Author Topic: Rendell vetoes bill to expand 'castle doctrine' (PA)  (Read 2611 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rendell vetoes bill to expand 'castle doctrine' (PA)
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:12:18 AM »
Gov. Ed Rendell on Saturday vetoed three bills, including a measure to expand a person's right to use lethal force against a perceived threat outside of the home.

The current law, the so-called castle doctrine, already protects residents' right to defend themselves in their homes, or "castles." The bill would have extended that right beyond the home and removed a person's "duty to retreat" to avoid a potentially violent confrontation.

"The bill as passed encourages the use of deadly force, even when safe retreat is available, and advances a 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality," Mr. Rendell said in a statement issued Saturday afternoon. "I do not believe that in a civilized society we should encourage violent and deadly confrontation when the victim can safely protect themselves."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10332/1106690-454.stm#ixzz16aBZGivQ
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Rendell vetoes bill to expand 'castle doctrine' (PA)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:16:42 AM »
This from a guy in charge of the Philly PD? ::)
FQ13

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »
That's why we voted him out. I wrote and asked that he just take no action on it and let his successor handle the bill. Pointed out he could leave with his conscience clear, and the people would get their rights back. It will be back, or maybe overridden by the legislature.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 494
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
Mr. Rendell, a former Philadelphia district attorney and mayor of the city, scolded state lawmakers for passing a bill he believes would incite greater gun violence.

Perhaps he was afraid it would make it more dangerous for Philly PD to firebomb apartment buildings.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »
They need an AZ type law.

From the AZ revised statutes:  A person has no duty to retreat before threatening or using deadly physical force pursuant to this section if the person is in a place where the person may legally be and is not engaged in an unlawful act.

For being so entrenched in our country's founding and fight for liberty, PA seems to be run by a bunch of libtards. I hope for all who live there that changes. Free people need freedom!

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:10:23 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
"The bill as passed encourages the use of deadly force, even when safe retreat is available, and advances a 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality," Mr. Rendell said in a statement issued Saturday afternoon. "I do not believe that in a civilized society we should encourage violent and deadly confrontation when the victim can safely protect themselves."

So a single parent with kids and two armed intruders in the house, should "retreat" without their kids? Or ask the BG's to wait a minute so they can round up the kids and "retreat"?

Encourage violent aand deadly confrontation?!?!?! The #&$#*(%&$# break into my house, and I should retreat? WHERE?
Thankfully Florida encourages the Castle Doctrine for THE LEGAL CITIZENS TO DEFEND THEIR LIFE AND PROPERTY.

Who is this asshat? Rendell? Bloombergs little lap dog?  PA better wake up. >:(

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
Funny CA has had a castle doctrine for decades... 

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 956
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »
Funny CA has had a castle doctrine for decades... 

PA has the "Castle Doctrine" as well, and that was not what was vetoed:

The current law, the so-called castle doctrine, already protects residents' right to defend themselves in their homes, or "castles." The bill would have extended that right beyond the home and removed a person's "duty to retreat" to avoid a potentially violent confrontation.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10332/1106690-454.stm#ixzz16cALh8kJ
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
Outside of the home or business, is just as important as inside.

Mr. Rendell's veto of the expanded castle doctrine was a victory for law enforcement agencies that opposed the bill, arguing that it would lead to increased gun violence.

DOJ stats don't support this.

But the win probably won't last long. Gov.-elect Tom Corbett, who replaces Mr. Rendell in January, supports the measure. And the bill passed with overwhelming support in the House and the Senate earlier this year.

Good, at least their "getting it"

"The governor is really out of step with literally all of Pennsylvania," said state Rep. Scott Perry, R-York, the prime sponsor of the castle doctrine element of the bill. "This had strong bipartisan support. ... It's not about protecting your home. It's about protecting yourself or your family against attack." Mr. Perry said the bill will be reintroduced in 2011.

Florida's Legislature overturned a few stupid RINO bills Gov. Crist signed recently,...almost immediately after being sworn in.

Looks like 2011, is a brand new year to get it passed. Seems the politicians that are "out of step" with the majority of LAW ABIDING gun owners, are finding themselves "out of office as well"....

If I can use lethal force to defend myself from a LETHAL THREAT, whether I am or not, shouldn't matter. The law abiding citizen, generally does NOT initiate an armed robbery, car jacking, mugging whatever.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »
the laws in CA are the same every where. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk