Author Topic: The 1911 Sucks.  (Read 15086 times)

tombogan03884

Re: The 1911 Sucks.
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »
9mm vs .45 ?
My reason for going with the .45 is that the only Semi Auto I wanted was a 1911, and let's face it, no matter what the design or mechanics, if it isn't .45ACP it isn't really a 1911.  ;D

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
Here I agree. 25 years ago, before we had the all but perfect performing bullets we have today, the .45 ACP had a major advantage over the 9 MM. Today, that gap has been closed to an almost non existent difference. Yes, the .45 ACP bullets today perform even better, but it's hard to go beyond dead. Modern self defense ammunition makes the 9 MM a much better stopper than it was in years past. Good bullets that reliably expand almost 100% of the time, have really leveled the playing field on these 2 cartridges.  Bill T.

Which is why the military should either go to a JHP round or a larger caliber.  I never have understood the ban on JHP ammo.  We can napalm them but shooting them with a hollow point is inhumane?  WTF?

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:49 AM »
Which is why the military should either go to a JHP round or a larger caliber.  I never have understood the ban on JHP ammo.  We can napalm them but shooting them with a hollow point is inhumane?  WTF?
Idiocy in purest form. At the time of the Hague Convention in 1899 modern weaponry was offending the sensibilities of folks. Like gun control advocates, they blamed the tools. "Let's make war more "humane" by limiting the lethality of munitions." Gee, what a great idea. Then we can fight longer with more troops. ::) Colin Powell put it best when he said (I'm paraphrasing) "The great inhumanity of war is the condition of war itself. The most humane thing one can do is bring the war to its swiftest possible conclusion using all available means". I say the man had a good point.
FQ13

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »
I don't get a lot of it either. Aren't shotguns banned because of either the Hague or Geneva Conventions? We've always had shotguns in war???  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »
Idiocy in purest form. At the time of the Hague Convention in 1899 modern weaponry was offending the sensibilities of folks. Like gun control advocates, they blamed the tools. "Let's make war more "humane" by limiting the lethality of munitions." Gee, what a great idea. Then we can fight longer with more troops. ::) Colin Powell put it best when he said (I'm paraphrasing) "The great inhumanity of war is the condition of war itself. The most humane thing one can do is bring the war to its swiftest possible conclusion using all available means". I say the man had a good point.
FQ13

The reason Gatling ( a doctor ) invented his gun was on the theory that if fewer men could put out more fire there would be less loss to disease, which, until fairly modern times always killed more than were killed in actual combat.
An argument in favor of automatic weapons from the Gatling till WWI was that it would make war "too ghastly to contemplate".
It is a historically verifiable fact that "brutal" direct assaults always kill fewer people than long drawn out engagements such as sieges.
It is interesting to note that the horror of the Atomic Bombs dropped on Japan killed far fewer than were killed by conventional bombing of Germany. The firebombing of Dresden killed as many as died in Hiroshima.
The Hague Conventions banning of certain types of ammo was a response to the use by England against the Boer's of a new soft point bullet made in the Arsenal at Dum Dum in India, hence the reference to dum dum bullets.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 11:59:44 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »
Thanks for citing the correct convention FQ, most people attribute jacketed rounds to the Geneva!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
The firebombing of Dresden killed as many as died in Hiroshima.

As did General Curtis LeMay when he firebombed Tokyo when he took over the B-29 Bombing campaign from Timien Island.  Bill T.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
Now that Guncrafters has the 1911 in 50 cal. isn't the .45 doomed?  LOL

Richard

PS:  ok69...just 11?  Get a Para with Dawson extensions and have 19 rounds of .45!  Oh yea, don't forget the too tight belt and heavyduty suspenders too!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »
Now that Guncrafters has the 1911 in 50 cal. isn't the .45 doomed?  LOL

Richard

PS:  ok69...just 11?  Get a Para with Dawson extensions and have 19 rounds of .45!  Oh yea, don't forget the too tight belt and heavyduty suspenders too!

That describes alla my belts!  :-[
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
My full sized Para takes 15-round mags that only stick out about 1/4". So it has nearly the capacity of a wonder-nine in a package that isn't much bigger. The alloy frame makes the fully loaded pistol weigh the same as a standard 1911. What's not to like?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk