Author Topic: Unorthodox shooting position-mountain bike?  (Read 16522 times)

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Unorthodox shooting position-mountain bike?
« on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:37 AM »
I just got the PDN unorthodox shooting positions video.  The suggestion of visualizing situations that are realistic was made.  There have been mountain lion attacks in the state and the PD has actually shot one in town on one of my normal routes and have seen tracks of a second.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on drawing w/o covering myself.  It isn't possible to follow the handle bars like was suggested to follow the steering wheel. 

Alternatives to drawing and shooting, because by the time a person gets stopped the lion WILL be on top of them. And being in city limits it's last thing I really would want to do.  Situational Awareness will only take you so far, because we aren't talking about a 2 legged predator.  I do carry a SOG Fusion.  OC IS NOT an option due to normal wind patterns. 

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Unorthodox shooting position-mountain bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:44:25 AM »
It might help if you could offer some vid clips, otherwise we are working blind. :-\ For what its worth, and this is just boiler plate, I think the ""Feed the attacking animal your weak arm and fire point blank into its guts" school of thought seems like a good  defaut option. If there's something better out there, I'd love to hear it.
FQ13

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 02:20:41 AM »
This is what it's like around Bismarck

Still looking for video of attacks.  They'll go for a throat first.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »
Your screwed.
Defending, and drawing takes 2 hands, The movement means the bike is going down at that speed, no hands left for brakes, once you hit the ground you will either miss because your falling off a bike, (If your luck is like mine you will kill some one 3 states away ) or you will lose the gun when you hit the ground.

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 03:24:49 AM »
Your screwed.
Defending, and drawing takes 2 hands, The movement means the bike is going down at that speed, no hands left for brakes, once you hit the ground you will either miss because your falling off a bike, (If your luck is like mine you will kill some one 3 states away ) or you will lose the gun when you hit the ground.
I realize that I would be screwed, that's why I'm asking since this isn't the typical question a normal person would ask or come across unless they ride where I ride.  The ND Game and Fish have made it pretty clear that there are more mountain lions in the state and since I am looking forward to doing the Maah Daah Hey trail next summer it is a real possibility.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:36:44 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:33:52 AM »
Maybe invite TWyacht and his zillion dollar .338 Lapua out to visit before your ride? ;) God knows he's never had a chance to shoot it at over a 100 yards, and your state could cure that. I'm also fairly certain that he can get the job done at 500 or so. It's a win win scenario. I just want pictures (and police reports)! ;D ;D ;D
FQ13

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:37:20 AM »
Hopefully MB will read and chime in on this since he faces the same problems.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
Is there a way to mound a holster at the center of the handle bars so that a draw can be made one handed with either  hand?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:53:17 AM »
Is there a way to mound a holster at the center of the handle bars so that a draw can be made one handed with either  hand?

That is Bane's solution.  A wilderness safepacker mounted as a barbag. 

If you get ambushed you will be separated from the bike and the weapon.  But by that point you couldn't get to a retained weapon in time anyway.
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »
I realize that I would be screwed, that's why I'm asking since this isn't the typical question a normal person would ask or come across unless they ride where I ride.  The ND Game and Fish have made it pretty clear that there are more mountain lions in the state and since I am looking forward to doing the Maah Daah Hey trail next summer it is a real possibility.

I did not mean my post to sound sarcastic as it may have.
What I meant was that there really is no way to win in that situation, (without applying FQ's solution of "Sniper over watch ) there are just to many things going on that all require hands and attention .
For specifically Mountain lions, rather than the gun you might get better use from one of those "Spray can type fog horns they sell for boaters, Cougars are like burglars, they rely on stealth and do not care for loud noises.
It may not cause the lion to take off, but at least it alerts others in the area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk