Author Topic: The 1911 Sucks.  (Read 15083 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 1911 Sucks.
« on: December 24, 2010, 05:30:35 AM »
Feel free to read this article, and post a reply back to this asshat.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/12/yankee-gun-nuts/the-1911-sucks/comment-page-1/#comment-14785

Not the complete article, but a portion:

The 1911 Sucks

Posted on December 23, 2010 by Yankee Gun Nuts

I have said it before and I will end up saying it again: the 1911 an old design that is more trouble than it is worth.
I don’t say it to be confrontational, or to draw attention to myself. I say it because I see my fellow shooters mindlessly parroting the gun equivalent of Chuck Norris Facts whenever the 1911 comes up in conversation, and I just don’t get it. I am not surprised that the 1911 is out of place in today’s world, and you shouldn’t be surprised either. What other 100-year old design is still in daily use? In the comment section of another blog, I summarized my skepticism of the 1911′s attributes thusly:

It’s a 100-year old design. It needs tools to disassemble. It has unreliable magazines. It is finicky about ammo. And, as a single-action pistol, it is unsafe for 95% of its users to carry.

In my original complaint, I forgot to mention the issue with slide-stop failures, and the whole internal extractor/external extractor situation. Either of which would be serious enough to kill any other design’s reputation in the shooting world.

In response to some knee-jerk defenses of the 1911 from fanboys who drank too much John M. Browning Kool-Aid, who told me how all that I needed to do was buy a bunch of aftermarket parts and send the gun to a gunsmith, I added:

Why does a reliable 1911 cost so much, and need so much gunsmithing?

Should have known, coming from "Yankee Gun Nut"..... Some of the comments left already, are pretty good.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: The 1911 Sucks.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:22:43 AM »
Lmao,I just posted a blistering commentary of my own on his stupidity.My closing comment on how I heard unsupported stupidity in junior high I think hits the taget right in the bulls eye.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:37:34 AM »
Lmao,I just posted a blistering commentary of my own on his stupidity.My closing comment on how I heard unsupported stupidity in junior high I think hits the taget right in the bulls eye.

Good reply, DZ.  The guy does sound a 'bit'  ::) immature, especially in his reply to comments.  On here we'd just call him a troll.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:21:51 AM »
yep yep  yep  merry christmas all

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
And all of you just read his column, probably for the first time. Methinks that Yankee may be counting site hits. ;)
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:27:49 PM »

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »
My desire to read that article is rivaled only by my desire to watch MSNBC.   :P

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
I wont waste my time on him...................MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL  ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
It’s a 100-year old design. It needs tools to disassemble. It has unreliable magazines. It is finicky about ammo.

Hmmm...his must be different than mine. 

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
Adressed his reply to my reply..lmao this guy really is a tool.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
Probably thinks the Winchester Model 94 is a POS.
It fires an antique under powered round and is more than 100 years old.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk