Author Topic: what to do when the police come?  (Read 9710 times)

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: what to do when the police come?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
The state of Ohio says that it is considered self defense and all you have to say is I felt in fear for my life. If you call us and then when we get there tell us you will not talk to us without your lawyer.

1. Usually hardened criminals make the statement I want a lawyer. So now you have verbally clued the officer to the fact that you are possibly a hardened criminal, which you are not but it appears that way.

2. You called us, we can not read your mind. I show up and have a guy pointing a gun at someone and no one talks to me they just tell me they want to talk to a lawyer. Everybody is going into cuffs until I find out what the hell is going on. I am going home at the end of my shift so I am going to do what is safe for me. So explain what is going on, it is your property and life that was in danger.

3. The bad guy may lie and now I am looking at you as the agressor. You are not saying anything until your lawyer gets there. Lawyers are making money off of you and I have not seen one yet come out to do house calls or come to a jail in the middle of the night or on a weekend where I live unless he is a family member. Their home number is probally unlisted like mine. The more business they drum up the more they make.

4. Bad guy may start telling me a story that he was minding his own business and you kidnapped him. I do not know who called for help, it is not like there is a sign on thier head.

5. You were in fear for your life and it was self defense.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »
Thanks bulldog.

Everybody is going into cuffs until I find out what the hell is going on.

By not saying anything at all, you will spend the night in jail, and most of the next day or so, until the LEO's have finished their investigation.
Which is now going to include the BG's statements, and he is and will say anything to save his sorry ass. "He kidnapped me to be a sex slave type crap" Either way this costs TIME for you behind bars waiting for it all to settle out.

I am just saying don;t volunteer anything extra. BE COOL and THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

5. You were in fear for your life and it was self defense.

Give a BRIEF explanation of your threat, and how it happened. "Heard my glass sliding door open at 2:41 a.m. and someone in my house. I retrieved my sidearm and XYZ......and felt my life was in immediate danger". Than a BRIEF statement that" I am a bit shakin' up right now and wish to just remain quiet at this time".

Than go hug your wife and children. If you are cuffed or put into the back of the car at that point, as others posted. You are no longer obligated to say a damn thing, and I wouldn't until I had my lawyer.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »
twyacht What I am saying is if you do not tell me what the hell is going on then I have no idea who to arrest. Tell me what is going on and I will arrest the bad guy. But if everybody is sitting there with there head up there arse then I am going to do something. I will not put cuffs on you, if you tell me what you just typed, you are in the right and I see it that way, but you have to tell me. Bad advice by some sleazy attorneys is a killer. They want you to do something wrong to get business. I have seen attorneys give the worst advice and rake the money in. A 50 dollar ticket and a attorney cost a kid 1200 dollars to walk into the court room to plead guilty.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Rob was right with his statement and follow those guide lines.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »
I agree with you bulldog, pulling up to scene that is like a bad episode of the COPS tv show, or a Jerry Springer episode, I would put everyone in the back seat just to get them to STFU. :-X

I hope to never have to go through a frantic 911 call, arm myself and defend my family. But, I do practice and train to do so, along with what to say and how to act when the police show up.

IMHO, I will speak to the police give my side of the story, but be cognitive of what I say, and how I say it.  Not as a negative reflection of any LEO, but as what I say can and will be used against me if I run my mouth and say something stupid.

For example, if you roll up and I start saying "I busted that *&&^*(*, caught his stupid &^%, showed him, lucky I didn't kill him" and otherwise running my mouth like an idiot, that is not good, and you are trained to kinda notice stuff like that. Attitude, demeanor, state of mind, reactions, etc,...

You guys, Rob included, "work and train (in the zone)", I don't.  So I am only saying cooperation is required, but if I'm standing there in my boxer's with cops all over my house, my pistol impounded, and my wife freaking out, I am going to BE COOL.

Stay Safe bulldog, and thanks again.

tw
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:15:32 AM »

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
Kentucky has castle law... meaning if they are not police and are uninvited, I can safely assume they are there to do bodily harm to me or my family and deadly force is authorized. 

However, being as I would not want to live knowing i took a life that could have been avoided, I would hope the criminal will accept my offer to handcuff himself til the police arrive.  I will be sure he is a safe distance for me to react and laying on his stomach with his cuffed hands behind his back, thus allowing me to safley holster my weapon or lay it on a table near by so that when the cops arrive i am not an armed target.

then i follow the idea of simply answer the officers questions in a respectful manner until he reads you the miranda rights, only then do you lawyer up.  This is just how i think.

also remember, if you are forced to defend yoruself, make sure he doesnt survive to sue you for shooting him while he was trying to kill you...

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
I am not impounding your firearm just getting a picture of it for the report and returning it to you.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
I am not impounding your firearm just getting a picture of it for the report and returning it to you.
And so what if they do impound it? Its evidence (paticularly if it was fired). As long as the BG is in cuffs and I'm not, they can have it. Maybe I'll get back, maybe I wont'. If I use it once in that set of circumstances, I 've gotten my money's worth. I have others, and can always replace it. I'm not arguing with the cops about a gun. I just would like a reciept with a serial #.
FQ13

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 12:55:10 AM »
if they do so be it. I prefer not to leave a man defenseless. Bad guys freinds may decide on payback.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »
I think the best way is to make your position clear..."Officer, I'm the complainant.  I will file a formal complaint.  This guy did x,y,and z."  Be cooperative.  Say enough to make your "case", but not so much that you're just running off at the mouth.  If they take my gun as evidence, I might just have another laying around someplace.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk