually do when you have a bad guy at gun point and how you should prepare for the police.
for insistence if iam holding him (bad guy) at gun point and the police knock on the door or enter my home (even if i have told them iam the good guy and also told the 911 dispatch what i was wearing, often times those things are never get told to the police correctly) Most cops are pretty jumpy now days and seem to shoot first which in most cases i don't blame them, I just don't want to let my guard down until the police get there to take over.
"Banning gun shows to reduce violent crime will work about as well as banning auto shows to reduce drunken driving." --Bill McIntire

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: what to do when the police come?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
Hello willzp, welcome to DRTV. Most of us hope to never encounter this, however, having a predetermined plan is going to be helpful.

If you called 911, do not hang-up, set the phone down and tend to your immediate threat. Have your wife/girlfriend, etc,.. stay on the phone, and give them a description of you. This is a difficult thing but get the BG on the ground arms spread, if he doesn't comply, and runs, you still can't shoot as your life is not in immediate danger if he is fleeing out the door, and will come back to haunt you.

BE AWARE OF EVERYTHING.

Very "in the moment" depending on the exact scenario. Prepare for them all, and by all means, if you or your family is directly threatened, protect yourself with all means necessary.

"I have an intruder in my home at gunpoint, I am the homeowner in a white T-shirt and boxer shorts, with blonde hair, my name is "XXX"....

When the Police arrive, very SLOWLY place the gun down and keep your hands in plain view. You must be very cognitive of your every move, despite the adrenaline, fear, etc,.. BE COOL!!! It will be hard not to scream THAT"S HIM!! THAT"S HIM!!

Don't do it.

Remain QUIET, the cops are going to consider you a threat until they secure the scene. Let them. They might even handcuff you until it sorts out. Again, STAY COOL!

Rob Pincus has several posts here, as well as many other resources that go into this further. The big thing is, when the cops show up, put the gun the hell down, and keep as calm as possible. The cops are going to take charge as soon as they get there, and will secure the scene first. Breathe and think. Do not volunteer a chat session with the cops. Think, and answer their questions.

BE COOL. Stay on the phone, put the gun down when the cops get there and STAY COOL.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
Advice - Don't tell the police anything.  Just make the 911 call and then call your attorney before the police get there.  When the police arrive be courteous but just tell them you want an attorney.  Let them sort it out the details without your comments.  Talking to the police without legal council can only lead to trouble even if you are in the right.

The advice from my permit to carry instructor was to have an attorney's phone number on your phone speed dial.  Use it if you discharge your gun.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
Just tell them "this guy broke into my house, I was in fear of my life and I want to talk to my attorney before I say anything else" the STFU, and make sure every one else in the house is on the same page and also SHUTS UP.

You have the right to remain silent ( DO YOU HAVE THE ABILITY ? )
Anything you say will be used against you (NOTICE IT DOESN'T"T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEING USED FOR YOU ? )
Lawyers get paid big bucks for talking to cops, let him earn his money.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:41 AM »
in season 1 of TBD  ( on disk one from memory )

they go over this as well   it is quite good to see 

also welcome to DRTV mate :)

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:30:44 AM »

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
First Thing: don't be standing there with a gun out when the police come around the corner. If you have warnings (siren, lights, verbal...) get the gun back into your holster and your hands in clear sight. We did do a segment on this in the first season of TBD which I thought covered the tactical side pretty well.

After the tacitcal part, You MUST talk to the police to establish your role, the fact that you were under lethal threat and for various other reasons including the identification of witness and pieces of evidence. The advice to not talk to the place is bad advice that has no basis. If you don't establish your role, you will almost certainly be arrested and that is a game changer. Once you are arrested (not just detained ), then you can clam up. The magic moment is when you are advised of your rights under the Miranda decision, at that point you can wait for the lawyer. You can avoid being arrested by simply establishing your role as a victim who was  acting in justified defense. I suggest the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network for more accurate information on the legal issues. I recently did a DVD with founder (and firearms instructor) Marty Hayes. Marty also writes for Personal Defense Network.

-RJP

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
I stand corrected...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
Rob,
Great advice, I learned a lot from that segment as well.  My concern would be the time between when the police arrive and when you need to holster your weapon and the window of opportunity it presents to the bad guy.  I am fine with him/her getting away, but do not want them to attack when I am waiting for the police.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Trident Firearms

• Forum Member
  • Hope is NOT a strategy!
    • Trident Firearms Academy, LLC
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
I'm not a really big fan of holstering a weapon after an incident in your home (I don't have a holster that fits with my BVDs or my PJs).  I DO believe you need to put the gun down when the cavalry arrives.  You are then able to step away from it with your hands in full view.

Paraguy - The police will announce themselves when they arrive - Something like "POLICE! POLICE!" before that you will hear their sirens hopefully.  If you have someone at gunpoint order them to look away from you, face down, kiss the floor and hands way, I MEAN WAY above their heads or hands WAY out to their sides, like they are forming a cross.  If they can't see you they don't know if you still have the gun pointed at them.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
I was looking for the link to the You Tube video to clarify my previous post, but I ran across these threads which seems to be on this topic.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=5553.0

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=4592.0

Here's what I was looking for  ;D,
First, the Law Prof.

Then, the Cop,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk