Author Topic: The power of the dark side is strong, indeed!  (Read 7970 times)

BAC

The power of the dark side is strong, indeed!
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »
So recently I've been wanting to replace my Beretta 92fs.  Not because there's anything wrong with it; it's super accurate and unfailingly reliable, but I'm ready to move on.  Being a bear of very little means, I will trade it in for my next purchase.

Now the question is "what should I get?"  Which is why i posted the poll not long ago.  Glocks were never something I'd considered before.  Not having any experience with them, I couldn't fault them for anything other than their looks (easy to do, right?).  Yes, they do have a larger-than-life reputation for reliability and a cult-like following that's rivaled only by MAC users and Obama supporters.  So I pushed them way down on the list of possibilities.

Then something started to happen.  Maybe my eyesight's getting worse, maybe all the Glockiganda (I'm getting a trademark for that one  ;D) finally got to me, but I started thinking about getting a Glock!  :o

As stated earlier, I didn't have any experience with them, so on my way to tonight's hotel I stopped at an indoor range near Springfield, OH and rented a G17, and...CUE THE HALLELUJAH CHORUS...I fell in love (hope my revolvers aren't reading this)!!!!

It pointed very naturally for me, the grip felt perfect with a really high hand hold with no muzzle flip and fast follow-up shots.  Of my first 15 shots at a silhouette target (about 10 yards distance) with really expensive el-cheapo range ammunition, 12 made one big hole in the X ring, and the other 3 were in the 10 ring touching the X.  I was impressed, to say the least.

So the power of the dark side is strong, and I'm being pulled into it.  Now to decide which one...

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The power of the dark side is strong, indeed!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
Before you go too far to the dark side, try an M+P 9, or 40.  grip it in a side by side comparison.

Just sayin',..... ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tbug

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
Love my 22 in 40 used cop trade in hit's what I aim at every time.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
I am fighting, very hard, any Star Wars references. ;D My advice, whatever works. I had the G17 for years. I loved. It was just too big. I love (and here I thank Eric) my G-26. I hate the finger grips, but who cares? Its size and accuracy beat any mouse gun out there. It fits fine in the pocket of a pair of pleated Dockers. You'll never know its there. The G-19, a good compromise for an IWB gun. All wiil serve you well. Inside of 15-20 yards, you won't want anything else for practical shooting. Though the bi-annual cleaning is a pain. ;D
FQ13

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
I must throw in the fact that I am a G21 owner, the big, fat 45 ACP, finger grooved Glock, that also doubles as a club, and will go bang. Period.

But explore them all, you won't be disappointed with the one that chooses you. ;)

Remember, the Dark Side also has cookies. ;D

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:06:20 AM »

BAC

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »
I am fighting, very hard, any Star Wars references. ;D My advice, whatever works. I had the G17 for years. I loved. It was just too big. I love (and here I thank Eric) my G-26. I hate the finger grips, but who cares? Its size and accuracy beat any mouse gun out there. It fits fine in the pocket of a pair of pleated Dockers. You'll never know its there. The G-19, a good compromise for an IWB gun. All wiil serve you well. Inside of 15-20 yards, you won't want anything else for practical shooting. Though the bi-annual cleaning is a pain. ;D
FQ13

Thanks FQ.  I was originally thinking about the G19, but the G17 was all that they had available at the range.  I don't think I'd go wrong with either.  I'll have to give the G26 a try.

BAC

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
I must throw in the fact that I am a G21 owner, the big, fat 45 ACP, finger grooved Glock, that also doubles as a club, and will go bang. Period.

But explore them all, you won't be disappointed with the one that chooses you. ;)

9mm first, then .45.  I've never had any interest in .40.  And I believe it's already chosen me.

What kind of cookies?   ::)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »

Yeah, but they have Reese's Pieces instead of M&M's, or - God forbid - real chocolate chips in them. If PB chips float your boat, head on over to the dark side and enjoy.

I enjoy my Sig brand chocolate chip cookies.     ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
You are used to using a 92 which is a big handgun, so the Glock does not feel as strange as peeps who shoot 1911's, you did not mention the caliber you would like, I highly recommend the .45acp pistols, better than combat accuracy and you can shoot lead bullets for practice, the smaller 9mm and .40 meaning the shorter barrel models, shoot better than they have a right to. I personally have not shot the XD or the M&P, so no opinion, but would like to. Been with Glocks for 20 yrs, they are like a 4lb sledge hammer, not pretty, but they work and get the job done, every time. I own 4, 2 9mm's, 1 .45 and 1 10mm. Will probably end up with a mod 26 before its over.

Police trade ins can be a great bargain.

Happy hunting.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good XD at your side....  8)

Try it....we have pie on our side......  ;D
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk