Author Topic: Bug IN bag  (Read 13468 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Bug IN bag
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
This has been rattling around with me for some time and I'm just getting around to opening discussion about it here.

A long time ago someone mentioned having spare magazines strategically  located around their home should they need them when on the move.  This started me thinking about this concept.

The most recent reminders came to me in the currently active thread  Is it safe  where we have been discussing options for initial response to a home intruder.

The comments that I noted were one about getting a handgun and light from the bedside vault.  The other was made by Peg, I think, about putting on pants with a belt with holster and maybe other gear mounted.  A comment was also made that the threat has given reason to be thinking about the things discussed.

Well, what I have been thinking of is some type of bag/pouch/box type of thing.  I don't have any idea what it would be and that is why I am presenting this here...to get us thinking about what might be a workable solution.

The Bug IN Bag would have spare mags for your handgun and long gun if one was to be carried.  It could contain extra shotgun shells if that was to be carried.  It could hold a cell phone, pepper spray, taser, light, some type of retention device like handcuffs, thumbcuffs or wrist bindings. 

It should have a "holster" area where the handgun can be placed if a switch is made to a slung long arm, or if two hands are needed to manipulate something.  The hand gun would still be readily available. 

I am not saying it has to hold all of this, but be able to hold as much of it as each of us deems useful.  Nor am I saying this is all that should be considered to carry...that is just what I have thought of...you all will find stuff that might be added.

I envision it would be kept close, maybe hung from a door knob or something to be picked up after the initial weapon is in hand and there is time or need to grab it.

It might be hung around your neck in front of you or over one shoulder.  It might have an additional strap to wrap around your chest/waist to make it more secure.

The idea is that you have your ready gun for any immediate threat and then can quickly grab the bag and wear it so anything you might need to either stay put or venture forth, if needed, would all be in one place and handy.

I don't have any ideas about how it should be constructed that I like, so that is open also.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bug IN bag
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
I've thought about this quite a bit actually since my home defense plan consists of a need to clear the house to make sure my children are safe rather than just staying put in the bedroom. I keep my concealment vest, you know the type that screams I'm carrying a gun:
I keep this hanging on a hook right next to the bed, it has 2 AR mags and 10rds of 00 buck along with a flashlight in it already. When I open my gunvault and grap a pistol there are 2-4 magazines for each pistol right next to the pistol that I can grab and throw in the pocket. I have the large gunvault with 2 shelves so I keep the appropriate magazines on the shelf with the pistol and another flashlight attached to the side.. Now I'm set to work my way to the closet and get a shotgun, which is the only gun I keep out of the safe, mounted high inside the reach-in closet above the door. It's cruiser ready so I have around 16rds of 12ga to work with along with a pistol with 2-4 mags. If I choose to open the safe real quick while I'm in the closet then I also have the AR with 112 rds to work with on me and the rifle. My wife can either grab the other pistol in the gunvault or take one of the longguns from me or the safe.

Honestly it sounds like overkill but it's comforting to know I have a decent amount of ordinance readily available, on my person before moving through the house. Even though a single intruder is the most common threat It doesn't hurt to be prepared for a 4-5 person home invasion team. I feel like with a split floor plan I'd rather not get cut-off from the other end of the house with limited resources. If there was a home invasion team I could easily get pinned down in my sons room while my wife an daughter could be pinned down on the other side of the house. This plan gives us a fighting chance and I can slip on the vest very quickly and it distributes the weight quite well.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
I have one of those vest and never thought of that way to use it.  Thanks.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
I have one of those vest and never thought of that way to use it.  Thanks.

Same here....I bought it as a 'range use' vest to keep shooting stuff at the ready while at the range. I actually forgot it was in the closet.  :-[

Like I posted in another thread, I have very little need to uproot from the bedroom, but in the rare case that I did have to, this might be a way to go.

Thanks, bafsu.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »
Big factor for some, including me, is no kids, so after my son went back to his home in NC, I put a few items in strategic places.

Never thought of having a vest or MOD bag, whatever, close at hand for "what may come"....but it does make sense.

Probably have to ditch the vest when the cops show up though... They can get a little sensitive when they pull  up on someone wearing a tac vest and boxers....

Still a good concept to explore whether it's a vest or not. For a larger home, certain items, tucked away, work.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:33:30 AM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
Yea, I wouldn't want to sport the vest and boxers look either. I was in the same boat as far as buying the vest for the range and seeing it sit in the closet the idea hit me. I can't leave a whole lot stashed around the house with small kids although I do have some mags on high shelves at various points and another gunvault where I keep my carry guns and wallet and other assorted crap that fills my pockets when I leave. Having the vest "pre-loaded" and on a hook next to the bed just seemed a lot quicker than getting shorts or pants on and buttoned etc. I usually wear gym shorts around the house and have them next to the bed to pull on fast but you try to slip a pistol in gym short pockets and they end up around your ankles. The vest has the built in concealment pistol pockets so I can slip the pistol in there and transition to the shotgun or AR once I get to the closet.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
I've thought about this quite a bit actually since my home defense plan consists of a need to clear the house to make sure my children are safe rather than just staying put in the bedroom. I keep my concealment vest, you know the type that screams I'm carrying a gun:

Perfect, Bafsu...

Will have room for everything, easy to get on and more secure than a bag or box hanging around your neck. 

I knew this was the place to ask

Thanks.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
I am lucky, no kids in the house, the bedroom is the defense room. Next to the bed on my side is my dressing chair, it holds my pants, which I have everyday, a J frame smith, 2 reloads and 2 flashlights, as I use them in my daily routine, Rem 870 with surefire forend, 7rd mag and 4 rd side saddle, in the bed, Glock 17 with crimson trace and 28rd mag, model 649 with one reload, 2 feet away my 16" AR with flashlight and magcinch 2 x 30 rd mags, aimpoint always on half power. Change the batteries on my Birthday.
I can give multiple attackers a bad response. Rack the 17 and give it to the wife, I pick up the 870 and we are going to town hunkered down behind the water bed, which I believe will stop a lot of bullets if shot through. I also have 2 streamlight rechargeable flashlights in chargers mounted to the bed.

The vest Idea is a good one, my lifestyle permits my sitrep.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »
IMO. the only thing you are missing is the OC spray and Cell phone. I like to have options and the only break-in'ish experienced was a drunk neighbor whom I would of been justified Spraying but not shooting.
tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
For a less Ninja look, a bird vest would work. I've got the classic Filson. Suspenders with two big pouches and a game bag. Well, one pouch with shells and a light, one with mags for the Glock and maybe a couple of AR mags in the game pocket. Think of it as tactical FUDD. ;D I'll even wear my smiley boxers. Oh, wait, I have The Watchmen version. Probably a bad idea. ;D ;D ;D
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk