Author Topic: What is wrong with Colt?  (Read 9983 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
Re: What is wrong with Colt?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »
I took a quick look at Colt's website and see they have a DAO 1911. I never even heard of it. They could sell more guns if they advertised them.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I took a quick look at Colt's website and see they have a DAO 1911. I never even heard of it. They could sell more guns if they advertised them.

That's a new offering and one that I drooled a bit over!

Damn, I want a Colt 1911....someday...

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
Spot on analysis billt. Even coming from someone like you who owns what,.....173 Colt's of all different flavors.... ;D

Between a Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Para, S&W, and others, the 1911 is coming up on a great anniversary, The Colt SAA is still the original one I would blow some lottery winnings on. ::)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
Spot on analysis billt. Even coming from someone like you who owns what,.....173 Colt's of all different flavors.... ;D

Actually I have but 3. A Colt Gold Cup 1911 Series 70, a Woodsman, and an old model Detective Special, (non shrouded ejector rod). All bought in the early 70's. Colt made some really nice guns then. One I regret not getting was one of the New Frontier .22's with the Magnum cylinder. They came out with a lot of commemorative models in the 70's. Most were really nice.  Bill T.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
Perhaps that's why most older Colt's hold their value really well.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:21:22 PM »

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
colt still makes pythons, but only thru thier custom shop, but you won't like the price.

Colt's custom shop discontinued these in 2005.

I've seen that prices on my Colt Boa and Colt Anaconda have been going through the roof. They were both purchased brand new for $400 dollars each.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »
My 1969 4" Colt Python....unfired.  My only safe queen and a true work of art.

Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
What is wrong with Colt, They don't like civilian gun owners, they are union run, so their products are high, they love contracts, why sell to the huddled masses 1 at a time, when they can sell thousands to the military of the world, except when FN is kicking their butt on bids to those same military.

I don't like Colt DA revolvers, the sleek ones like the Python and Diamond back have 2 weaknesses for self defense, V spring ignition #1, not reliable for hard primers, #2 spindly thin ejectors, if you have a hard to eject case, and you bang the ejector hard to get the empties out, it WILL bend. The less than sleek, Troopers, Anaconda's with coil spring ignition are bricks, they cannot be lightened reliably and have the same thin ejector rod.

As to accuracy, they do have a well earned reputation, due to good barrel manufacturing and their 1 in 14 twist, they shoot well with lead and jacketed bullets, Smith and Wesson uses 1 in 18 twist, and will shoot slightly better with jacketed bullets, both will give accuracy equal to all but the most accurate shooters ability. The Sleek pistols as I call them are beautiful, and I have owned them, still have an ancient Colt Agent .38 spl, because I shoot federal ammo, and it cost me a hundred bucks, it packs well, and has 1 extra shot compared to a J frame, and is about the same size as an SP101. It is my airport gun, if it gets stolen of course I would hate it, but I would only be out a hundred bucks.

Now series 70 1911's are great pistols, and can be fixed for any problem, as is, good accuracy, and great dependability with ball ammo, every other 1911 manufacturer is making this pistol with good results, only a few are using the firing pin block of the series 80, a completely unnecessary feature IMHO. So the only reason to buy a Colt is because you want one, most of the others will be just as good. If you want a custom 1911, best to start off with the least expensive and build up, although there are some really good ones that have a lot of desirable parts, at a package price that make sense.

Colt AR15's are well made, and not that long ago, were still on top, but with CNC technology, and great CAM/CAD engineers, no more, and Colts do have the sear block, ( a portion of the lower that is not milled out, to take an auto sear. ) and the large pin holes to make it harder to install M16 or M4 parts. This is not a big deal to me, as I don't plan on making a FA rifle.

Something that I did not mention in Colts desirability, is their bluing, Top of the line for sure.

Their SAA's ( the expensive ones ) are still great, and you will pay the price.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:48 AM »
It has been all down hill since his widow gave up control.
Actually it seems like they are returning to Sam's route in perpetual peril.
Remember the Paterson plant ?

To comment on M25's first paragraph, (I've never fired a Colt Revolver )
The desire for military contracts is a hold over from Sam himself.
In fact it is why the Paterson NJ operation failed , with no wars going on the Army wasn't buying any type of guns.
But it was also how Colt became the first to arm a national Naval Service with repeating arms, when the Republic of Texas Navy standardized their arms around Colt revolving pistol, rifle, and shot gun.
I'm writing this from memory so I can't cite any reference but I think the Paterson NJ plant supplied 360 of each before creditors liquidated the company assets.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 02:20:32 AM »
I miss my colt cobra, it was stolen in a break in.

By far one of the best shooting "light wieght" snubbys ever made.  ~ 13 oz empty, 6 rounds.  it was one of the older models so no +P, but standard 38 spl works just fine.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk