Author Topic: Common Sense!  (Read 4678 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Common Sense!
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:14:37 PM »
Sometimes, I get depressed at how we seem willing to fall for idiots of both the left and right. Pat Robertson and the Religious Right telling us that "Jesus loves us, but he can't stand you", or BHO and Nany Pelosi saying "We're from the government and we're here to help" and actually meaning it. :P Still, I sometimes find an honest man. A cynic, who understands the world. H. L. Mencken has restored my faith in humanity before. He did it again today. Here is a quote from The Minority Report:

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." From "Minority Report" (If you haven't read it, you should).

I'll post that without comment and let the board chime in. I'm curious as to the responses.
FQ13

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Common Sense!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
Mencken was an out there a little bit type of guy, but a realist.

"The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. He is not actually happy when free; he is uncomfortable, a bit alarmed, and intolerably lonely. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty - and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies."
H.L. Mencken, February 12, 1923, Baltimore Evening Sun

My favorite Mencken quote:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

I think Mencken sounded like David Hume, unlike John Stuart Mill, or Heinlen, or even Thomas Paine, even Orwell who invoked even a violent alternative to encroachments of liberty.

Than again:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

:P

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
Mencken was an out there a little bit type of guy, but a realist.
My favorite Mencken quote:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Oh Happy day! We've seen it twice in less than ten years. :'(
FQ13 who really hopes the people will decide to elect someone they genuinely believe is BETTER than them, not someone who is just like them. I mean, I like myself just fine. I'm reasonably smart, sometimes funny, and a loyal friend. But, if anyone suggested I should be President? I'd give them a Leroy Jethro Gibbs head slap! There's a difference between someone you want to have a beer with, and someone you want to take orders from. Hopefully, the American people will grow up and realize that before its too late. :P

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
Oh Happy day! We've seen it twice in less than ten years. :'(
FQ13 who really hopes the people will decide to elect someone they genuinely believe is BETTER than them, not someone who is just like them. I mean, I like myself just fine. I'm reasonably smart, sometimes funny, and a loyal friend. But, if anyone suggested I should be President? I'd give them a Leroy Jethro Gibbs head slap! There's a difference between someone you want to have a beer with, and someone you want to take orders from. Hopefully, the American people will grow up and realize that before its too late. :P

I understand where you're coming from, FQ, and you may be right....but, we might be better off with the type of guy who knows what it's like to have callouses on his hands from a long days work but has worked his way up into not having to have those callouses because of his intelligence and common sense....they type of guy who can keep his affairs afloat without bouncing checks all over town, the guy who has taken his kid to the ER with appendicitis at 3 AM and knows what it's like to struggle to pay the hospital bill (but gets it paid anyway).......the type of guy who would gladly shoot the SOB that raped his daughter, but decides to let the courts serve justice so he can stay and tend to his family....the type of guy who readily would slap the sh!t out of someone for insulting his wife......hell, I don't know......just seems the reason we are in such a mess is that the powers that be have lost touch with the 'common man' and think they know whats best for us.

I don't want someone who is better than me in the White House.......I want someone who has walked a mile in my shoes at some point in his life and understands me.

Of course, there's one big flaw with my thought process, and that is, as I've said before (and probably will again), we will never have the 'right' person in the White House again....because the types of folks with the right mix of sense and intelligence for the job are smart enough to not want to get mixed up in the foulness that is DC politics in the first place.

Of course, I am probably wrong...but right now I blame the Darvocet and muscle relaxers I took a few hours ago.   ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:30:30 PM »
I get where you're coming from Peg, and the last thing I want is a cult of the "Dear Leader".  Madison put it best. Democracy (the republican sort), is designed to be a filter, not a mirror. You don't elect people who are like you, you elect the people you admire. Distilled to its basics, you should treat every election as a job interview for who you hire to be your boss.  We don't want (at least most of us) to be in charge. We just want someone who knows what they're doing to take care of business. To me, electing a President is like hiring a plumber or a doctor, or an attorney. Its a dirty job. I don't want to do it, and don't know how, but I  want someone competant to do the job. I guess I'm saying that "elitism" isn't a dirty word if the "elite" are elite for the right reasons. I'd offer Washington, Jefferson and Eisenhower as examples. If I'm going to hire my boss, I would want someone I would respect enough to say "You're fired" and trust that they were probably right. :-\
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:14:46 AM »

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
That isn't elite, that is a subjct matter expert.  In this case, a LEADER.

Last time the people wanted an ordinary guy like us, we got Carter.  :(
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
I thought this was a timely quote:
Knowledge, learning, talents are not necessarily connected with sound moral and political principles. And eminent abilities, accompanied with depravity of heart, render the possessor tenfold more dangerous in a community.~Noah Webster
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 06:16:45 PM »
F*ck all that, I want some one who has killed men for insulting him, like Jackson  ;D
Paintings don't show it, but he commanded the battle of New Orleans with his arm in a sling, he had surgery to remove a bullet from his shoulder , IIRC, it was put there by his ADC Thomas Hart Benton.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »
F*ck all that, I want some one who has killed men for insulting him, like Jackson  Grin

I weep for the liberty of my country when I see at this early day of its successful experiment that corruption has been imputed to many members of the House of Representatives, and the rights of the people have been bartered for promises of office.
Andrew Jackson

If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
Andrew Jackson

Our government is founded upon the intelligence of the people. I for one do not despair of the republic. I have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.
Andrew Jackson

Peace, above all things, is to be desired, but blood must sometimes be spilled to obtain it on equable and lasting terms.
Andrew Jackson

Good point Tom.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
I get where you're coming from Peg, and the last thing I want is a cult of the "Dear Leader".  Madison put it best. Democracy (the republican sort), is designed to be a filter, not a mirror. You don't elect people who are like you, you elect the people you admire. Distilled to its basics, you should treat every election as a job interview for who you hire to be your boss.  We don't want (at least most of us) to be in charge. We just want someone who knows what they're doing to take care of business. To me, electing a President is like hiring a plumber or a doctor, or an attorney. Its a dirty job. I don't want to do it, and don't know how, but I  want someone competant to do the job. I guess I'm saying that "elitism" isn't a dirty word if the "elite" are elite for the right reasons. I'd offer Washington, Jefferson and Eisenhower as examples. If I'm going to hire my boss, I would want someone I would respect enough to say "You're fired" and trust that they were probably right. :-\
FQ13

How do you reconcile that flowery prose with the vote you cast in 08?
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk