Author Topic: Full length resizing  (Read 16369 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Full length resizing
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »
I am starting to reload .40 S&W and have been told, advised, warned that I need to full length resize.  I have never done this on other calibers and need advice.

What is a good die to get, do you set up a single stage press and mass resize while inspecting, what do I watch our for ... anything else you can come up with.

In the little research I have been able to find (and it isn't much out there) I am wondering if this is something that would help with my reloads for my .45 acp open.  Any ideas or suggestions?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Full length resizing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »
While I do not reload .40S&W specifically, I do reload the other.  You should always full length re-size for use in autoloaders. Anytime I have not I run into feeding problems.

Any of the die sets you get for pistol calibers should be capable for full length.  I use Dillon, RCBS, and Lee.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
All pistol and revolver calibers require full length resizing. Bottleneck rifle rounds like the .223 and .308 can be neck sized only if they are going to be fired in the same weapon. If you are reloading for a semi auto rifle like a AR-15, or a Springfield M-1A you not only should full length resize, but it is wise to do so with a small base resizing die.

A small base resizing die will reduce the size of the fired case to minimum dimensions, and provide reliable chambering regardless of the rifle it will be fired in. I use a small base die in all of my .223 / 5.56 MM reloading because the ammunition I reload will be shot in many different rifles. By using a small base resizer die I know any and all ammunition reloaded in it will chamber regardless of which rifle I fire it in.  Bill T.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
What I am getting advised on, and there is a set of dies out there for .40 is a "push through die" that resizes further down the base than the regular resizing dies.  I'm on the road, but this weekend I will grab an issue of Front Sight for the ad on a push through die.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »
If you purchase a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die it has a Carbide sizer ring that the entire loaded cartridge passes into. If it goes through the die, it will chamber in any gun. Their dies are inexpensive and easy to use. I have one in every pistol caliber I reload.  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:03:49 PM »

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »
Yes full length resize your 40 and 45 brass. I have seen some 40 S&W brass with a ring just in front of the extractor groove that is apparently caused by a non-fully supported chamber. This is why the push through sizing die. If you have a fully supported chamber (leaves none of the case exposed when in the chamber) you won't have that problem. The 45 ACP doesn't have this problem due to it's lower chamber pressure. DO FULL LENGTH RESIZE IN ANY CASE FOR HANDGUNS! It helps.

Hope this helps you.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
just avoid glockerized brass and you will be fine.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
On auto pistols, full length resizing is the good deal, I like the Dillon carbide sizers, they give a wasp waisted look when finished, and feed perfectly.Accurate too. Bottle neck cases can be neck size only, if to be shot in the same rifle, with a gain in accuracy, normally.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »
I believe Reading has a "Push Thru" Die that is supposed to take out the Glock bulge.  It seems to require a single station press to work best.  I would also check into the catch bottle.  I think they call it the G-Rx but I'm not 100% sure.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »
If you purchase a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die it has a Carbide sizer ring that the entire loaded cartridge passes into. If it goes through the die, it will chamber in any gun. Their dies are inexpensive and easy to use. I have one in every pistol caliber I reload.  Bill T.
Same here....crimping die on my 4 hole Lee turret press and I have virtually no problems with chambering my reloads.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk