Author Topic: Some Iowa Sheriffs Have Their Undies In A Bunch Over New Shall Issue Law  (Read 12684 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
Re: Some Iowa Sheriffs Have Their Undies In A Bunch Over New Shall Issue Law
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »

As most of you know, I was a general contractor that spealized in 100+ year old homes.

The old saying they don't make them like they use too, Is a very, very good thing trust me.  Yes every one was drunk back them, thats why alot of the work was complete and utter crap.

Not disagreeing with you at all....but I've seen some 10 year old houses built like crap too.   ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »
If you ignore the media hysteria you will most likely find that the law has nothing to do with long guns which generally come under hunting regulations rather than "carry" laws.
For example, In Maine, with a CCW you can legally carry a loaded pistol any time, any where (Except Federal buildings etc. ) However, They do not permit hunting on Sundays, if a Game warden finds you with a rifle , even unloaded, in the woods on Sunday, or with out a hunting license it is considered Prima Facie evidence of illegal hunting, SD and carry regulations never enter the picture.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
Alot of what he said is true.  Rather you like it or lot does not make it less true.

Carrying a long gun over your shoulder is going to scare some people, thats never going to change, get use to it.

honestly, is there anyone here that disagrees with that statement?

When gays began openly marching for gay rights, "really disturbed a lot of people".  Those who were disturbed by it were told to "get used to it, we have our rights".  How is this different TAB?

While I will say that I have no plans to walk down Main Street, Iowa with a loaded rifle slung over my shoulder, "shall not be infringed" gives me that right.

Carrying a long gun over your shoulder is going to scare some people

Show me where the Constitution guarantees somebody's right to not be scared.  Hell, if it was in there, the government would be eradicating spiders from my house cause they scare the hell out of the wife.

Try to use rational arguments, and stay away from emotion.  The anti's use it because it's all they have.  Don't lower yourself to their level.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

tt11758

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
If you ignore the media hysteria you will most likely find that the law has nothing to do with long guns which generally come under hunting regulations rather than "carry" laws.
For example, In Maine, with a CCW you can legally carry a loaded pistol any time, any where (Except Federal buildings etc. ) However, They do not permit hunting on Sundays, if a Game warden finds you with a rifle , even unloaded, in the woods on Sunday, or with out a hunting license it is considered Prima Facie evidence of illegal hunting, SD and carry regulations never enter the picture.

The new Iowa law doesn't distinguish between handguns, long guns, knives, tasers, etc, when it comes to legal carry of a weapon.  That being said, the law is set up for DNR regulations to trump carry permit laws.  So, if you're carrying a gun (handgun, shotung, rifle, etc) during deer bow hunting season you'll get your pee-pee slapped by the DNR.  Likewise, if you're carrying a loaded, uncased shot gun in your vehicle in the country during pheasant season, the Game Warden will want a word with you.

The bottom line here, in my opinion, is common sense.  Apparently certain of Iowa's Sheriffs don't believe their constituents have any.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
Not disagreeing with you at all....but I've seen some 10 year old houses built like crap too.   ;D

SO have I, but atleast they know what 16" on center is when it comes to studs or atleast close too it.

Its not uncommon at all to open up a wall and find studs every where from 8"-36" center in the same damn wall.

I can count on one hand the houses I've remodeled that frame was structurally sound.  All the others its either rot or plain bad carpentry.  Most of the time it was a wonder they were still standing.  Hell I even hired one SE one time that went into the basement to get measurements for drawings.  He came back out in about 2 mins and said he refused to go back under there as he was a afriad the house was going to colapse on him.

PS yes I did fire his ass on the spot.   ;D
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

When gays began openly marching for gay rights, "really disturbed a lot of people".  Those who were disturbed by it were told to "get used to it, we have our rights".  How is this different TAB?

They are not even close.  

Who said anything about me saying it should be illegal?

all I said was the Cheif was right on a few points.

Like it or not carrying around a long gun is going to scare some people. Which will lead to probs, trust me, sooner or latter some one is going to make a big stink about it. 
The qoute about the 1st thing going is judgement when booze is envoled is also true.  

Just becuase you don't agree with something, does not make it less true.

One more thing, shall not be infringed does not mean what you think it means.  At the federal level, the 2a means you can have a gun at the ready in your home, for both sporting and SD.  Like it or not, thats what courts have ruled and thats what will be enforced.  States have diffrent rules, but they all must comply to atleast that.

tt11758

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
They are not even close.  

Who said anything about me saying it should be illegal?

all I said was the Cheif was right on a few points.

Like it or not carrying around a long gun is going to scare some people. Which will lead to probs, trust me, sooner or latter some one is going to make a big stink about it. 
The qoute about the 1st thing going is judgement when booze is envoled is also true.  

Just becuase you don't agree with something, does not make it less true.

One more thing, shall not be infringed does not mean what you think it means.  At the federal level, the 2a means you can have a gun at the ready in your home, for both sporting and SD.  Like it or not, thats what courts have ruled and thats what will be enforced.  States have diffrent rules, but they all must comply to atleast that.

TAB, you are wrong.  However, since I'll not be changing your mind, I'll just leave you with your own words, "Just because you don't agree with something does not make it less true."

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
Seems to me the word "Compromise" is not in TAB's vocabulary.

Capitulate is as resistant as  he gets.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »

As most of you know, I was a general contractor that spealized in 100+ year old homes.

The old saying they don't make them like they use too, Is a very, very good thing trust me.  Yes every one was drunk back them, thats why alot of the work was complete and utter crap.

But they were still standing, weren't they ?  ;D
One thing I have seen in houses built during the depression or WWII era (lumber was among rationed items during WWII )
is studs, and floor joists 32 inches on center, because the builder could not get enough lumber for 16 on center.
Had a job back in the 80's putting in the missing joists, what fun    ::)   Then of course there was the Canadian 5/8ths boards.
It's part of why I got out of that crap as soon as I could.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »

TAB, you are wrong.  However, since I'll not be changing your mind, I'll just leave you with your own words, "Just because you don't agree with something does not make it less true."

Tell me how and were I am wrong.

Compromise is in my vocab, but I'm not arguing the merits or short comings of the law in question, only that the cheif is right when it comes to 2 things.  

1 guns scare some people.
2 being intoxicated decreases people abilty to make sound judgments.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk