Author Topic: The 1911 Sucks.  (Read 15084 times)

tombogan03884

Re: The 1911 Sucks.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
The Gatling gun is a 150 year old design and that seems to be working OK  ;D

lonedog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
My RIA and R1 were both jam-free out of the box. My AO, not so much. Purdy shure it will break in with a few more rounds.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »
BillT has it right...I'd rather deprime Berdan ammo with my teeth! LOL!

To be sure, you get more traffic with controversy than petting kittens...reminds me of when I used to do music reviews...the editors would hire me because I excelled in nasty/snarky/funny and could make artists cry. One morning it dawned on me that I was turning myself into a, ahem, asshole for hire, so I stopped.

About 1911s, you guys have pretty much said it all...I bought 4 of the damn things this year — the Para GI Expert that got turned into the retro 1911A1, a Remington R1, a Colt Rail Gun and another one we'll be talking about later. The Remington, the Colt and the other one have all been 100% out of the box, and that includes a LOT of rounds through them all. I talked about the Para problems earlier this year, sent it back and it was 100% thereafter. Pretty much like a Glock.

FQ, sometimes there's an apples/oranges issue when we compare 1911s to modern polymer-framed service pistols. To wit, we compare a generic 1911 to a Glock, where the more correct thing to do would be to compare a generic 1911 to a generic plastic frame pistol (and there are a few floating around, like a Hi-Point or an FMK). I imagine you'd find pretty much the same levels of quality.

If you look at my father's 1911A1 Remington Rand, you see a combat pistol with all the attributes you outline...works all the time with the ammo it was designed for, can be disassembled by a poodle and all the mission-critical parts can be replaced in the field. People like me took that gun, made it more complicated, less reliable and available with tail fins and racing stripes.

And Col. Cooper and I had our differences, but more times than not he was right, I was wrong.

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
BillT has it right...I'd rather deprime Berdan ammo with my teeth! LOL!

To be sure, you get more traffic with controversy than petting kittens...reminds me of when I used to do music reviews...the editors would hire me because I excelled in nasty/snarky/funny and could make artists cry. One morning it dawned on me that I was turning myself into a, ahem, asshole for hire, so I stopped.

About 1911s, you guys have pretty much said it all...I bought 4 of the damn things this year — the Para GI Expert that got turned into the retro 1911A1, a Remington R1, a Colt Rail Gun and another one we'll be talking about later. The Remington, the Colt and the other one have all been 100% out of the box, and that includes a LOT of rounds through them all. I talked about the Para problems earlier this year, sent it back and it was 100% thereafter. Pretty much like a Glock.

FQ, sometimes there's an apples/oranges issue when we compare 1911s to modern polymer-framed service pistols. To wit, we compare a generic 1911 to a Glock, where the more correct thing to do would be to compare a generic 1911 to a generic plastic frame pistol (and there are a few floating around, like a Hi-Point or an FMK). I imagine you'd find pretty much the same levels of quality.

If you look at my father's 1911A1 Remington Rand, you see a combat pistol with all the attributes you outline...works all the time with the ammo it was designed for, can be disassembled by a poodle and all the mission-critical parts can be replaced in the field. People like me took that gun, made it more complicated, less reliable and available with tail fins and racing stripes.

And Col. Cooper and I had our differences, but more times than not he was right, I was wrong.

Michael B

I would never have guessed you would 'excel' at 'nasty/snarky'!   ::)

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »
HA! I sense sarcasm!

I once wrote a review of a woman country music artist's newest album (remember "albums?") where all I mentioned was her dress, or lack of it, on the cover...it was a great cover...I think at the end of the review I added something like, "Oh yeah, the music sucked..." The editor nearly wept with joy...

Is this "thread creep?"

mb

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:50:43 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
HA! I sense sarcasm!

I once wrote a review of a woman country music artist's newest album (remember "albums?") where all I mentioned was her dress, or lack of it, on the cover...it was a great cover...I think at the end of the review I added something like, "Oh yeah, the music sucked..." The editor nearly wept with joy...

Is this "thread creep?"

mb

Nope!  I'm proud to say it's full out....

;D  ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

oldkat69

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Fides sed veritas
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
 :) Back on topic check this out! Kimber BP Ten II.  I never feel short on caliber or ammo with eleven rounds of .45 ACP.

I used to be open minded but my brain kept falling out.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 10:30:17 AM »
The only part I did agree with in the article was that Colt dropped the ball in 1911 quality. Back in Colt's "bad old days" (when Colt was the big boy in 1911 production), they let their QC slip horribly. I remember when just about every Colt 1911 had to take a trip to a gunsmith just to get ball ammo to feed 100%. Then, when other companies (Kimber, Para, STI, etc.) started making excellent 1911's at competitive prices, Colt folded. When Colt was acquired by an administration that wanted to make quality firearms, then Colt products started to reclaim their place as top 1911 makers. Today...well, I'll let Mr. Bane tell you about Colt quality....  8)

1911 vs. Beretta: Both guns are great for what they are....1911's are the best of the SA autos, and Beretta 92's are excellent TDA autos. I'd prefer that the US Military look long and hard at replacing the TDA autos with a polymer DAO design like the Springfield XD...but that's just me....

9mm vs. .45ACP:  Not that big a deal, IMHO. Both do the job they're designed for. I do think that, since the 9mm round fired from a large pistol is pretty gentle recoil-wise, it allows more hits per target in a quicker time than the .45ACP---probably why some people think the 9mm is less of a stopper than the .45ACP (you can put more 9mm bullets in the BG before he falls quicker than you can with a .45ACP). If we want to give soldiers a more effective round, maybe we should look hard at the 10mm or the 9x25 Dillion....hard to beat .357Mag ballistics....  ;D
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »
9mm vs. .45ACP:  Not that big a deal, IMHO. Both do the job they're designed for.

Here I agree. 25 years ago, before we had the all but perfect performing bullets we have today, the .45 ACP had a major advantage over the 9 MM. Today, that gap has been closed to an almost non existent difference. Yes, the .45 ACP bullets today perform even better, but it's hard to go beyond dead. Modern self defense ammunition makes the 9 MM a much better stopper than it was in years past. Good bullets that reliably expand almost 100% of the time, have really leveled the playing field on these 2 cartridges.  Bill T.

Timothy

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:27 AM »
Come on guys, I watched a movie the other day and darn near every bad guy died on the first round from a 9mm Glock!  You mean that ain't real life?  A few of 'em flew several feet after being shot!

;D

Angelina looked pretty though!

;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk