Author Topic: New S&W Today  (Read 4306 times)

SJPrice

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New S&W Today
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
Picked up a new 329 NG today and had a set of CT laser grips installed as well.  I am looking forward to getting it sighted in tomorrow.  I will run a box or two of 44 mags through it, but I am pretty sure I will carry it with CorBon DPX 44 specials.  I am guessing at 29 ounces it will be tough to get follow up shots with full mag loads.  What say ye?  I really like these Night Guard Smiths.  Now if they would just offer a Night Guard in 45 Colt, I would be a real happy camper.  I would like to hear any thoughts on sighting in the laser grips.  There seems to be two schools of thought on this.  One school, and Crimson Trace suggests you set it to exactly match the point of impact at a given range, like say 20 yards.  A second school says to determine the exact measurements of down and right between the tip of the laser and the center of the bore.  Then set the laser to be offset by that same amount at say 20 yards.  The idea is that the laser will be off target by that same small amount a long way out, instead of the point of impact meeting and crossing over out past 20 yards.  Anyone have any comments one way or the other?

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: New S&W Today
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
Welcome to DRTV SJPrice, and congratulations.

quote:
Anyone have any comments one way or the other?

OK,

New gun purchases require pics!!!!!
 ::)

As far as CT grips, self defense "zeroing" or POI/POA should be at less than 20 yds. Hunting or target is plausible at 20, but your purpose or intention for the hand cannon will determine the range.

and of course,.....practice, and make sure it holds POI/POA. Some have moved after firing, but always double check.

Good shooting and a fine pistol.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
When I got CT grips for my carry gun I sighted them at right around 15 feet. I figured the average engagement range would be slightly shorter than that. However my biggest annoyance was that even without firing the gun the laser sighting would shift if the gun was bumped by any substantial amount. Big let down. That was just my experience. I would like to try them again sometime when I have the money. But in terms of sighting in I would recommend sighting at a realistic self defense distance and I like the dot to sit right on top of my front sight at the set distance. Personal preference.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
 ???

Welcome to the asylum  ;D
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
I sight mine in at a given distance. Approx 15 or 20 yds. Then aim at different ranges to see how much off it is at various distances. And you should post pics of that beast. 8)
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:27:00 PM »

SJPrice

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
And you should post pics of that beast. 8)

Beast is right.  I was able to get off a few rounds just before dusk last evening.  I started with some Winchester 240 grain loads that I had from the past.  The recoil was unpleasant, but manageable.  The muzzle blast and FLASH was beyond description.  I would estimate that anything within 8 feet of the muzzle would have been barbecue.  I then switched to some 225 grain Cor-Bon DPX defensive loads and was  pleasantly surprised.  The recoil was still stout, but the "beast" was very controllable.  I am looking forward to an extended range session this weekend.  I think this will be a great packin pistol and will sometimes replace my FA 97 45 Colt when riding the back country.  It may even see some service for CCW in a Ted Blocker IWB rig.  I am still thinking it will be loaded with Cor-Bon 44 Special DPX loads for CCW when I am only worried about 2 legged predators.

Michael, I think this one will be a match for me to your 329 PD.  I do like these Night Guards.  I am just a little concerned about the sharp snap of the recoil and the accidental engagement of the S&W trigger lock.  What do you think?

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
I believe the lock can be removed easily, it CAN potentially engage on it's own under heavy recoil.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
I believe the lock can be removed easily, it CAN potentially engage on it's own under heavy recoil.

SJPrice

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »
Thank you all for the comments and video.  Looks like a project for tomorrow.  The recoil on this 29 ounce 44 mag is pretty sharp and snappy as you might guess.  :o

tekoken

• "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
  • Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
I would never remove the lock if I was in your shoes! Buy a gun without the lock if that's what you're looking for & save yourself the possible headache. If you do have an accidental discharge the lawyers(& anti-gun crowd) will be all over the removal of a lock that the factory installed. How many cases have you heard where the lock unintentionally engages? I've never heard of it happening....I personally wouldn't buy a gun with a built in lock for carry though.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour." George Washington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk