Author Topic: Stupid Revolver Question  (Read 6949 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stupid Revolver Question
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:06:58 PM »
I know there is probably a head smackingly obvious anwer here, but I got to thinking about this and I couldn't see it.Here's the question. Why do SA revolvers never come with swing out cylinders? I get its for aesthetic reasons on a lot of them, but why not on hunting and target guns? It would make reloading less of a PITA.
FQ13 who is waiting for a response beginning with "Duh"   

tombogan03884

Re: Stupid Revolver Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:56:51 PM »
H&R made one in .22 it was double action as well . I saw one in the local GS last winter.

LittleRed

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »
Nostalgia aside, for those using it for target and hunting—accuracy.

The space between the cylinder face and barrel is less than a swing-out cylinder. Since the cylinder is fixed on both ends, it is supposed to line up to the bore better. Some would argue reliability, but most quality revolvers already have pretty high marks there.

I suppose it would be like comparing a semi-auto to a bolt-action rifle—less moving parts help with consistency/accuracy.

For me personally, the previous answer is completely hypothetical since I haven't attained the level of marksmanship where I can blame my firearms for any lack of accuracy. If I am not shooting well, it's usually operator error.   :)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
High Standardmade the Double Nine.  A double action nine shot .22 that looked like a single action .22. I think they also made this as a convertable model with a .22 mag cylinder also.  There may have been others made by HS similar to this but with a differant name.  I have heard that the Hollywood prop guys liked these as they held nine shots and they didn't have to teach the actors to cock the hammer first as on a traditional single action.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187620309
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

BAC

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
Double action revolvers don't have to be shot double action.   ;)
Let us not forget the schofield, which is a top-break single action.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:00:45 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
H&R Ultra Sportsman SA topbreak
  Also the IverJohnosn Champion
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:11:36 AM »
The design of the SA revolver predates the swing out cyl. designed into the SA/DA revo.  Once the SA/DA revo came out I guess no one thought to try to redesign the SA with a SOC because it was outdated.  Also, it was easier just to draw a second SA.  I believe the SA would have faded into obscurity (sp) if it hadn't been for the B Cowboy movies of thr 40's and 50's and the fastdraw craze and Bill Ruger.

JMHOFWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:14 AM »
The design of the SA revolver predates the swing out cyl. designed into the SA/DA revo.  Once the SA/DA revo came out I guess no one thought to try to redesign the SA with a SOC because it was outdated.  Also, it was easier just to draw a second SA.  I believe the SA would have faded into obscurity (sp) if it hadn't been for the B Cowboy movies of thr 40's and 50's and the fastdraw craze and Bill Ruger.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I think your answer is most likely to be the correct one.

And I have opined here many times that I would love to have a SOC SA (say in .357).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
FQ.... evidently that was NOT a stupid revolver question.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
FQ.... evidently that was NOT a stupid revolver question.

I thought he was only wrong about politics  ;D

Actually it's something I've wondered about as well. .
Another thing, everyone loves the Garand's lines, why doesn't some one make a shorter, lighter, simplified rifle that still maintains the same profile ?

Think of an SKS with the lines of an M -1.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk