Author Topic: Some Iowa Sheriffs Have Their Undies In A Bunch Over New Shall Issue Law  (Read 12694 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some Iowa Sheriffs Have Their Undies In A Bunch Over New Shall Issue Law
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Dittoes TAB. Not the bike thing, but when I was 16 (the legal age to hunt without an adult in Fl. at the time), my dad would drive me to the Big Cypress and help me and a friend (or just me at times) launch a canoe, camping gear and a shotgun and rod to go hunting on Friday. He'd go on to Everglades City to hang out with friends. He'd pick us up at noon on Sunday. These days he'd be charged with child abuse. ::) :P
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
We used to take our shotguns and deer rifles to school when I was in high school. Hell, when I was going to our local JuCo 22 years ago, I carried a rifle to one of my classes as a class project. All I had to do was drop by the campus security office and let them know I had it.......boy have times changed rapidly.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 02:16:24 AM »
When Norinco first started importing AK's I bought one. A friend came over and wanted to go try it out he was parked across the street and as we went out with the AK in one hand and a case of ammo in the other, one of the local cops stopped to let me cross the street into the school parking lot where my buddies car was  ;D

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
I seem to recall a strange black and white spiral spinning in front of me and the voice of Rod Serling echoing as I crossed a ridge in the Flint Hills while riding toward Howard  ;)

And you didn't stop and say "Hey" to me on your way through? I'm hurt.  :'(

;D

Tom, I remember when I was in high school my Algebra teacher taught me how to field strip and clean his CMP M-1 Garand, in a class room during his off hour! I don't think I went to school withOUT a shotgun or .22 in my car. Time surely have changed, and not for the better.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
And you didn't stop and say "Hey" to me on your way through? I'm hurt.  :'(

;D

Tom, I remember when I was in high school my Algebra teacher taught me how to field strip and clean his CMP M-1 Garand, in a class room during his off hour! I don't think I went to school withOUT a shotgun or .22 in my car. Time surely have changed, and not for the better.

This July I promise!  You have no idea how close I get to your current location.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »
2 things jump out at me in the article:

A - The new carry-permit process does not require applicants to prove they have had practical training in shooting the weapon they will carry.

Yet it says: Also, the current fee of $10 will jump to $50 for five years with a $25-renewal fee. Applicants also must prove they went to a certified safety training course.

So which is it??

B: In Louisa County, Sheriff Brad Turner said he knows of five people in his county "that I'm pretty sure are going to be coming in to get a permit to carry and because of our in-house records and what not, I know they have no business having immediate access to a handgun."

If you did your freaking job and arrested those people instead of keeping "in-house records" and "what not" it wouldn't be an issue would it?!! And what exactly is "what not"? Personal beef perhaps?

"If I'm ordered by a judge to issue a permit and something bad happens, the first thing I'm going to show is that order," Turner confidently said, adding there has been a great demand in Louisa County to get permits the past year or so.

So he does know what official paperwork is.  Amazing.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 11:24:12 PM »
Sheriff is an elected position here.
In NH these "people" would not have jobs.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 01:27:48 AM »

"If I'm ordered by a judge to issue a permit and something bad happens, the first thing I'm going to show is that order," Turner confidently said, adding there has been a great demand in Louisa County to get permits the past year or so.

thats a CYA move and I would do the same thing.  So would most of us if they were in his shoes.

If the people that elected him don't like it, they can always elect some one else.

One more thing, if you truely beleave some one is a danger and has no place getting a CCW, then they should not get one.

I can think of 3 things off the top of my head that would allow some one that should not have a gun/ccw to have one.

1 they went to a mental hosipital of thier own free will.  a guy could be nuts, but if he has never been held in one aginst his will, he can still have a firearm.
2 had charges droped do to "funny " stuff
3 has had several NDs over the years,

yeah, that might not jive to well with all of you, but do you really want some one that has had several NDs c
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 06:51:24 AM »
A - The new carry-permit process does not require applicants to prove they have had practical training in shooting the weapon they will carry.

Yet it says: Also, the current fee of $10 will jump to $50 for five years with a $25-renewal fee. Applicants also must prove they went to a certified safety training course.

So which is it??

The certified safety training course I took for my permit was classroom only.  IMHO it was not much of a course.  Also, in Colorado your permit does not specify the weapon it is applicable for.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 07:22:06 AM »
Frankly, as long as your CCW is about the same as your DL in terms of cost and hassel, I'm not really going to bitch. I mean yeah, we can can stand on our high horse. For me what matters is that all comers who are "at least as tall as this sign" can pay a reasonable fee and get the permit approved is a win. $25-$50, a test, no test; as long as its quick, uniform and easily available, I'll live with it. Again, the DL is the standard. Am I wrong here?
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk