Author Topic: Some Iowa Sheriffs Have Their Undies In A Bunch Over New Shall Issue Law  (Read 12700 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Some Iowa Sheriffs Have Their Undies In A Bunch Over New Shall Issue Law
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
Tell me how and were I am wrong.

Compromise is in my vocab, but I'm not arguing the merits or short comings of the law in question, only that the cheif is right when it comes to 2 things.  

1 guns scare some people.
2 being intoxicated decreases people abilty to make sound judgments.

Your current avatar being a case in point ?    ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
But they were still standing, weren't they ?  ;D
One thing I have seen in houses built during the depression or WWII era (lumber was among rationed items during WWII )
is studs, and floor joists 32 inches on center, because the builder could not get enough lumber for 16 on center.
Had a job back in the 80's putting in the missing joists, what fun    ::)   Then of course there was the Canadian 5/8ths boards.
It's part of why I got out of that crap as soon as I could.

whats fun was the "ornageberg pipe"

For those that don't know what is, its a fiber glass and generally asbestos renefored paper pipes that were then diped in asphalt.  they have a habit of going flat.  We are talking a 4" will become a pancake that is maybe 3/4" thick.

one of many tom, one of many...

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »
There is a big diffrence between having a gun in a truck and going into the store with one on your shoulder.  

20 years ago I use to ride my bike about 15 miles to the next county over with a 22 straped to my back.  County and state officals would trade 22 shells for ground squrrel tails.  They were digging into the leaves.  This was in California, right accross the river from "Old town"  and only about mile from the capitol.

How far do you think a 8-10 year old would get now with a 22 straped to his back?  What do you think would happen to say a game warden or a flood control guy if they were cuaght handing out 22 shells?

I did that for years, never got in trouble with the cops, One time I had one take me home after he saw me walking my bike home after dark as I had a flat tire.    

Hell what do you think the chances of a cop taking a kid, his bike ( and rifle of corse) home becuase he had a flat tire are these days?

There is a big difference between me having my 1911 in the glove box and in my waist band as well.  However, I am still going to carry it.  And when I am trying on jackets or reaching for stuff up high some people are going to see it.

8 - 10 year old with the .22 over their shoulder ... oh please bring back the good old days!  I can remember the days of kids riding their bikes out to hunt rabbits, squirrels and gophers.  The liberal side has sensitized us in a bad way.

I listen to many, and TAB you are one of them, that tell me we are too in their face.  They tell me to settle down and work quietly.  They tell me to be gentle and flex a little.  F*** NO!!!  We have been too quiet, gentle and flexible!  We didn't lose our freedoms - we gave them away.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »
Seems like simple convenience will limit or eliminate the number of people wandering around with loaded rifles and shot guns as SD weapons.
Try it for 24 hours, it's a PITA.   ;D

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »
Seems like simple convenience will limit or eliminate the number of people wandering around with loaded rifles and shot guns as SD weapons.
Try it for 24 hours, it's a PITA.   ;D

Exactly.  I've lumped around with a rifle slung on my back for seemingly unending periods of time.  NOT the most fun I ever had with my pants on.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

Sponsor

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
Enforce current law(s)...To carry concealed, there is usually a ZERO tolerance standard with regards to alcohol. For open carry states, if a drunk idiot is carrying an AR or 12g, on his shoulder chugging tequila, than Darwin was right, he gets arrested, or gets shot.

Yes, openly armed citizens will always scare the grass eaters, but as statistics have proven, "An armed society, is a polite society."

The cops will have to,........uh,....do their jobs, enforce current laws, and remember 40,000,000 guns killed NO ONE TODAY.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »
Tell me how and were I am wrong.

Compromise is in my vocab, but I'm not arguing the merits or short comings of the law in question, only that the cheif is right when it comes to 2 things.  

1 guns scare some people.
2 being intoxicated decreases people abilty to make sound judgments.

Were you are wrong, TAB, is in your statement     Get Used To It.     

Don't try to change it, don't fight it...just    Bend Over And Get Used To It.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »

8 - 10 year old with the .22 over their shoulder ... oh please bring back the good old days!  I can remember the days of kids riding their bikes out to hunt rabbits, squirrels and gophers.  The liberal side has sensitized us in a bad way.

Both my boys would come home from school.. eat a snack then grab their 22's and head across town to the old dam road and river.. They would shoot turtles.. hedge apples.. squirrels..
One time Danny was on his bike..and the local cop stopped him and ask if he could shoot him a couple squirrels for their supper.. He did.. and upon delivery that evening...was offered payment.Danny told him no.. so he gave him a box of 22's .
That was in 1982,, We have certainly gone downhill from there..

(Although we still can carry guns etc around this area in our back truck windows etc.. I imagine kids can still take their rifles down to the river too without incident for the most part.)
But I think our area here is few and far between what is elsewhere. And it is slowly changing.. so I imagine the paranoia will creep here too sometime in the near future.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »
Both my boys would come home from school.. eat a snack then grab their 22's and head across town to the old dam road and river.. They would shoot turtles.. hedge apples.. squirrels..
One time Danny was on his bike..and the local cop stopped him and ask if he could shoot him a couple squirrels for their supper.. He did.. and upon delivery that evening...was offered payment.Danny told him no.. so he gave him a box of 22's .

(Although we still can carry guns etc around this area in our back truck windows etc.. I imagine kids can still take their rifles down to the river too without incident for the most part.)
But I think our area here is few and far between what is elsewhere. And it is slowly changing.. so I imagine the paranoia will creep here too sometime in the near future.

I seem to recall a strange black and white spiral spinning in front of me and the voice of Rod Serling echoing as I crossed a ridge in the Flint Hills while riding toward Howard  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »

It was the late 80s for me.  Litterly less then a mile away from the capitol building.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk