Author Topic: Stupid Revolver Question  (Read 6950 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stupid Revolver Question
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
I thought he was only wrong about politics  ;D

Actually it's something I've wondered about as well. .
Another thing, everyone loves the Garand's lines, why doesn't some one make a shorter, lighter, simplified rifle that still maintains the same profile ?

Think of an SKS with the lines of an M -1.
Mmmmm..... THANKS Tom, now HOW am I going to get that picture out of my head? There's no way to fix that.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
I thought he was only wrong about politics  ;D

Actually it's something I've wondered about as well. .
Another thing, everyone loves the Garand's lines, why doesn't some one make a shorter, lighter, simplified rifle that still maintains the same profile ?

Think of an SKS with the lines of an M -1.

Way back then the Ruger Mini-14 project was announced, I was expecting, well, hoping at least, for it to be that shorter, lighter, simplified version of the M-14.

Still waiting for that too...unless you count the Mini-30, which I don't.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
Now HERE is a stupid revolver question.
How come my Ruger cylinders get a line on them from the little index thingy sticking out of the frame?

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
SA ?

Yer 'playing' with it and spinning the cylinder. 
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
I was gonna mention top-break single action revolvers like the Smiths (which I love to death) and the even stranger Merwin Hulbert, which had a sort of swing out frame. BTW, I keep getting emails from the guys who are ostensibly relaunching the Merwin, which I will be buying on the DAY they become available, sucker that I am...

Let Grant Cunningham, who has forgotten more than I know abouyt revolvers, answer the ring question...if the ring is really bad, it's because the bolt is hanging up a little bit...had that problem with a Blackhawk after many many thousands of rounds.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:17:27 AM »

GrantCunningham

• Forum Member
    • www.grantcunningham.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
Now HERE is a stupid revolver question.
How come my Ruger cylinders get a line on them from the little index thingy sticking out of the frame?

The little thing that pops up to lock the cylinder in place is variously known as a bolt (Colt), stop (S&W) or latch (Ruger.)

As the gun is cocked, either in single or double action, the bolt/stop/latch retracts into the frame to allow the cylinder to rotate. At some point it has to come back up to engage a notch in the cylinder and stop the rotation.

It can't pop up at the last instant, because if the cylinder is traveling quickly (due to over zealous SA cocking or rapid DA fire) the latch won't have time to drop into the cylinder notch. To get around this problem, the manufacturers allow the bolt/stop/latch to contact the cylinder some distance before the notch. Because of this the bolt/stop/latch now rides on the cylinder surface for some distance, producing the wear pattern you see on your gun.

The problem is generally more obvious on DA guns, because the lead-in distance is usually longer than a SA gun. In addition, when opening and closing the cylinder the bolt/stop/latch comes to rest in a different place every time, and usually outside of the lead-in area. When the cylinder is rotated, the bolt/stop/latch rubs on that surface as well.

If the ring is quite pronounced, it's generally due to a rough surface on the top of the bolt/stop/latch. This can be reduced a bit by having that surface polished smooth.
-=[ Grant ]=-
-
Gunsmith, writer, trainer
Combat Focus Shooting Instructor

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
The little thing that pops up to lock the cylinder in place is variously known as a bolt (Colt), stop (S&W) or latch (Ruger.)

As the gun is cocked, either in single or double action, the bolt/stop/latch retracts into the frame to allow the cylinder to rotate. At some point it has to come back up to engage a notch in the cylinder and stop the rotation.

It can't pop up at the last instant, because if the cylinder is traveling quickly (due to over zealous SA cocking or rapid DA fire) the latch won't have time to drop into the cylinder notch. To get around this problem, the manufacturers allow the bolt/stop/latch to contact the cylinder some distance before the notch. Because of this the bolt/stop/latch now rides on the cylinder surface for some distance, producing the wear pattern you see on your gun.

The problem is generally more obvious on DA guns, because the lead-in distance is usually longer than a SA gun. In addition, when opening and closing the cylinder the bolt/stop/latch comes to rest in a different place every time, and usually outside of the lead-in area. When the cylinder is rotated, the bolt/stop/latch rubs on that surface as well.

If the ring is quite pronounced, it's generally due to a rough surface on the top of the bolt/stop/latch. This can be reduced a bit by having that surface polished smooth.

JAYBET!

PUT THE DREMMEL DOWN AND BACK AWAY!

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
What are you talkin' about Haz... I don't use a Dremel. For fine work I've got a B&D grinder with a 60 grit wheel. Once you develop the touch, it works great!

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
What are you talkin' about Haz... I don't use a Dremel. For fine work I've got a B&D grinder with a 60 grit wheel. Once you develop the touch, it works great!

LOL!

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »
There have been DA revolvers with fixed cylinders ie Colt Thunder/Lighting.  As far as SA revolvers with swing out cylinders there were some Nagant revolver that were SA only (not all were DA).  Believe the Japan and some other European armies also issued a SA with swing out cylinder between 1880-1920s.

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk